Grouses, Gripes and Other Miscellany

Tillerman
Vendor

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:35 am

This month the Ultracrepidarian goes where none have ventured before (since this morning, at least) and upholds the veracity of his name.https://tillermantea.net/2019/08/grouses/
debunix

Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:07 am

So with you on the subject of waters....I'd add to your note the environmental cost of all that damn water being bottled in petroleum-derived plastics and shipped around the world in petroleum-fueled vehicles....the few bottled in glass costing even more in shipping fuels, so no argument accepted about 'but my ultrapure water is bottled in glass!'. Still a gripe, always, because that kind of petroleum waste is a small but real part of the environmental impacts threatening the sage grouse, among others.

And there aren't enough hours in the day to rail about pseudo-health miscellany like 'detox' and 'secrets to weight loss'. Drinking tea instead of juice or soda is a fine thing for our health, and the calm of a mindful tea session is relaxing and beneficial, but bah humbug to the rest of it.
.m.

Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:37 am

Not being a tea master, i've stocked up on a chinese slimming tea while the price is cheap. :lol:
Baisao

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:40 pm

"...just ask Peter Jones at Trident Booksellers and Café in Boulder."

Huh?
pedant
Admin

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:23 pm

Baisao wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:40 pm
"...just ask Peter Jones at Trident Booksellers and Café in Boulder."

Huh?
yeah, huh? :lol:

have you asked him, @Tillerman? what's he have to say on the issue?
Tillerman
Vendor

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:38 pm

@pedant & @Baisao I have not asked Peter directly in person as we haven't yet met "face to face." That said, we have communicated electronically and I find his views on water to be sane and sound (if a bit geeky for my taste.) You can reach Peter at: (617) 267-8688.

p.s. he knows a hell of a lot about tea too!
Baisao

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:57 pm

Hahaha! The last time I got into a conversation with someone in Boulder about water they were trying to sell me "tachyon water" at $20/oz. I'm glad to hear there is someone with sane views in Boulder. :lol:
pedant
Admin

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:05 pm

one of these days, i'm actually going to call you. and Peter, too.
pedant
Admin

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:09 pm

Baisao wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:57 pm
Hahaha! The last time I got into a conversation with someone in Boulder about water they were trying to sell me "tachyon water" at $20/oz.
tachyon water!! :lol:
amazing snake oil concept. though as a trekkie, it has a certain appeal.. ;)
Bok
Vendor

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:45 pm

Maybe not a fully researched blog entry, yet fun to read and discussion provoking!

Tea Masters
Some even call their website as such, but then maybe the French can get away with being high-brow… and I echo your sentiment, the most masterful people are usually the most reluctant to be addressed as one.

Brain loss and Intox-tea …

Vendors’ margins
On one hand I agree, on the other, some teas of very bad quality by certain vendors are shamefully overpriced – yet people seem to praise them and find the price reasonably, maybe it’s ok then.

Buying “at source”
Where to begin? A contentious topic that one. Even though I live in a tea-producing country I do almost never buy at the source for exactly the reasons you state. It takes decades and not a few yearly trips to source good tea, no matter if you breathe down the farmers neck and hold his hands while sleeping. I buy most of my teas from people who source and process teas they have reserved from farmers they work with. In Taiwan, the best teas of each harvest are spoken for, for decades. No newcomer will replace those relationships overnight. Not in Taiwan, that is not how the mentality works here. In China, maybe. The stories of sudden price increases and sold to higher bidder batches are plenty.

Water
Water is just water, important, yes. But will I wilfully put needless pressure on the environment by buying bottled plastic water? No. Other solutions will have to suffice. Convenience is not a very excuse for waste. Kind of closely connected to your last statements of sustainable and organic. Responsible use of resources not only concerns the tea, but everything related to it. French water if I am in the US? Norwegian fjord water if I live anywhere else then Scandinavia? Right… seems perfectly reasonable.

Misrepresentation of black tea as oolong
I have probably been guilty as charged in that matter in the past…
Tillerman
Vendor

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:26 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:45 pm

Buying “at source”
It takes decades and not a few yearly trips to source good tea, no matter if you breathe down the farmers neck and hold his hands while sleeping.
@Bok I have been going to Taiwan regularly for 20 years now and most of the gowers with whom I work are close friends - but I know that although I always get very, very good tea now, from some I still don't get their best (but I'll keep on trying!) Perhaps in another 20 years.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:37 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:26 pm
but I know that although I always get very, very good tea now, from some I still don't get their best (but I'll keep on trying!) Perhaps in another 20 years.
It must be kind of frustrating sometimes... got a similar situation on my consumer end. Good friends with the vendor for years, yet he openly told me that he won't sell me his best until a few more years. On the other hand what I get is good enough, I wonder how much better can it really get?
Bok
Vendor

Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:37 pm

Maybe it is also just simply a case of the numbers. The yield of the absolute premium is not very high, so even if someone is a good friend, there is not enough of it left, once you have served your oldest and best friends!

:)