(Rant alert) – Finance my tea adventures!

User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 5806
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Sun May 26, 2024 7:18 pm

Don't know if it's a subjective impression, but what's up with a recent wave of so called "tea influencers" that ask people to fund their tea travels? Crowdfunding airplane tickets and such.

I mean are there not more worthwhile causes to give a little money to? Where people actually are in need. Scratching my head... One of the suspects even is a former Nasa engineer, you'd think he could finance that by himself, no?
Andrew S
Posts: 721
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:53 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Sun May 26, 2024 8:00 pm

I read that title and I got worried for a moment that your account had been hacked into...

But thank you for reminding me why I don't use social media - I'm blissfully unaware of the world of 'influencers'.

The people who know the most are usually the ones who say the least.

Andrew
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 5806
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Sun May 26, 2024 9:20 pm

Andrew S wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 8:00 pm
I read that title and I got worried for a moment that your account had been hacked into...
Haha, thank you for your concern... you are absolutely right, often it is better to be a bit more disconnected to avoid this kind of things. Always suspicious of people who seem to be able to talk endlessly about things that are really not much to talk about. But then, this is the times we live in... Makes you appreciate "slow" places like this forum, where you still need to take a minimum of time and consideration, before blurping out platitudes and non-information.
User avatar
mbanu
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 3:45 pm

Mon May 27, 2024 2:42 am

Social media influencers rely on "movie magic"; I'm sure that the tea-craftsmen following ancient traditions are also listening to something on their phones as they work, and that the hike up tea mountain ends at a Starbucks slightly-out-of-frame. :lol: So, "Finance my tea adventures!" is really, "Finance a tea-adventure TV show where you decide where I go, and I make it fit with what you hoped you'd see."
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 5806
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Mon May 27, 2024 3:04 am

If it were at least people producing content worthy of being published and not just audio-visual pollution... but then usually the ones who are good at what they are doing, can finance this sort of thing by themselves.
Randy the Intern
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:58 am
Location: USA

Tue May 28, 2024 9:37 am

So-Han from West China Tea was doing something like this recently. He sent out an email asking for donations to fund a tea documentary or something of the sort. Not long after they were hit with eminent domain and are going to have to move their tea shop somewhere else, so the film was canceled. I think he refunded everyone who donated too (or said he would).
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 5806
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Tue May 28, 2024 9:44 am

Randy the Intern wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 9:37 am
So-Han from West China Tea was doing something like this recently. He sent out an email asking for donations to fund a tea documentary or something of the sort. Not long after they were hit with eminent domain and are going to have to move their tea shop somewhere else, so the film was canceled. I think he refunded everyone who donated too (or said he would).
That sounds at least more reasonable, to produce something with it, as opposed to just your flight ticket to travel and randomly talk about tea…
Randy the Intern
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:58 am
Location: USA

Tue May 28, 2024 2:06 pm

His tea education videos on YouTube were always pretty good. I was actually disappointed when they had to cancel it.
teacreacha7
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:23 am
Location: Colorado

Tue May 28, 2024 2:29 pm

Randy the Intern wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 2:06 pm
His tea education videos on YouTube were always pretty good. I was actually disappointed when they had to cancel it.
Agreed! I posted about meeting So-han when I went to Austin last January. He's a good guy to have tea with, if one gets the chance!
Randy the Intern
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:58 am
Location: USA

Tue May 28, 2024 3:02 pm

I'd certainly visit their shop if I was ever in that area. I've never bought tea from them online because their prices are crazy high.
GaoShan
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:06 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Thu May 30, 2024 8:39 am

Yes, this seems like a frivolous request. As others are saying, I guess people want to live vicariously through these influencers. It would be nice to be able to finance a trip to Taiwan this way, though I'm not great at writing content or taking videos/photos and I'd hardly call myself a tea expert. Even if we don't like it, these people are getting what they want so I have to give them some credit.
.m.
Posts: 880
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: Prague

Thu May 30, 2024 2:20 pm

Bok wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 7:18 pm
One of the suspects is...
OMG i know who you're talking about 😂
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 5806
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Thu May 30, 2024 7:19 pm

.m. wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 2:20 pm
OMG i know who you're talking about 😂
Wasn't hard to guess lol... I did resist the morbid curiosity to go to one of his tea gatherings. The other I have in mind is not far from you in Europe.
User avatar
Thundercleese
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:20 pm

Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:54 am

Bok wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 7:19 pm
.m. wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 2:20 pm
OMG i know who you're talking about 😂
Wasn't hard to guess lol... I did resist the morbid curiosity to go to one of his tea gatherings. The other I have in mind is not far from you in Europe.
Think of the "spiritual treasures" that you missed out on!
User avatar
the_dalu
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:45 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:07 am

Bok wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 7:18 pm
Don't know if it's a subjective impression, but what's up with a recent wave of so called "tea influencers" that ask people to fund their tea travels? Crowdfunding airplane tickets and such.

I mean are there not more worthwhile causes to give a little money to? Where people actually are in need. Scratching my head... One of the suspects even is a former Nasa engineer, you'd think he could finance that by himself, no?

Wait. People do that? lol
Post Reply