Tea evaluation template

John_B

Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:00 am

I wrote a blog post about creating an evaluation template for tea. I don't use that for writing reviews, but I've ran across versions of that type of thing before, and helped a friend by creating this version for their business purpose evaluation.

It's essentially the same types of content I consider when writing reviews: tea taste (basic tongue-based sensation), aroma / flavor (the kind of range captured on flavor / aroma wheels), mouthfeel related, aftertaste range, about flaws, match to a standard type, including evaluation related to preference, etc.

One might wonder who the audience is for such writing or discussion. Most tea enthusiasts are either just sorting through an earlier phase or have their take on this kind of analysis sorted out, and neither really need to write all that down. The same for vendors; this would only be helpful for someone working through a new form of analysis or record keeping. Judging from readership and response not so many people are interested; so that usually goes.

This mentions where there is a copy available for download, not that it would be difficult to retype it, or adjust it to a form one likes better.

http://teaintheancientworld.blogspot.co ... plate.html
Victoria
Admin

Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:40 am

Thanks for sharing this @John_B. With new teas I’ll typically log information about the tea, grams tea/ml water/temp/time, teaware used and water, and then general tasting notes especially if modifications to steeping parameters need to be made. I enjoy looking at those tasting wheels although never really refer to them :) .
LeoFox

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:25 pm

Thank you for writing this up. Some important things that might be missing from this template include astringency and some aspects mentioned by @Tillerman in his structural approach such as complexity, balance, persistence.

https://tillermantea.net/2020/06/structural/

In terms of the finer nuances of the flavor wheel, I dont trust myself enough to be so exact - considering the multiple factors that can contribute to imprecision.

More and more, I experience drinking tea like listening to a piece of music: with its progression of flavors, aromas, fragrance, aftertaste, and somatic effects. I try to convey this in my personal reports.

I also have a table for yancha where I am trying to understand price to quality correlation.
Last edited by LeoFox on Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John_B

Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:59 pm

That post is familiar. Mouthfeel and aftertaste / finish are on the table, but balance and complexity are not. Complexity would indirectly come up in describing aspects but balance is something else; that would be a good addition, even if listed in with intensity so that notes could address one or both together.

Related to flavor wheels and flavor list descriptions interpretation always causes those to vary. I don't see that as a problem, since I don't see complete and objective analysis as a good goal.

I don't really disagree with what Tillerman was saying, but everyone would need to think through the idea that all teas can be judged using the same approach and criteria for themselves. There's definitely something to that, but someone thinking the relative opposite, that what is appealing about different teas varies a lot, is also valid.

If I remember right his claim was that any tea type he is unfamiliar with can be evaluated using the same process and approach, without a learning curve, match to type concern, or placement related to other versions necessarily being an issue. It probably wasn't phrased that strongly though; there would be different ways to frame that. I definitely agree that interpretation and what is experienced as positive follow some clear generalities, so it's down to what other exceptions or concerns offset that.