Tea and teaware

Post Reply
User avatar
steanze
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:17 pm
Location: USA

Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:17 pm

I may occasionally post something here: https://shuocha.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 4123
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:59 pm

I shamefully forgot about y this thoughtful blog of yours! Thanks for reminding me, going to revisit.
User avatar
steanze
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:17 pm
Location: USA

Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:48 pm

Bok wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:59 pm
I shamefully forgot about y this thoughtful blog of yours! Thanks for reminding me, going to revisit.
I did not post anything for over 4 years, nothing shameful about forgetting about it :D

I will try to share a few thoughts about teapots and teaware when I find the time.
User avatar
steanze
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:17 pm
Location: USA

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:01 pm

I shared a few thoughts about different "interpretations" of a same Yixing shape here: https://shuocha.wordpress.com/2021/04/0 ... pretation/.
User avatar
pedant
Admin
Posts: 1173
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:35 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:58 pm

i enjoyed that. thank you, @steanze.
User avatar
Youzi
Posts: 404
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:03 pm
Location: Shaxi, Yunnan, China
Contact:

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:24 pm

steanze wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:01 pm
I shared a few thoughts about different "interpretations" of a same Yixing shape here: https://shuocha.wordpress.com/2021/04/0 ... pretation/.
Ofc. It's Shuipings. :lol:
Will you do a series on Xishi too? I really have to see some good Xishi-s. :D
User avatar
Victoria
Admin
Posts: 2550
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:33 pm
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Contact:

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:29 pm

Enjoyed reading @steanze thoughtfully written. Like solid music 🍃
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 4123
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:23 pm

Very nice!
.m.
Posts: 553
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: Zagreb
Contact:

Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:37 pm

Nice to see new thought provoking posts. :)
The story of the shuiping development during F1 is a curious one. A series of small changes, each little bit worse. Yet it's not really a matter of craftmanship since the shape itself is determined by the mold, and F1 had some great craftsmen with classic training capable to create great mold shapes (perhaps aside of the CR period). Nor does it seem a matter of contemporary design evolution, since the changes are too small to actually express fashion trends.
User avatar
steanze
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:17 pm
Location: USA

Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:16 pm

Thanks for the kind comments!
Youzi wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:24 pm
Ofc. It's Shuipings. :lol:
Will you do a series on Xishi too? I really have to see some good Xishi-s. :D
It's shuipings but it's not a post about shuipings specifically... I am more interested in starting from a point I want to make and then picking teaware that is a good example to make that point. I was actually debating on whether to go with shuiping or Ju Lun Zhu for this one, but in the end I picked shuipings because the best shuipings are better crafted than the best JLZ, so they offered more range of craftsmanship levels. If someday it turns out that Xishi is a good example for a point I want to make then maybe I will make a post about Xishi :D

.m. wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:37 pm
Nice to see new thought provoking posts. :)
The story of the shuiping development during F1 is a curious one. A series of small changes, each little bit worse. Yet it's not really a matter of craftmanship since the shape itself is determined by the mold, and F1 had some great craftsmen with classic training capable to create great mold shapes (perhaps aside of the CR period). Nor does it seem a matter of contemporary design evolution, since the changes are too small to actually express fashion trends.
Interesting thoughts. One thing to notice is that a lot of the sloppiness in the 90s F1 pot is in the handle and spout, that are not mold made. The curves of the body are not so bad. The lid though is way off in several ways. I am not sure that the late F1 molds were made by great craftsmen, I think at that point the great craftsmen were doing other things (expensive full hand pots).
Post Reply