8 Popular Tea Bag Companies That Contain Illegal Amounts of Deadly Pesticides

beforewisdom

Thu May 02, 2019 6:22 pm

The moderators of the Tea Forum On Reddit deleted this article when I tried to post it.

Discussing it with them made no difference. First they claimed it was "click bait", until I pointed out the information came from the CBC in Canada. Then they said health discussions were against the rules. The fact that the information below could help their readers avoid a potential health issues made no difference to them.

Pesticides in Tea: Is Your Favorite Tea Contaminated with Harmful Chemicals?

Twinings, Celestial Seasonings, Lipton, & Tetly are on the list.
Last edited by Victoria on Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: updated article title
Bok
Vendor

Thu May 02, 2019 8:05 pm

Nice. Good I have not touched a teabag in a while...
Chadrinkincat

Thu May 02, 2019 8:31 pm

Guess I’m finally going to have to switch to loose leaf tea.
pizzapotamus

Fri May 03, 2019 12:49 am

It isn’t only pesticides you should be concerned about in your teas, either. A lot of these teas contain ingredients like soy, and natural flavours, which are GMO-containing and pose a great health risk to those that consume them.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Bok
Vendor

Fri May 03, 2019 12:55 am

pizzapotamus wrote:
A lot of these teas contain ingredients like soy, and natural flavours, which are GMO-containing and pose a great health risk to those that consume them.
There is no limits for the human stupidity...

Show me one crop that we consume that has not been genetically modified over the millenia...
Hell, we even created our own GMO animals, they are called cats, dogs, cows etc... :roll:
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Fri May 03, 2019 10:30 am

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:31 pm
Guess I’m finally going to have to switch to loose leaf tea.
Joking? I assume everyone who continues on this forum past their first few posts, does use loose leaf tea. There should be an avatar for those of us who regularly use teabags! (Yes, I am joking.)

Let's not bother ourselves about GMOs! Life is too short to fear everything!

Reminder: Tetley, Twinings, Llpton, etc. will use tea from many of the same sources often since many companies have their bags produced by the same source. Last time that I read about this, the biggest facility for making tea bags was in the South of the USA
(Atlanta?) and owned by the United Arab Emirates. The great concern of such a producer is for each product to consistently deliver the same taste year after year. Lipton's teabags do not taste the same as Tetley's, though both may have pesticides in amounts greater than ….

Of course loose leaf tea can carry toxins. I have done some research and calculations that lead me to conclude that if I continue to drink two liters of tea daily for another twenty years, I am likely to get sick and die. (Fortunately, as an old man.) Cheers
Tillerman
Vendor

Fri May 03, 2019 11:02 am

Bok wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:55 am
pizzapotamus wrote:
A lot of these teas contain ingredients like soy, and natural flavours, which are GMO-containing and pose a great health risk to those that consume them.
There is no limits for the human stupidity...

Show me one crop that we consume that has not been genetically modified over the millenia...
Hell, we even created our own GMO animals, they are called cats, dogs, cows etc... :roll:
I am absolutely with @Bok on this issue. The argument that GMO is "not natural and therefore harmful" is silly. Plants and animals did not evolve in certain ways to be useful to humans, they evolved in certain ways to be useful to that plant or animal. That we can eat them is just is a happy circumstance (lots that we can't.) Full disclosure: my daughter's boyfriend is a geneticist who works on GMO projects.
Henk

Fri May 03, 2019 11:20 am

One of my acquaintances used to urge me to take some homeopathic/herbal medicine with the statement 'it can't be harmful, it's purely natural'. My first reaction to that 'so is strychnine' .

There's definitely cons to the way some companies are approaching GMO (in my opinion), but food safety isn't one of them.

Supposedly it's the tea bags that contain pesticides, not the companies?

If this title isn't clickbait then I don't know what is. Did you know that clickbait is 138 times more likely to make you sick to your stomach than GMO tea companies that contain pesticides? (yeah ok, I made that one up)