The effect of charcoal filtered water on oxidation fired teapots

swordofmytriumph

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:14 am

With all this talk recently about the quality of water, I was reading some old articles on Hojo's website. In this article, https://hojotea.com.my/posts-61/, hojo talks about how using charcoal filtered water with oxidation fired teapots can negatively affect the flavor of the tea. He says that the minerals in the charcoal are reduction fired and that it isn't good to use it with an oxidation fired teapot. Anybody have experience with this? Thoughts, comments or observations?
Baisao

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:42 am

swordofmytriumph wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:14 am
With all this talk recently about the quality of water, I was reading some old articles on Hojo's website. In this article, https://hojotea.com.my/posts-61/, hojo talks about how using charcoal filtered water with oxidation fired teapots can negatively affect the flavor of the tea. He says that the minerals in the charcoal are reduction fired and that it isn't good to use it with an oxidation fired teapot. Anybody have experience with this? Thoughts, comments or observations?
With respect to Hojo, he frequently takes things too far. He has an engineer's approach to an organic process, which is fine until he gets into matters of taste supported by flimsy science. The former is inherently arbitrary except for when there's universal agreement. The latter may not be helped when there has been so little study to support what we perceive.

I like his posts and do learn things from him but I suggest you try advice like this for yourself rather than taking his word for it.
swordofmytriumph

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:03 am

Cool. Guess I’ll just have to do some testing for myself. :)
Baisao

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:34 am

swordofmytriumph wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:03 am
Cool. Guess I’ll just have to do some testing for myself. :)
I think testing is a lot of fun :) Please share your results with us when you’ve determined which is best for you.
swordofmytriumph

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:21 am

Testing is really fun. Probably won’t do it for a while, because my tap water doesn’t have stuff added to it, but I’ll be moving out in the next 12-18 months, so I’ll have to either filter or buy bottled water.