Tea-derived caffeine

tolean

Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:03 am

Victoria wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:06 pm
tolean wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:46 pm
Also i had one tea ( only one) it was a gushu diang hong (but even if it was called gushu it was from ,,kind of wild old trees,, +- 100 years from a plantation that was a little bit more wild then industrial plantation and after it every time I was getting hmmm let's say horny. I wanted a woman and i was ,,strong,,. If you know what i mean :) . Not going into details but this was only one tea and it was almost every time after it.
Haha, this is an extremely marketable idea if you could just remember which wild tea it was!
I remembered it, but it finished :(
Should have taken 10 kg to be ready for my middle age))
tolean

Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:17 am

Patjulian80 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:16 pm
Victoria wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:06 pm
tolean wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:46 pm
Also i had one tea ( only one) it was a gushu diang hong (but even if it was called gushu it was from ,,kind of wild old trees,, +- 100 years from a plantation that was a little bit more wild then industrial plantation and after it every time I was getting hmmm let's say horny. I wanted a woman and i was ,,strong,,. If you know what i mean :) . Not going into details but this was only one tea and it was almost every time after it.
Haha, this is an extremely marketable idea if you could just remember which wild tea it was!
:-) Dian Hongs are my black (red) tea of choice—I'll keep an eye out for the 'gushu' label next time I'm shopping
Yeah, if you find smth similar let us know :)
polezaivsani

Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:35 pm

Odd ball young sheng puer junkie reporting in. I'm steeping mostly these teas all through Springs and Summers to some unique effects comparing to other kinds. It's so easy to liken those to the qualities of fledgling human psyche, rapt, stimulating, sometimes wild and strong, sometime rushy, yet other times a strong psychoactive sensation—an anthropomorphic double of having some experience for the first time. No idea if that affiliation is due to some physiological or psychological traits or something else.

I can recall ever experiencing a single tea that gave an uncomfortably dizzy feeling. The rest is strictly enjoyable experience, different to what I might get from older puer or other kinds of teas.
TeaGrove

Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:26 am

Patjulian80 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:51 am
So much so that I'm writing a short ebook on it...
Is it a more general book on the subject? If it's related to health what stance do you think you'll be taking?

Its interesting sheng is coming up a lot. The first and last time I had some it gave me an uncomfortable buzz. This is someone who starts their day with 3-5 cups of coffee, I found it too much!
Patjulian80

Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:25 am

TeaGrove wrote:
Patjulian80 wrote:
Is it a more general book on the subject? If it's related to health what stance do you think you'll be taking?

Its interesting sheng is coming up a lot. The first and last time I had some it gave me an uncomfortable buzz. This is someone who starts their day with 3-5 cups of coffee, I found it too much!
Hi TeaGrove,
The title is Teahead's Bible on Caffeine Management, so it's related to health and well being — with the idea that caffeine is a double-edged sword...

About sheng, a tea salesman once told me that he only drinks aged Sheng on occasion as it has a lot of 'energy' in it... I've noticed that a heicha from Laos (wild tea moacha) gives me quite a lift and a buzz — nothing negative though.
Do you drink coffee and then sheng? Just wondering.
Patjulian80

Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:30 am

polezaivsani wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:35 pm
Odd ball young sheng puer junkie reporting in. I'm steeping mostly these teas all through Springs and Summers to some unique effects comparing to other kinds. It's so easy to liken those to the qualities of fledgling human psyche, rapt, stimulating, sometimes wild and strong, sometime rushy, yet other times a strong psychoactive sensation—an anthropomorphic double of having some experience for the first time. No idea if that affiliation is due to some physiological or psychological traits or something else.

I can recall ever experiencing a single tea that gave an uncomfortably dizzy feeling. The rest is strictly enjoyable experience, different to what I might get from older puer or other kinds of teas.
Hi polezaivsani,
Thanks for replying.
How do you feel drinking older puer and other kinds of teas?
polezaivsani

Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:36 am

Patjulian80 wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:30 am
How do you feel drinking older puer and other kinds of teas?
I have less experience with old puer, but thus far it seem to have more tempered effect, maybe a notch lesser in magnitude and not as frantic. All around happy feeling is a nice state I have a tried old medicine of a puer for. I had a neutrally good uplifting stimulating effect recently from a nice yancha, though that's a rare tea and lasting effect thereof for me. I guess there is some calming effect of hei cha for me (including wet stored puer and mainly liu bao), not sure if they have less of an impact on me or just being less sensitive to such changes.

I tend to brew a certain liu an extra hard in the Winter to a solid shot of caffeine buzz. The rest of anecdotal effects would be rather peculiar outliers.
Baisao

Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:47 am

TeaGrove wrote:
Patjulian80 wrote:

That's another reason I think it isn't caffeine but something like ephedrine. It doesn't feel or behave like caffeine.
TeaGrove

Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:26 pm

@Baisao Aaah that theory makes much more sense. Keeping that in mind I'll give sheng another shot.

@Patjulian80 Interesting! Caffeine is a somewhat polarised topic, especially surrounding health benefits. And it's never going to be easy convincing the caffeine sensitive that there's any benefit :lol:
debunix

Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:18 pm

TeaGrove wrote:
And it's never going to be easy convincing the caffeine sensitive that there's any benefit
Why should you feel any need to convince the caffeine sensitive that there’s a benefit? If they’re sensitive to it and they don’t like it, fine for them and more tea for me!
aet
Vendor

Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:00 pm

I've heard form one chemist - biologist that caffeine also irritates your kidney so you might not feel being boosted ( because tolerance or you just don't realize it anymore ) but you going to wc more than you would if drinking only water or other , non-caffeine , drink.
TeaGrove

Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:14 am

@debunix Well I speak as someone who was sensitive to caffeine until I deliberately went about developing a tolerance, gradually, over a 5 year period. There is some evidence to suggest that caffeine, at least with coffee as the vehicle, can be helpful in preventing neurodegenerative disease and some cardiovascular issues. Some doctors will recommend it for the prevention of heart failure and others will shun it.

I think part of the problem is there's a lot of pseudoscience surrounding the subject so whether or not there are clear pros and cons is all murky waters.

Anyway I was having a joke because when you're caffeine sensitive it's really not funny! Overdoing it can lead to a nasty experience and even a hospital visit.
LeoFox

Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:44 am

TeaGrove wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:14 am
debunix Well I speak as someone who was sensitive to caffeine until I deliberately went about developing a tolerance, gradually, over a 5 year period. There is some evidence to suggest that caffeine, at least with coffee as the vehicle, can be helpful in preventing neurodegenerative disease and some cardiovascular issues. Some doctors will recommend it for the prevention of heart failure and others will shun it.

I think part of the problem is there's a lot of pseudoscience surrounding the subject so whether or not there are clear pros and cons is all murky waters.

Anyway I was having a joke because when you're caffeine sensitive it's really not funny! Overdoing it can lead to a nasty experience and even a hospital visit.
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; the dosage alone makes it so a thing is not a poison." Paracelsus
TeaGrove

Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:19 am

@LeoFox Wise words :)
Patjulian80

Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:29 am

TeaGrove wrote:
Baisao Aaah that theory makes much more sense. Keeping that in mind I'll give sheng another shot.

Patjulian80 Interesting!
Caffeine is a somewhat polarised topic, especially surrounding health benefits. And it's never going to be easy convincing the caffeine sensitive that there's any benefit :lol:
Well, there is definitely no nutritional requirement for caffeine!!