Spotting tea sub-cultures through the slang they use?

oeroe

Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:59 pm

I've thought that "daily drinker" is an honourable designation for cheaper tea.

Implications are that one should look for premium teas, (and be prepared to pay premium prices), and thus avoid cheap stuff. But, if some cheaper tea is a "good daily drinker", then it is cheap in a good way.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:06 pm

faj wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:54 am
Going on a limb, I would add that there might sometimes also a be a slight undertone that comes with use of this expression in this way, as if the person using it is saying "I will not hold it against you if you drink this tea often, but it is not really good enough for me". My feeling is if someone knows of an affordable tea they find really great for the price, they will use less generic wording... or maybe refrain from sharing their thoughts on that tea?
I think your onto something here...
Bok
Vendor

Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:10 pm

To add to it, daily drinker for me is the tea which is not bad enough I would not drink it, but not good enough as to that I'd spent an elaborate gongfu session on it.

Teas that I don't feel bad drinking in the office while doing other stuff or in situations with too many people, where the distrations would be too numerous as to waste a better tea on it. If a party exceeds a number of people, it is no point to bring out the gems, they will not get the attention they deserve.

Alone, or with few people, I do not want too drink anything I do not consider at least pretty good. Life's too short. If I am thirsty there is always water.
Stephen

Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:36 am

faj wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:54 am
My feeling is if someone knows of an affordable tea they find really great for the price, they will use less generic wording... or maybe refrain from sharing their thoughts on that tea?
The first rule of fight club is you don't talk about a great tea that is also a great deal. That is until you've bought enough of it! :mrgreen:

Did the term 'daily drinker' originate on TeaDB or elsewhere? I think that's where I first heard/read it used.