Corona Virus

Bok
Vendor

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:55 am

swordofmytriumph wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:36 am
How much do you think this is going to affect the early spring tea harvest?
All the areas seem to be voluntarily or forcibly cutting themselves off from outsiders to avoid spread of the virus. So buyers will have difficulty or not want to go to the farms. And the farmers might face shortages of workers and on theirs side not be able to send out tea.

I wouldn’t expect anything to run smoothly in China for the next half year at least...
Victoria
Admin

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:18 am

Sweetestdew wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:31 am
Just an update on the china situation.

Recently China has begun to relax on isolation restrictions.
A few days ago the kaui di, delivery services, resumed work.
Videos of highways being unblocked are going around social media.

That being said many businesses are still being forced to stay closed. This includes shipping services.
(only packages that had already been sent out are being delivered).
Internet control is hightened, which is causing a lot of VPNs not to work.

I suspect things to be closed for at least a week more, maybe going into early march.
If you are waitting on tea from me or any other China based company, you will have to wait a little while longer but hopefully not much.
Thank you for this update. I see you are back in Huangshan, be safe my friend.
swordofmytriumph

Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:16 am

Bok wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:55 am
All the areas seem to be voluntarily or forcibly cutting themselves off from outsiders to avoid spread of the virus. So buyers will have difficulty or not want to go to the farms. And the farmers might face shortages of workers and on theirs side not be able to send out tea.

I wouldn’t expect anything to run smoothly in China for the next half year at least...
It's so sad. So many people affected by this and for such a long time.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:54 pm

Next place to watch is Japan…

Myself I have canceled an upcoming Japan trip. Taiwans government has already put Japan on the to-watch list(next is only essential travel, followed by don’t go), as they seem to be handling the situation rather badly.

They did not even have a disease control body to deal with an epidemic, they are just building it now! The government literally said in a press conference that they have no way or idea how to trace back where the confirmed Japanese cases got the virus from (not talking about the cruise ship which is also handled badly it seems).
swordofmytriumph

Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:29 am

Bok wrote:
They did not even have a disease control body to deal with an epidemic, they are just building it now!
Really? That's crazy. Are they building it now as in response to the coronavirus, or were they just starting to create it when this happened?
Bok
Vendor

Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:53 am

swordofmytriumph wrote:
Bok wrote:
They did not even have a disease control body to deal with an epidemic, they are just building it now!
Really? That's crazy. Are they building it now as in response to the coronavirus, or were they just starting to create it when this happened?
Sadly, the former... and they have an especially high risk with so many old people still working. Basically all taxi drivers and a lot of airport personal are senior citizens. Most at risk to die and most exposed due to their line of work.
swordofmytriumph

Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:58 am

Bok wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:53 am
swordofmytriumph wrote:
Bok wrote:
Sadly, the former... and they have an especially high risk with so many old people still working. Basically all taxi drivers and a lot of airport personal are senior citizens. Most at risk to die and most exposed due to their line of work.
Dang that sucks.
aet
Vendor

Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:59 am

Yiwu has closed the gates . First videos are circling on wechat . Tea pickers are gathering on the road which is blocked due to quarantine restrictions. Which way this is going to play on tea prices this year I do not dare to guess. Yet, there is a always "good" reason to raise the prices ....isn't it? :-DDD