Sadly Norbu is closing, all inventory on sale;
30% off coupon code: GoodbyeNorbuRetail
https://www.norbutea.com/

https://www.facebook.com/21228670890650 ... =0&sfns=mo
pedant
Admin

Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:39 am

:(

i've never ordered from norbu before. any strong recommendations for anything in particular?
Victoria
Admin

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:04 am

@debunix has been ordering from him for years. In the past I’ve ordered various Alishan and LiShan but noticed the current lineup has a lot of sheng and other aged teas.
debunix

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:40 am

EEEEPPPPP!
debunix

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:57 am

Being selfish about certain things, I have secured as much Alishan Red Oolong as I could, and now I can recommend that, and the Ye Sheng log (delicately lemony and floral in the past, not sure what it might have aged into now, but I bought another few chunks to see), and the Yong De aged puerh leaf (didn't order this myself because I have some cakes).

The saddest part for me is that I could trust Greg's palate to interpret his descriptions accurately as to whether or not I would like a tea. It wasn't that I'd be equally enthusiastic about every one (although that was usually the case), but rather that I could read between the lines and know I'd really love this one and should certainly take a flyer on that one. So while there are a lot more online sources out there, there is *none* that I can trust to the same degree because of duration of relationship and diversity of teas.
Chadrinkincat

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:59 am

its a bummer to see another long time vendor disappear.

On a side note Houde is officially offline now too.
.m.

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:13 am

Chadrinkincat wrote:

There is this new website for Houde:
https://houdefinetea.com/
DailyTX

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:41 am

.m. wrote:
Chadrinkincat wrote:

I remember I browsed through HouDe's old website a year or two ago for ROC Yixing. Anyone purchased a pot from HouDe before want to chime in on the quality? :)
DailyTX

Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:22 pm

debunix wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:57 am
Being selfish about certain things, I have secured as much Alishan Red Oolong as I could, and now I can recommend that, and the Ye Sheng log (delicately lemony and floral in the past, not sure what it might have aged into now, but I bought another few chunks to see), and the Yong De aged puerh leaf (didn't order this myself because I have some cakes).

The saddest part for me is that I could trust Greg's palate to interpret his descriptions accurately as to whether or not I would like a tea. It wasn't that I'd be equally enthusiastic about every one (although that was usually the case), but rather that I could read between the lines and know I'd really love this one and should certainly take a flyer on that one. So while there are a lot more online sources out there, there is *none* that I can trust to the same degree because of duration of relationship and diversity of teas.
@debunix
Thanks for the recommendation, ordered some red oolong to try and their Pu erh log
pedant
Admin

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:00 pm

note that he has the coupon code misspelled at the top of the site (three os in goodbye instead of two), so if you copy and paste it, it won't work.
debunix

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:50 pm

Copy paste from farewell message works, though
Pants404

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:54 pm

I attempted to purchase the teas recommended by Debunix, along with a few others, but I was quite disappointed to find they don't post outside of the US.
I have purchased enough tea recently from multiple stores, so I don't think I need more now anyways.
oolongfan

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:01 pm

I will second debunix comments. I would buy any of Greg's teas untasted, such is the confidence I have in his palate and descriptive powers. Having said that, I appreciated the many samples shared generously, including those from his personal collection. I loved the small but diverse selections on the site. While sometimes I would be frustrated to fall in love with a tea, only to see it disappear a few years later, I enjoyed the adventure of being forced to discover new teas (as I tend to stick to my 'tried and true teas).

The quality was always stellar and very reasonably priced. From the lowest priced to the highest, the quality was always top notch. I never had a badly made tea from Norbu.

I never worried about provenance or quality of aged teas. The 1980s era CNNP Yellow Mark sheng is the best tea in my collection, just bought another. Sadly missed out on buying the 1990s Green Mark , but Greg was kind enough to send me a sample...which was fabulous and made me regret not getting one before they sold out. Both teas were vastly underpriced, especially given the quality and aging.

Norbu was my introduction to fine tea. Prior to that it was Twinnings or NYC Chinatown oolongs. I discovered Norbu several years ago. Shortly after finding Norbu, I was diagnosed with kidney disease, forcing a sad hiatus from tea. Years later, my kidneys are doing better and tea was back on the menu. I was delighted to find out that Norbu was still around. Now only a year or so later, Norbu is closing its retail store..an end of an era for me in my tea journey.

I consider Greg an informal mentor of sorts. He would share ifnormation and samples freely, the intention always to educate and never simply to push a sale. I appreciated information shared informally on various tea related subjects, given always with humility and as a personal perspective as opposed to an authoritative view. I think Norbu was unique in that it was small enough to allow for this wonderful flow of information. Essence of Tea, is probably the closest vendor relationship in my little tea world (The Mandarins Tea Rooms too, when it was still in business). Other vendors are larger operations, carrying a vast array of tea to appeal to many tastes and budgets, as opposed to a few selected teas reflecting the owber's palate. While I love those other types of vendors, I find more of a tea education in the smaller vendors like Norbu, whose selection reflect the certain vision and taste in tea and who share information so freely and humbly. Please forgive me if this makes no sense, I am still so new in my tea journey.

I am grateful to fellow forum members who shared their Norbu experiences over time. Hopefully we can continue to do so in the near future - at least before our stockpiles run out
Chadrinkincat

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:25 pm

.m. wrote:
Chadrinkincat wrote:

Interesting, thanks. Are you sure that’s a new site? I believe most of those yixing sold out awhile ago
Bok
Vendor

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:47 pm

But there might be a silver lining at the horizon – at least the good-bye message hints to a new venture happening in the future...

Selling premium, select tea for the Western market still is a real niche(and probably always will be). A lot of passion and commitment is needed for very little returns to me it seems... I've been toying with the idea a couple of times seen my geographical advantage, but it just seems not worth the effort.

Kudos to the ones who do it nonetheless!