Shipping from China update

aet
Vendor

Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:42 am

EMS has announced this morning no discounts anymore for businesses , so those 40-60% discounts are gone ( 8 countries for the moment ) . Which means to some countries like US or CAN for example the price is doubled.
Also major fees are introduced to e-express for some countries ( for US or CAD makes almost same price as regular EMS now ) and the way they calculate.

e-packet also went up on price for some countries , but still it's not that crazy like those two above , so if you order bigger parcels I'd recommend you to ask your vendor split in e-packet parcels ( if can't offer any cheaper and time reasonable option instead ).

so just quick update

Cheers!
tjkdubya
Vendor

Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:20 pm

What a rude awakening that was...
GaoShan

Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:35 pm

This is sad news indeed. The end of cheap shipping may mean the end of my ability to buy anything other than cheap tea, and will certainly turn off many other consumers. I also have a feeling they'll be able to justify continuing this after the pandemic is over. :cry:
GaoShan

Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:51 pm

I wonder if there are alternative international shipping options other than FedEx or DHL.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:11 am

GaoShan wrote:
I wonder if there are alternative international shipping options other than FedEx or DHL.
There are, but they are slooooow... but apart from price sensitive, most customers will also be impatient. Understandably so for a consumer good as tea.

A wise man said this to me once:
Fast, Cheap, Good Quality – you can only pick two.
tjkdubya
Vendor

Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:46 am

GaoShan wrote:
This is sad news indeed. The end of cheap shipping may mean the end of my ability to buy anything other than cheap tea, and will certainly turn off many other consumers. I also have a feeling they'll be able to justify continuing this after the pandemic is over. :cry:
Nobody wins by artificially keeping the shipping costs up. They will come down when they come down.

Looking at the countries currently affected (US Canada Australia New Zealand and a few S. American countries) it seems driven by lack of flights.
GaoShan

Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:50 am

Bok wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:11 am
GaoShan wrote:
There are, but they are slooooow... but apart from price sensitive, most customers will also be impatient. Understandably so for a consumer good as tea.

A wise man said this to me once:
Fast, Cheap, Good Quality – you can only pick two.
If I had to compromise on any of these, it would be speed. While I love being able to get my tea in a couple weeks, paying 20 to 30% or more of my order in shipping fees is too much. I'm sure those with deeper pockets would disagree, however.
GaoShan

Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:55 am

tjkdubya wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:46 am
GaoShan wrote:
Nobody wins by artificially keeping the shipping costs up. They will come down when they come down.

Looking at the countries currently affected (US Canada Australia New Zealand and a few S. American countries) it seems driven by lack of flights.
No, nobody wins, except perhaps the shipping companies. I hope this is really due to a lack of flights and that it will eventually sort itself out. I have enough tea to get by until Gaoshan season next spring, if not longer. :P Maybe this will finally force me to drink those aging Darjeelings...
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:30 am

GaoShan wrote:
nobody wins, except perhaps the shipping companies. I hope this is really due to a lack of flights and that it will eventually sort itself out. I have enough tea to get by until Gaoshan season next spring, if not longer. :P Maybe this will finally force me to drink those aging Darjeelings...
In the USA the Trump-appointed man who is in charge of our post offices has been dismantling & ruining our service. Remarkably, it seems to be almost impossible to remove him from his position despite terrible, unreasonable policies & changes that can only be explained by the fact that that same man's heavily involvement & investment in business that benefits from the reduced services of the US Postal Service. So, now sending a package from Boston to Canada can cost about as much as it costs to get the same package from Taiwan.

Around the world more care is taken for the screening of packages because of Covid 19 which is a considerable expense.

Etcetera....So many reasons for prices to go up!

I hope that in < 2 years, I can visit Taiwan & carry home tea, a few kilograms or more, in my baggage makes me feel rich!
Noonie

Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:22 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:30 am
GaoShan wrote:
nobody wins, except perhaps the shipping companies. I hope this is really due to a lack of flights and that it will eventually sort itself out. I have enough tea to get by until Gaoshan season next spring, if not longer. :P Maybe this will finally force me to drink those aging Darjeelings...
In the USA the Trump-appointed man who is in charge of our post offices has been dismantling & ruining our service. Remarkably, it seems to be almost impossible to remove him from his position despite terrible, unreasonable policies & changes that can only be explained by the fact that that same man's heavily involvement & investment in business that benefits from the reduced services of the US Postal Service. So, now sending a package from Boston to Canada can cost about as much as it costs to get the same package from Taiwan.

Around the world more care is taken for the screening of packages because of Covid 19 which is a considerable expense.

Etcetera....So many reasons for prices to go up!

I hope that in < 2 years, I can visit Taiwan & carry home tea, a few kilograms or more, in my baggage makes me feel rich!
@Ethan Kurland, it was worth the price though, the tea I've had so far has been really good :mrgreen: