Ethan Kurland

Vendor news and self-promotion
pedant
Admin

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:14 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:35 pm
FATHER'S LOVE: Organic, traditionally roasted oolong from top of Mount Li aged 5 years.
CHAMPIONSHIP BLACK: Competition-winning, organic black tea.
pretty sure i still have an unopened pack of 2011 father's love. i've been saving it. it was very good tea in 2016. for sure one of the best hongshui-like teas i've tried, and i don't know if saving it this long will make it better or worse. considering i haven't tried it in years, i probably won't even be able to tell if the gamble paid off.

if the one you have now is the 2014 tea, then that means it's at the same stage as the 2011 one was back then (5 years old). :mrgreen:

the championship black is also really good.
Victoria
Admin

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:39 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:30 pm
Victoria wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:17 pm
Yeah, I got that LiShan part Bok ... lol. I’m assuming not all teas produced on Mount Li are LiShan or called that? Or is it so small an area that only one cultivar and only one tea is produced?
In fact very likely yes, they are all called Lishan. Even if they are only in the close proximity and technically not on there. Better price if it is called Lishan. Not many in Taiwan proper care about some small mountains name, they want the big three: Lishan, Alishan, Shanlinxi. Anything else matters little to most. Kind of frustrating for us nosy foreigners who want to know all the exact details :mrgreen:
The most common cultivar for high mountain is Chin-hsin (Qing Xin). But, I’d be surprised if it is the only one, considering there are some wild varieties there as well like Camellia formosensis (Theaceae). Then there are various oolong from LiShan (Pear Mountain) named for their different growing areas and elevations like; Cui Feng (翠峰) oolong, 2000 meters Cui Feng area of LiShan; Tsuei Luan oolong grown at 2000 meters in Tsuei Luan district; Wu Ling oolong is grown at 1800-2200 meters in the Wu Ling mountain area; Hua Gang Oolong grown at the highest elevation of Li Shan (Pear Mountain) 2400 meters.... Would be interesting to one day try all side by side :) .
Bok
Vendor

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:48 pm

Victoria wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:39 pm
The most common cultivar for high mountain is Chin-hsin (Qing Xin). But, I’d be surprised if it is the only one, considering there are some wild varieties there as well like Camellia formosensis (Theaceae). Then there are various oolong from LiShan (Pear Mountain) named for their different growing areas and elevations like; Cui Feng (翠峰) oolong, Cui Feng area of LiShan; Tsuei Luan oolong grown in Tsuei Luan district; Wu Ling oolong is grown in the Wu Ling mountain area; Hua Gang Oolong grown at the highest elevation of Li Shan (Pear Mountain) 2400 meters.... Would be interesting to one day try all side by side :) .
Yes, but my point was that most sellers in Taiwan won't tell you that precisely, where a tea is from. Personally I think it would be anecdotal information at best, the difference in taste is marginal. It is even so small when going from premium Lishan to DYL for example that you can confuse the two easily. More distance in between the growing areas, Alishan - Lishan etc. it becomes a little more obvious.

Another factor is the "style" of the producer/tea maker, I find it sometimes more easy to recognise a certain shops teas, rather than the actual exact denomination.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:27 am

I have initiated threads in the General spot a few times hoping to generate a lot of discussion; & usually failed at doing so. Now writing "Mt. Li" creates a conversation, wow!

Anyway, Father's Love has been called a Lishan tea. I never asked about the cultivar. Father's Love is a name created for me because the tea is not usually sold to people like me. (I am lucky because I am a friend of Bok whom the family likes a lot & because I look like Santa Claus.). The same type of leaves are used for tea that will not be aged, not just for aging. I think that is not every year.

The tea was in bamboo baskets which are rotated every 20 - 30 minutes as it was roasted over charcoal for 2 - 3 days ("traditional roasting) making for a heavy roast that does not taste charred; &,the aging makes this tea smooth.

Others here know a lot more about tea than I do; yet, I must say that I doubt Father's Love will improve much in its vacuum packs. I have seen tea sealed in special ceramic urns for aging. To age well, I think the tea would need to breath more than vacuum packs allow. (So, Pedant you might want to use what you have soon. If I am wrong, & you really are sorry you opened the pack, I'll see if I can get you a packet of 20 year old.)

When sampling this year's black teas, Championship Black seemed very much like last year's. I'll write about it after I drink some more. I did not like last year's Ruby Black 18 & 21. This year's seem like the better quality of a couple of years ago.
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
debunix

Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:07 am

I need to drink down my black tea supplies quicker so I can try some of these lovely teas.....but in summer heat, I want cool-brewed oolongs. I have not had the same kind of success brewing black teas cool, because the long time seems to bring out some bitterness even in those that I really enjoy brewed up short and fairly dilute. I've been very pleased by how well some complex deep fruity oolongs like Norbu's Red Alishan and several Korean Balhyochas have taken to drinking after hot start/long cool infusion, with the fruit and sweet very forward, and a nice spicy base.

Finally, the question: have you tried any of these Ruby Blacks brewed cooler, or brewed hot and diluted to drink chilled for summer?
Bok
Vendor

Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:15 am

@debunixruby black is a classic cold brew tea in Taiwan, actually almost better that way! High mountain black is also good, they won’t get as bitter and acidic as generic black teas. A few leaves suffice and leave in the fridge overnight.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:59 pm

debunix wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:07 am
Finally, the question: have you tried any of these Ruby Blacks brewed cooler, or brewed hot and diluted to drink chilled for summer?
After using leaves for 2 or 3 normal infusions, a few times I have put the leaves of Ruby Blacks into a water bottle & filled it with room-temperature water. I use 4 to 5 x the normal amount of water for this slow, room-temperature steeping. The result is pleasant, tea water or weak tea that I drink at room temperature.
debunix

Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:55 pm

Cool!

(literally and figuratively)
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:27 pm

Tea from TAIWAN:

AGED, TRADITIONALLY-ROASTED, LISHAN OOLONG (Picked & rolled by hand):

1. Organic: FATHER LOVE: Highest quality leaves from high from the producer's family farm high up Mt. Li were carefully selected for medium oxidation then were carefully charcoal-roasted for 2 1/2 days in bamboo baskets that were rotated every 20 - 30 minutes; then, the leaves were aged 6 years in sealed ceramic urns. Drinkers enjoy delicious flavor that is pronounced yet smooth w/ a subtle complexity. If savoring the tea, one might pick out specific notes (sometimes tart fruits, sometimes very mild spice). No tea is better for very long sessions. A modest amount of leaves is good for several excellent infusions. An opened pack that is tightly banded or clipped may be used for years. 50 grams $50.

2. Aged 22 years: Harvested 1998: This is very much like Father Love in its origins & production but is a more muted brew great for drinking in copious amounts (i.e., it is very easy on the body). When drinking this in 2 sessions with tea masters, I noticed that when conversation was interesting to them, they would not drink. I think this means that this tea is special enough to deserve drinkers' full attention. A modest amount of leaves is good for several excellent infusions. A tightly-closed, opened pack may be used for years. 75 grams $60.

GAOSHAN (lightly-oxidized, high-altitude oolong): Note: These leaves (of Spring 2020) are better than usual. A modest amount of leaves are good for several excellent infusions:

1. SHANLINXI: Excellent, refreshing green oolong that produces sweetness & floral notes along with vegetal taste similar to the other gaoshan. 50 grams $20.

2. LONGFANSHIU: Refreshing green flavor that is tempered by the light oxidation & very light sweetness. Tasty flavor builds up in drinkers' mouths after 2 or 3 rounds. (Picked & rolled by hand.) 50 grams $40.

3. DAYULING: These wonderful green leaves were produced perfectly to let us enjoy top quality lightly roasted oolong. So well balanced & delicious. Some pleasant buildup of a flavor slightly different than what is first in one's mouth helps make this tea special. A couple of times a year, a regular drinker of this DYL may be surprised by to experience some most pleasant, light chaqi. (Picked & rolled by hand.) 40 grams $38.

ORGANIC BLACK TEA:

1. CHAMPIONSHIP BLACK: Top quality, pesticide- free LIshan leaves are perfectly processed to give drinkers a full, dynamic, delicious enjoyment of black tea. For many people this is not only their favorite black tea but also one of their favorites of everything they drink. Good for 2 excellent infusions with Western preparation or many infusions when prepared gongfu style. 60 grams $48.

2. ALISHAN BLACK: Various tasty flavors of this tea can be highlighted by varying steeping time. Fuller in body than oolong but has complex array of flavors like well-oxidized, unroasted oolong. Good for 2 excellent infusions. 75 grams $40.

ORIENTAL BEAUTY (THNG FANG MEI JEA): Free of pesticides:

An interesting & complex OB, this cultivar is not the one that is most commonly used for OB. Compelling as tartness & touch of spice are grounded in a mild sweetness in a comforting way. The brew seems has unique balance & refinement that especially pleases people who usually don't get thrilled by by drinking the kind of teas that we focus on on teaforum. The tea offered here is from a rare, exceptionally dynamic season that shows how much more OB can offer. Prepared Western style, leaves are good for 3 infusions. Though not priced so, this is vintage tea. 50 grams $35.

ORGANIC WHITE TEA from NEPAL:

SILVER TIPS: Delicate leaf-buds provide a few infusions of wonderful fresh flavors. At first, flavors are very delicate then come on stronger as most pleasant aftertaste. Some drinkers quickly enjoy pleasant cha-qi feeling in head. Can be steeped for very short times; lengthy steeping provides deeper flavor that is more immediately (one need wait for the aftertaste to kick in). Especially good for drinking in large amounts & enjoying Himalayan flavors & qualities in a gentle way. 40 grams $20; 90 grams $40.

To order send me a PM or email merrill23k@yahoo.com. $8 postage for addresses in USA,
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:28 am

I updated my list of teas in the post above this one. All but the Gaoshan (green oolong) are only sold here. Please look at the list & PM w/ ?s or orders. thanks
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:03 pm

Please note changes to my list of teas that is 2 posts above this one.

Also, I only have 2 packs of 50 grams of Oriental Beauty available & 1 pack of 40 grams of dayuling.

Word is that weather for tea from Taiwan this Spring has been very good. Nonetheless, one might want to get some extra tea now, not only because weather can get nasty but also because the world is in a troublelsome state. Shipment of tea could be effected.

2 white teas from Nepal are en route to me. Should arrive in about 2 weeks. I'll post when they do.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:23 pm

2 organic white teas have arrived from Nepal:

Silver Tips & Snowbuds. Now included at bottom of list posted in October (a few posts above this) & edited today.

Only one 50-gram pack of Oriental Beauty available.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:51 pm

Back in stock:

Championship Black: Favorite black tea of many & even favorite tea for some. See description in list of teas a few posts above, for this dynamic, organic tea from Taiwan. Now in packs of 60 grams.

Now in 2 sizes of vacuum packs: Father's Love is now also available in a 50-gram vacuum pack as well as packs of 75 grams.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed May 27, 2020 1:28 pm

Additions to available teas ( on list several posts above this one):

Gaoshan Spring 2020 from Taiwan:

In 50-gram vacuum packs:

SHANLINXI: From slightly higher altitude than previous years (now around 1800 meters high) this is very much the same & very slightly better (for my palate). Slightly floral, fresh, smooth, without bitterness, this easy to prepare oolong remains the very best value for money & tea that belongs in the stock of anyone who likes slightly oxidized oolong. Varying parameters can highlight different flavors that the tea offers from sweetness to hints of minerals. Western preparation makes 3 excellent infusions. $20.

LONGFANSHIU: Wonderful green flavor that the light oxidation tempers perfectly. Wet leaves give refreshing aroma & look beautiful. Lingering flavor coats one's mouth pleasurably. Some people use the word "unami" for this tea when drinking the 3rd infusion. Prepared Western style leaves are good for several rounds. I definitely prefer using much smaller amount of leaves than for most goashan & quick steeping; others don't. A real find since this type of green oolong is often unpleasantly bitter & this one is not ruined by such bitterness. $40.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:33 am

Addition to list of teas available from me via private message:

DAYULING, Spring 2020: Harvested later than much of this Spring's crops & not hurt by frost, it is top quality. Prepared Western style these leaves harvested & rolled by hand are good for several infusions. Varying steeping times can highlight your favorite flavor of the dynamic array of tastes. Well-balanced & delicious. 40 grams vacuum packs sell for only $40.