Ethan Kurland

Vendor news and self-promotion
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:46 am

Current list of teas available is last post of page 8. Orders can be sent to merrill23k@yahoo.com or PM me here. Cheers

Dear Teaforum members,

I only sell tea that I like & drink myself, mostly from Taiwan, but sometimes I offer tea from Nepal & Thailand. I sell tea for more than the leaves cost me (= gross profit), but the only benefit is defraying costs of tea-related travel & extensive sampling. My goal is to be able to obtain & afford excellent tea & to share my finds. Being a very small-scale vendor allows this. Teaforum is the only way I reach out for customers. I have a few other customers from personal contact.

Years back one of my nieces moved here from Israel & created a website for me, that is not working. I had thought it would be a way for me to get to know her. It was a huge mistake for me to even start to go that route. Abandoning the project somehow insulted my niece so she would not even take it down for me. So, if you come across anything, ignore it. I don't even know how to totally remove it from web. I've never been a Facebook guy nor a chatroom guy etc.

Many people who get tea from me do not prepare as I do. Yet, I make suggestions prepartions.

I like discussing anything about the teas by email (merrill23k@yahoo.com), PMs, or phone. List of current teas available is last post of page 8. Cheers
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:31 am, edited 6 times in total.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:43 am

Mod Edit: moved post down
Ethan, You can create your own Introductory Post with links and I will pin it to the top of page for you.

Meanwhile, I have a question; do you still have Himalayan Orange ?
Ferg gifted it to me along with Jun Chiyabari Organic Black. I really enjoyed what i think is HOR. A few of us think the labels were switched though.

HOR, Himalayan Orange & Jun Chiyabari Organic Black: What I liked about one over the other was; sweet, spices, malty, mahogany forest like flavors and aroma.
The other one was more muted generally and woody.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:36 am

Thanks, Victoria. You so kindly have given how I post more thought than I have. Besides usual awkwardness with computer stuff, I am dumbfounded by suddenly getting into a cooperative that usually takes 1 1/2 to 2 years of waiting to move to the top of the list. It only took several months for me. Now I need to deal with my possessions. Looking at boxes in the basement, I realize that I have accumulated things I haven't touched for years. Nonetheless, should be moved 90% in a week or so.

Then I'll do the links but not until I fix the site. I am not happy with it and I have teas to add.

The tea that you prefer is the HOR. Your descriptions and your photographs make it clear that is the preferred one. I do have lots of Himalayan Orange and can pack the amount you request. Cheers
Victoria
Admin

Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:31 am

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:36 am
Thanks, Victoria. You so kindly have given how I post more thought than I have. Besides usual awkwardness with computer stuff, I am dumbfounded by suddenly getting into a cooperative that usually takes 1 1/2 to 2 years of waiting to move to the top of the list. It only took several months for me. Now I need to deal with my possessions. Looking at boxes in the basement, I realize that I have accumulated things I haven't touched for years. Nonetheless, should be moved 90% in a week or so.

Then I'll do the links but not until I fix the site. I am not happy with it and I have teas to add.

The tea that you prefer is the HOR. Your descriptions and your photographs make it clear that is the preferred one. I do have lots of Himalayan Orange and can pack the amount you request. Cheers
Ethan, you can update your introduction with a link later. I’ll PM you regarding the HOR, no rush in sending that either. Cheers
lac63

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:14 pm

Hi Ethan,

if it really is so appreciated by Victoria
will have to try, let us know in time when
you can order, tell me about some green tea too
that you consider special, to date I have only tasted Kukitcha

Good luck!

Lluis Abad
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:43 pm

Lac,

Try as I might
I cannot keep my reply tight
In the confines of this style,
Form, length and meter,
Not even for a short while.

So, PM sent. Cheers
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:01 pm

Current list of teas, page 7, second post
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:10 pm

Edit: I would like very much for you to try some of "MY" teas. (not "your" teas) I was probably thinking I would like to try yours. lol
Victoria
Admin

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:03 pm

Ethan, that's a good deal I'd like to try some of your offerings so will pm you. Regarding HOR when was this one purchased/processed, and in your opinion what is optimal shelf life?
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:46 pm

The HOR is from late summer 2015. I don't know whether it is I or the tea that changed in the 2 years that I have had it. I do know that I used to steep it for 2 minutes in boiling water but now steep it for 30 seconds or so in slightly cooler water (about 95C). The HOR's flavor seems the same to me; however, the aroma may be a little weaker (or I have gotten used to it after so many preparations).

It seems to me that highly oxidized tea is good for a few years or more when stored well. I hope some day I have a feeling or knowledge about optimal shelf life. I don't now. My buying in quantity happens when I have a feeling that a tea is special and very good value for $. Cheers
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:10 pm

[quote="Ethan Kurland" post_id=474 time=1509656491 user_id=8

Black tea: (All of these teas provide 2 excellent infusions & a good third infusion from a modest amount of leaves)
Taiwan, 2017:
Sinensis: An excellent, flavorful tea that pleases and satisfies with nothing coming into play to diminish a session (such as bitterness nor astringency).

#21: A cultivar created from sinensis and assamica that I always found unimpressive until tasting this one in September. Unique, so tasty and satisfying with no negative aspects.

Championship Black: This pesticide-free,highest farm tea (like the 2015 produced by the same farmer/teamaster) is remarkably forthright with so many nuances of what we may think of as standard black tea flavors. It is not so much different than sinensis listed above yet so much more impressive. This works very well gongfu style as well as Western.
Nepal, 2015:
Himalayan Orange from Jun Chiyabari: A flavorful, lightly astingent, organic tea that falls into the realm of top darjeelings is unique as a flavorful late summer flush. Many people gongfu this (I don't).

from Taiwan: Oolongs harvested and rolled by hand:

Spring 2017: Green/Green Oolong: Perfect 8: (My name because at a party, 8 people liked it and each person described it differently.) In Taiwan called green, here called oolong, this tea gives plenty of fresh mountain flavors (source Shanlanxi1600m) without bitterness often coming with green tea; it also gives gaoshan huigan; the sweet aftertaste accentuated if one sucks in his cheeks. A small amount of leaf provides 4 good infusions.
Winter 2017:
Medium Roast: High Roller: 2400m up Lishan I love to compare this traditionally roasted oolong to Special 5 to learn about the effect of roast versus traditional roast and the effect of a bit more oxidation. Excellent and a great tea to play with.
Winter 2013:
Aged, well oxidized, & medium/heavily roasted: Father's Love: A great product of a great teamaster, organic leaves from 2500m up Lishan were picked at the ideal time of day (noon) and treated most carefully through oxidation and traditional charcoal roasting. So many smooth flavors, mellow, good for many infusions...... a masterpiece.

[/quote]
Will be traveling and not offering samples until March. Website will be inactive also. Cheers.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:54 pm

Spring 2018 Teaforum Celebration:

Beautiful day in Boston today & I just booked flights to stay with my lady in Thailand.....

From today until May 10th, members of Teaforum may contact me to buy one 50-gram packet of dayuling or fushoushan for $45 or one of each for $89. S&H for continental USA $7.

PM me, don't go to website....

Cheers
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed May 02, 2018 11:18 am

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:54 pm
Spring 2018 Teaforum Celebration:
until May 10th, members of Teaforum may contact me to buy one 50-gram packet of dayuling or fushoushan for $45 or one of each for $89. S&H for continental USA $7.

PM me, don't go to website....
Update: one packet of DYL & one packet of FSS are still available. $45 for either one; or, $89 for both, plus $7 for shipping in USA.
Thanks.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:02 pm

As is often the case, I have bought more tea than I will personally consume; &, I need to raise $ for trip to Thailand next month. So, only offered to Teaforum members:

Taiwan: In vacuum packs:

from 1300m - 1600m up Shanlanxi, PERFECT, a very flavorful gaoshan offering fresh, mountain experience. All around excellent, no negatives, hardly oxidized. In USA often called oolong, in Taiwan, called green. 60 grams $17.

FOUSHOUSHAN: It might be in the same category as PERFECT. So, one can live without it; however, if you try it, you will know that it is so much better. Not really so expensive because one gets so many infusions from modest amount of leaves. 50 grams $53; 60 grams $62.

Roasted oolong: COMPETITION: Perhaps this is a winner because it satisfies desire for roasted flavor without displeasing those who don't want to taste only "baked tea" (if you know what I mean). This tea hits the sweet spot with touch of tartness etc. combining wondefully. 100 grams $35.

RUBY JADE21: This is the only example of this black tea cultivar that I liked after trying about 10. Excellent & unique. 75 gr. $26.

CHAMPIONSHIP BLACK: The best camelia sinensis fromTaiwan. Dynamic array of flavors, much more complex & durable than one expects from a black tea. 75 grams $26; 100 grams $35.

Nepal: In thick Kraft paper/foil re-sealable ziplock pouches:

HIMALAYAN ORANGE: All the muscatel flavors etc. from good single estate darjeeling. Without astringency & like a white tea if flash-brewed. The same leaves can make a much bolder brew if steeped more than 20 seconds, & a couple of minutes.....These leaves are not new & now provide 2 infusions rather than a few. Still an excellent organic offering from Jun Chiyabari & the product of Dhankuta's best tea season. 85 grams $17.

Postage $7 regardless of size of order. Glad to answer ?s. Cheers
Victoria
Admin

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:43 pm

For this special sale should we PM you, or go to your web site to order?