Ethan Kurland

Vendor news and self-promotion
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:06 am

List of teas & information for ordering has been updated. See the post of June 5, 2021 near the bottom of this page.
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:23 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:27 pm
Current list -- June 5, 2021 below.
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:14 am

It seems the website is down?
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:25 pm

I don't use a website. One day one of my nieces insisted on putting me on Facebook & on another day started Ethan & Tea or whatever. I don't do social media & was unsuccessful in a lame attempt to delist myself & the site. My niece promised to remove me but has not. Unknown to me who had never had much contact with her before she moved to Boston, she has some mental health issues. She decided that I let her down....

Anyway, I sell only here on teaforum except for a few people who used to see me at a few festivals. List of teas a few posts below: Post of June 5, 2021
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:53 am

List of available below -- June 5, 2021
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 18 times in total.
LeoFox

Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:13 pm

Just to confirm: your dyl is charcoal roasted?
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:52 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:13 pm
Just to confirm: your dyl is charcoal roasted?
It is not.
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:48 pm

New list of teas June 5, 2021
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat May 29, 2021 10:14 am

Order via PM here or by email, merrill23k@yahoo.com. Full list in post June 5, 2021 below.
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:06 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:56 pm

I sell high-mountain tea that is vacuum-packed for me in thick foil in retail sizes & sent to me via Express Air. I only sell via TeaForum, mailing from Boston, MA for flat rates only to USA ($8) & Canada ($15). To order or ask a ?, email merrill23k@yahoo.com or PM me here. If you want to speak on the phone, give me your #. I'll call you (not text).

Spring 2021: From Taiwan: lightly oxidized oolong, (a.k.a. gaoshan or green oolong) 50 grams:

1. FOUSHOUSHAN: The best gaoshan of this season begins w/ wonderful aroma as soon as hot water touches the leaves; continues w/ smooth, delicious, deep flavors; & finishes w/ great taste coating one's cheeks & palate. Remarkably durable. $55 ($1.10 per gram)

2. LISHAN: This is a tasty, smooth, well-balanced tea that is delicious with a forthright vegetal flavor that is not harsh. Steeped < 15 seconds, light sweetness & mint are easy to identify; longer steeping works too. Better than other LIshan I have drunk by far. $32 (64 cents per gram)

3. SHANLINXI: This is very good & from higher up the mountain than tea of the same name sold by me in past years. An array of balanced flavors are smoothly present together for all infusions. $25 (50 cents per gram)

4. PERFECT: I am so happy to drink & sell this tea again. It is from lower down Shanlinxi than #3 & #5, which may help it to be slightly sweet like the best Boazhong. This is so flavorful & such great value for money. $19 (38 cents per gram)

From Taiwan: Spring 2021: Medium-roasted/medium oxidized: 60 grams:

5. 20%: This Alishan tea was roasted but not enough to bury the unique flavor of oolong that was oxidized more than green oolong but not enough to get close to being black tea. The flavor of this (as opposed to flavors) is distinct & fairly unique. It reminds me of medium quality dong ding. I like to drink a tiny bit of it hot then use the rest to mix w/ a lot of water which I drink at room temperature in Winter & cold in summer. 60 grams for only $30 (50 cents per gram)

From Taiwan: Traditionally-roasted, organic Lishan oolong:

In small bamboo baskets tea leaves were roasted above hot charcoal for 3 days. Baskets were shaken & rotated every 20 - 30 minutes resulting in an even, thorough roast.

6. FATHER'S LOVE: > 9 years ago the best organic leaves of an exceptionally good season for Lishan were not used for lightly oxidized tea (which could have been sold for high prices). The leaves were diligently roasted & aged. After 5 years the tea was ready to be enjoyed. About once a year some urns holding this most superior tea were emptied. Now no more remains in urns or elsewhere. I have only 3 packs to sell. This aged tea is smooth, flavorful, durable, & delicious whether prepared Western style or gongfu style. 60 grams for $60 ($1 per gram)

BLACK TEA (also known as Red Tea): From Taiwan: From late September 2021.

7. CHAMPIONSHIP BLACK: This pesticide-free tea comes from a family that grows & processes the best Lishan. The patriarch of this family won Taiwan's prestigious competition for black tea so many years consecutively that he was asked to stop entering the contest & become one of its judges. Now his oldest son is in charge of production. The processing of the fully-oxidized leaves included getting a quick heating a few times over a week or so. (A method that dries the leaves to be good for years without diminishing the tea's flavors.)

Steeping these leaves in water off the boil for < 30 seconds produces a dynamic array of flavors that even pleases people who do not usually drink black tea. Many people prepare this gongfu style. This tea is great for varying parameters. $60 for 80 grams (75 cents per gram); $105 for 150 grams (70 cents per gram)

Shipping to anywhere in the USA for flat fee of $8; Canada $15. PM here or email merrill23k@yahoo.com for questions or orders.
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:01 am, edited 37 times in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:51 pm

Tea is ready to be purchased. Shipping now. List is post above this one.
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:17 pm

20%: Medium Roasted Oolong: In list of teas for sale 2 posts above.

This tea is oxidized more than lightly oxidized oolong to supply the taste of oolong that is not green but not close to being a black tea. I can taste underlying flavor(s) that might be buried by heavier roasting. The underlying flavors are most prevalent in the first infusion especially when I don't steep the leaves long. I love the first & second infusions; a third is okay. Long steeping makes a brew that tastes as if the leaves had been more heavily roasted. Best prep: stacking 4 infusions that were steeped for 20 seconds.

This tea is unique. Its medium levels of oxidation & roasting work uncommonly well together to provide an uncommonly, tasty drink.
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:53 am

List of teas available for purchase are several posts above, dated June 5, 2021.

FOUSHOUSHAN vs. PERFECT (Lightly oxidized oolong, expensive vs. inexpensive):

In 2 weeks I finished a 50-gram pack of FSS. For several days I had enjoyed drinking 4 infusions of around 140 ml at least once a day (prepared in various teapots). Then I steeped around 75 ml of water in a porcelain bowl for 4 infusions twice a day until I had used all of the 50 grams.

The FSS is dynamic, tasty, & full of flavors that are strong but not harsh. I drank about 560 ml very quickly once (4 x 140) to get tea drunk which was fun & most pleasant. Wonderful aftertaste follows the initial pleasure. All that I look for in this category of tea is provided by FSS, my favorite lightly oxidized oolong this season & one of my favorite teas overall.

PERFECT is tasty & satisfies a thirst for lightly oxidized oolong. My 1st session of the pack was drunk only 3 hours after a session of FSS. Then the flavors of PERFECT seemed fine while its sweetness, though expected, felt strange. The 2nd session which began my next day was satisfying. I liked & continue to like the sweetness (which is not overwhelming other flavors) & also the impression of lightness (very close to good Boazhong). There is pleasant aftertaste. Note: leaves are very good for 3 infusions.

COMPARISON: Quality: FSS is the greater tea. It is special & superior; yet, drinking PERFECT is enough pleasure to prevent one from terribly missing better tea. Also the sweetness & lightness of PERFECT is something I want (& some others want, I expect). PERFECT is easy to enjoy for 2 or 3 weeks it takes to use 50 grams once a packet is opened even it one uses "better" teas for 2 - 3 weeks. 50 grams of FSS costs almost 3 X the cost of PERFECT. (I get 1 more infusion from the FSS; so cost of FSS per ml drunk is only 2.5 X the cost of Perfect.)

CONCLUSION: If price matters, PERFECT is a must-buy. It pleases & satisfies most affordably. It should also be tried by those who don't worry about prices because of its characteristics of gaoshan mixed with characteristics of baozhong grown at lower heights. FSS is special & worth the price. If price is not a serious concern, FSS is a must-buy.
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:03 pm

From Thailand ROYAL RED, a well oxidized, organic oolong. (Added to list of teas, post June 5)

I drink tea several times daily. For all sessions I have no use for bad tea; however, I don't want every session to be a sensational event. This dark, delicious oolong, steeped fairly quickly, provides flavor that is not as complex as most that I drink. (Some tartness, touch of spices, yes...).

It is difficult to find medium or well oxidized oolongs that are not roasted, especially good ones. They provide unique flavor that do not fit into categories easily. They offer some sweetness & body that are different than less-oxidized oolong or black tea that is fully oxidized. My oldest sister says this dark oolong is the exceptionally good tea that we wish was what accompanied our meals in Chinese restaurants for free. I agree with her; but this tea is so much better than "freely served" tea.

Whatever! This is a tea I enjoy daily, guests always like it, & if it was my only tea in the cupboard for a few months, I would be okay.

This tea keeps for years. I bought more than 8 kilograms of this tea years ago which led me into selling some of it & selling other teas eventually. (I had to buy wholesale to obtain any). It took years to drink the kilograms that I had not sold; the tea never got stale. I had none for years because my source usually will not sell less than 10 kilograms.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:48 am

List of teas above in updated list of post of June 5, 2021.

$8 shipping for USA; $15 for Canada. To order PM me, post here, or email, merrill23k@yahoo.com
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.