Vendor news and self-promotion
Victoria
Admin

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:58 am

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:18 pm
Shine Magical wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:00 pm
Are the lightly oxidized oolongs you're selling from the recent winter harvest and do you have plans to stock 2019 spring harvest?
Teas that I have now are from the recent winter harvest. I will get some teas from the 2019 Spring harvest. I may not get both dayuling and foushoushan depending on how both taste and prices.
In case anyone would want to know, I am not selling the tea I have from Nepal & won't be. I will use the last of it myself and will only deal with tea from Taiwan.
Glad I still have your HOR. I see your web site is gone? Can you update your list here to include dates and remove teas you are no longer selling?
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:23 pm

From Taiwan, 2019 Winter teas (available to purchase since January/February 2019):

Lightly oxidized:

PERFECT: From Shanlanxi, smooth, slightly sweet & floral, freshly vegetal w/o any bitterness. 60 grams $18;

FOUSHOUSHAN: Smooth, dynamic flavors, w/o bitterness, versatile, & durable (so many infusions). Very soft water = lovely light-bodied sweetness; very hard water = great vegetal brew. 60 grams $57;

DAYULING: Many of the same top characteristics and top quality as FSS (above) but more complex. 40 grams $38.

Medium oxidized:
From Lishan, medium roasted: Smooth w// quality & flavors of leaves not being overly dominated by the roasting. Fun to vary steeping times. 75 grams $30.

ORIENTAL BEAUTY (THNG FANG MEI JEA): A most interesting & complex OB. Really compelling as light fruitiness & spiciness seem familiar yet uniquely refined. Fun to vary parameters. 32 grams $21, 50 grams $30.

Black (fully oxidized):

SINENSIS: Satisfies desire for full-bodied excellent black tea w/ more complexity than one would expect (underlying tastes of fruit). Fun to vary parameters and water used for steeping. 75 grams $30.

CHAMPIONSHIP BLACK: Quite similar to Sinensis above but even smoother with stronger presentation of flavors. 75 grams $45.

Notes about preparation: All of the teas above are good for multiple infusions using a modest amount of leaves. Standard 1 gram of tea per 50 ml of water is suggested for novices but less leaves will give lots of flavor and more will not ruin anything. I have found all of these teas to show different sides of themselves to a great extent (except for Perfect which does not vary so much) when using various steeping times and types of water. All are good for 2 or 3 excellent infusions even with few leaves and quick steeping; the FSS & DYL are good for 8 or 9 infusions.

No longer use website. To order, PM me. $7 postage USA, $15 for Europe. Cheers
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu May 30, 2019 2:56 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:23 pm
From Nepal, Spring 2019 organic white tea: Wonderful aroma, light body, and freshness. So drinkable in quantity and able to make feel fresh. Good for 5 infusions. Flexible for preparation; yet, I recommend starting with water at about 80C for 2 minute infusion. 100 grams $30.

From Taiwan:

2019 Winter teas:

Lightly oxidized:
PERFECT: From Shanlanxi, smooth, slightly sweet & floral, freshly vegetal w/o any bitterness. 60 grams $18;

FOUSHOUSHAN: Smooth, dynamic flavors, w/o bitterness, versatile, & durable (so many infusions). Very soft water = lovely light-bodied sweetness; very hard water = great vegetal brew. 60 grams $57;

DAYULING: Many of the same top characteristics and top quality as FSS (above) but more complex. 40 grams $38.

Medium oxidized:
From Lishan, medium roasted: Smooth w// quality & flavors of leaves not being overly dominated by the roasting. Fun to vary steeping times. 75 grams $30.

Late summer 2018:
ORIENTAL BEAUTY (THNG FANG MEI JEA): A most interesting & complex OB. Really compelling as light fruitiness & spiciness seem familiar yet uniquely refined. Fun to vary parameters. 32 grams $21, 50 grams $30.

Black (fully oxidized):
SINENSIS: Satisfies desire for full-bodied excellent black tea w/ more complexity than one would expect (underlying tastes of fruit). Fun to vary parameters and water used for steeping. 75 grams $30.

CHAMPIONSHIP BLACK: Quite similar to Sinensis above but even smoother with stronger presentation of flavors. 75 grams $45.

Notes about preparation: All of the teas above are good for multiple infusions using a modest amount of leaves. Standard 1 gram of tea per 50 ml of water (slightly less than 1 ounce) is suggested for novices. For most people, the FSS & DYL are good for 8 or 9 infusions, the white tea for 5, & the others for 2 or 3 when using a modest amount of tea leaves. Much more leaf may provide many more infusions for some people's pleasure.

No longer use website. To order, PM me or merrill23k@yahoo.com. $7 postage USA, $15 for Europe. Cheers
pedant
Admin

Thu May 30, 2019 6:17 pm

sending email now for some DYL. thanks, Ethan
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:34 pm

Added today: Spring 2019 from Taiwan:
Lightly oxidized: PERFECT: From Shanlanxi, smooth, slightly sweet & floral, freshly vegetal w/o any bitterness. 50 grams $16;

DAYULING: Much like Perfect above but more interesting, complex, & durable. 40 grams $39.

From Nepal, Spring 2019 organic white tea: Wonderful aroma, light body, and freshness. So drinkable in quantity and able to make feel fresh. Good for 5 infusions. Flexible for preparation; yet, I recommend starting with water at about 80C. 100 grams $30.

From Taiwan:

2019 Winter teas:

Lightly oxidized:

FOUSHOUSHAN: Smooth, dynamic flavors w/o bitterness; versatile, & durable (so many infusions). Varying parameters & water used can yield lovely light-bodied sweetness, a great vegetal brew, or combination of those characteristics. 60 grams $57;

Medium oxidized:
From Lishan, medium roasted: Smooth w/ quality & flavors of leaves not being overly dominated by the roasting. Fun to vary steeping times. 75 grams $30.

Late summer 2018:
ORIENTAL BEAUTY (THNG FANG MEI JEA): A most interesting & complex OB. Really compelling as light fruitiness & touch of spice seem familiar yet uniquely refined. Fun to vary parameters. 32 grams $21, 50 grams $30.

Black (fully oxidized):

CHAMPIONSHIP BLACK: Quite similar to Sinensis above but even smoother with stronger presentation of flavors. Some people like to use gongfucha preparation. 75 grams $45.

Notes about preparation: All of the teas above are good for multiple infusions using a modest amount of leaves. Standard 1 gram of tea per 50 ml of water (slightly less than 1 ounce) is suggested for novices. For most people, the FSS & DYL are good for 8 or 9 infusions, the white tea for 5, & the others for 2 or 3 when using a modest amount of tea leaves. Much more leaf may provide many more infusions for some people's pleasure.

No longer use website. To order, PM me or merrill23k@yahoo.com. $7 postage USA, $15 for Europe. Cheers
[/quote]
[/quote]
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:01 am

Update: Spring 2019 teas:
From Taiwan:
Gaoshan (lightly oxidized oolong):

PERFECT: From Shanlanxi (about 1600-1800m), smooth, slightly sweet & floral, freshly vegetal w/o any bitterness. 50 grams $16;

DAYULING: Much like Perfect but more interesting, complex, & durable. 40 grams $39.

From Nepal: Spring 2019 organic white tea (silver needle buds): Wonderful aroma, light body, and freshness. So drinkable in quantity and able to make one feel fresh. Complex Darjeeling flavors & also green tea flavors. Good for 5 infusions. I recommend starting with water at about 80C. 100 grams $30.

From Taiwan:

2019 Winter teas:

Lightly oxidized:
PERFECT: From Shanlanxi (1600-1800m), smooth, slightly sweet & floral, freshly vegetal w/o any bitterness. 60 grams $18;

FOUSHOUSHAN: Smooth, dynamic flavors w/o bitterness; versatile, & durable (so many infusions). Varying parameters & water used can yield lovely light-bodied sweetness, a great vegetal brew, or combination of those characteristics. 60 grams $57;

Medium oxidized:
From Lishan (2200m), medium roasted: Smooth w/ quality & flavors of leaves not being overly dominated by the roasting. 75 grams $30.

Late summer 2018:
ORIENTAL BEAUTY (THNG FANG MEI JEA) pesticide-free: A most interesting & complex OB. Really compelling as light fruitiness & touch of spice seem familiar yet uniquely refined. 32 grams $21, 50 grams $30.

Black (fully oxidized):
From Lishan (2200m, pesticide-free) SINENSIS: Satisfies desire for full-bodied excellent black tea w/ more complexity than one would expect (underlying tastes of fruit). 75 grams $30.

Notes about preparation: All of these teas are good for multiple infusions using a modest amount of leaves. Standard 1 gram of tea per 50 ml of water (slightly less than 1 ounce) is suggested for novices. For most people, the FSS & DYL are good for 8 or 9 infusions, the white tea for 5, & the others for 2 or 3 when using a modest amount of tea leaves. Much more leaf may provide many more infusions for some people's pleasure. Quick steeping highlights allows one to taste fruit & spices more; prolonged steeping highlights deeper flavor. Suggested temperature for water around 96C (just off boil) except for the white tea (80C).

No longer use website. To order, contact me via PM here or at merrill23k@yahoo.com. $7 postage for addresses in USA, $15 for Europe.
Victoria
Admin

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:22 pm

No more Championship Black? That was excellent 🍃.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:51 am

Victoria wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:22 pm
No more Championship Black? That was excellent 🍃.
Funny to sit in easy chair & open computer to read this while a cup of Championship Black is cooling by my side (prepared from my last pack). This tea & the Dayuling get more praise than any other teas that I sell, but people re-order DYL much more often than this black. (Perhaps because of sizing, 40 grams vs. 75 grams.)

The black that I call Sinensis is similar. Prepared gongfu style or even just steeped quickly, the CB has notes of fruit that are only faintly tasted when drinking the Sinensis. When I first open a pack of the CB after not having any for a few weeks, I love the greater fruitiness. Later I hardly notice it. When drinking the cheaper Sinensis, I am happy 7 don't miss the CB.

So, I have not quickly obtained more CB. I have hoped a couple of people who like the CB would try the Sinensis. I would like to know whether the cheaper black is good enough for them (as it is for me). In person I have convinced some people who are getting Foushoushan or DYL from me to also get Perfect. They have been grateful to have a more "everyday" gaoshan of such high quality that is so inexpensive.

As I write I think I have been a bit stupid. The difference in price between these two blacks is small while Perfect is much cheaper than the FSS & DYL. Furthermore, the FSS & DYL call for using the leaves for at least 8 rounds which people don't always want to do.

I'll get more CB, 60-gram vacuum-sealed packs this time. I'll order after deciding about one more tea to stock. I like a few which seem to offer only one flavor & seem expensive for such simple teas. I also think about top quality aged Lishan again. (Perhaps more of us, definitely including me, are developing our palates to appreciate this more; & a small amount of this tea which keeps for years, should be in our cupboards.)
Cheers
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:23 pm

UPDATE:
From Taiwan, Spring 2019 Gaoshan (high-mountain, lightly oxidized green oolong):

PERFECT: From Shanlanxi (about 1600-1800m), smooth, slightly sweet & floral, freshly vegetal w/o any bitterness. 50 grams (1.7 oz.) $16;

DAYULING (DYL): (>2000m) much like Perfect but more interesting, complex, & durable (so many infusions). 40 grams (1.3 oz.) $39.

From Nepal: Organic Spring 2019 white tea (silver needle tips, buds): Wonderful aroma, light body, and freshness. So unique & drinkable in quantity & able to make one feel fresh. Complex Darjeeling flavors & also green tea flavors. Good for 5 infusions. I recommend starting with water at about 80C. 100 grams (1.3 oz.) $30.

From Taiwan 2019 Winter teas:

Gaoshan (high-mountain, lightly oxidized green oolong):
FOUSHOUSHAN (FSS): Smooth, dynamic flavors w/o bitterness; versatile, & durable (so many infusions). Varying parameters can yield lovely light-bodied sweetness, a great vegetal brew, or combination of those characteristics. 60 grams (2 oz.)$57. (Note: only 1 packet left of this very special tea)

Medium oxidized:
From Lishan (>2000m), medium roasted: Smooth w/ quality & flavors of leaves not being overly dominated by the roasting. Quick steeping shows light fruit flavors; long steeping highlights deeper taste. 75 grams (2.7 oz.) $30. (Note: only 1 packet left of this excellent tea)

Late summer 2018 pesticide-free:

ORIENTAL BEAUTY (THNG FANG MEI JEA): A most interesting & complex OB. Really compelling as light fruitiness & touch of spice seem familiar yet uniquely refined. (Most people who don't usually don't drink tea like this) 40 grams (1.3 oz.) $20;

Black (fully oxidized):
From Lishan (>2000m) SINENSIS: Satisfies desire for full-bodied excellent black tea w/ more complexity & flavor than usual (underlying tastes of fruit). 75 grams (2.7 oz.) $30.

Notes: These teas are good for multiple infusions using a modest amount of leaves, (I suggest trying w/ 1 gram of tea per 50 ml of water (slightly less than 2 oz). FSS & DYL are good for 8 or 9 infusions, the white tea for 5, & the others for 2 or 3 when using a modest amount of tea leaves. Much more leaf may provide many more infusions for some people's pleasure. Quick steeping highlights allows one to taste fruit & spices more; prolonged steeping highlights deeper flavor. Suggested temperature for water around 96C (just off boil) except for the white tea (80C).

No longer use website. To order, contact me via PM here or at merrill23k@yahoo.com. $7 postage for addresses in USA, $15 for Europe. We can talk on the phone if you like.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:57 am

Can call 617 580 8787 or PM to order or ask ?s.
Update:

From TAIWAN: Aged:
FATHER'S LOVE: Organic, well oxidized, highest quality oolong from the heights of Mt. Li traditionally roasted for 2 - 3 days then aged 5 years. The smoothest, pure, delicious uncharred, heavy-roast flavor that is easy to appreciate slowly & gratefully: nothing is better for very long sessions. A modest amount of leaves are good for several infusions. 40 grams (1.3 oz.) $42.

SUMMER 2019: From TAIWAN: Black tea:
CHAMPIONSHIP BLACK: This competition-winning organic, Lishan tea is full of deep flavors. Varying steeping times can emphasize traditional black flavors or lighter fruitiness. A rich, satisfying complex drink that everyone likes & aficionados love. Some people brew this gongfu style. 50 grams (1.7 oz.) $32;
RUBY JADE #18: The tasty, unique cultivar developed from Assamica & Sinensis. 50 grams (1.7 oz.) $25;
RUBY JADE #21: Developed as #18 was, from Assamica & Sinensis, but 21 is different from 18 (e.g., not as sweet). For me quality is = to 18. grams (1.7 oz.) $20.

SPRING 2019:

From TAIWAN: Gaoshan (high-mountain, lightly oxidized green oolong):
PERFECT: From ShanlInxi (about 1600-1800m), slightly sweet & floral, freshly vegetal w/ touch of minerals & no bitterness. 50 grams (1.7 oz.) $16;
DAYULING (DYL): (>2000m) much like Perfect but more interesting, complex, & durable (so many infusions). 40 grams (1.3 oz.) $39.

From NEPAL: Organic white tea (silver needle tips, buds): Wonderful aroma, fresh unique flavor & light body that makes it easy to drink in quantity & as a cold drink. Good for 6 infusions. I recommend starting with water at about 80C. 100 grams (3.3 oz.) $30; 50 grams (1.65 oz) $16.

WINTER 2019: From TAIWAN:

Gaoshan (high-mountain, lightly oxidized green oolong):
FOUSHOUSHAN (FSS): Smooth, dynamic flavors w/o bitterness; versatile, & durable (so many infusions). Varying parameters can yield lovely sweetness, a great vegetal brew, or combination of those characteristics. 60 grams (2.1 oz.)$57. (Note: only 1 packet left of this very special tea);
DAYULING (DYL): (>2000m) like the FSS w/ a slightly lighter mouthfeel. 40 grams (1.3 oz.) $38.

LATE SUMMER 2018; From Taiwan: pesticide-free:

ORIENTAL BEAUTY (THNG FANG MEI JEA): A most interesting & complex OB. Really compelling as light tartness, taste of sweet dried fruit, & touch of spice are present in a familiar way; yet brew is uniquely refined. (Excellent for serving to people who don't drink tea.) 40 grams (1.3 oz.) $20;

Notes: These teas are good for multiple infusions using a modest amount of leaves, (I suggest trying w/ 1 gram of tea per 50 ml of water (slightly less than 2 oz). Father's Love, FSS, DYL, & the white tea are good for at least several infusions, & the other for teas for 3 rounds when using a modest amount of tea leaves. Much more leaf may provide many more infusions for some people's pleasure.

$7 postage for addresses in USA, $15 for Europe.
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:35 pm

New teas available now: From TAIWAN;
FATHER'S LOVE: Organic, traditionally roasted oolong from top of Mount Li aged 5 years.
CHAMPIONSHIP BLACK: Competition-winning, organic black tea.
RUBY JADE #18: That unique cultivar....
RUBY JADE #21: Almost exactly #18 but costs less

More information & prices on list above, cheers
Victoria
Admin

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:38 pm

Oh, good to hear you have Championship Black again. Is it pretty much like last year’s? Also, Fathers Love, is that a roasted LiShan? Cheers.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:10 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
FATHER'S LOVE: Organic, traditionally roasted oolong from top of Mount Li
Mount Li = Li Shan(mountain in chinese) = Pear mountain

That is a very nice tea by the way, age it for 10+ years and it is even nicer.
Victoria
Admin

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:17 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:10 pm
Ethan Kurland wrote:
FATHER'S LOVE: Organic, traditionally roasted oolong from top of Mount Li
Mount Li = Li Shan(mountain in chinese) = Pear mountain

That is a very nice tea by the way, age it for 10+ years and it is even nicer.
Yeah, I got that LiShan part @Bok ... lol. I’m assuming not all teas produced on Mount Li are LiShan or called that? Or is it so small an area that only one cultivar and only one tea is produced?
Bok
Vendor

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:30 pm

Victoria wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:17 pm
Yeah, I got that LiShan part Bok ... lol. I’m assuming not all teas produced on Mount Li are LiShan or called that? Or is it so small an area that only one cultivar and only one tea is produced?
In fact very likely yes, they are all called Lishan. Even if they are only in the close proximity and technically not on there. Better price if it is called Lishan. Not many in Taiwan proper care about some small mountains name, they want the big three: Lishan, Alishan, Shanlinxi. Anything else matters little to most. Kind of frustrating for us nosy foreigners who want to know all the exact details :mrgreen: