Chen YuanHao

Vendor news and self-promotion
cyhteashop
Vendor

Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:04 pm

Hello,
briefly:

* Prices are displayed in USD, EUR, GBP, CAD, AUD depending on geolocation. Thanks for the note about it not being clear that's "CAD" and "AUD", we'll look into it

* The prices you see on the website are the same (or lower) as the current Taiwan prices (except instead of TWD they're converted to a rounded USD number, so they may be in the range of +/- 5%). In a few cases they're a bit lower than the list price.

* You get the "official CYH website vibe" because it is. Paolo and Una (of puerh.uk fame) care about IT and customer service, the Chen family makes the tea, sets the list pricing and fulfils orders.

We feel these teas, while not by any means cheap, are really extraordinary and we hope some western puerh lovers can take advantage of this resource.

Cheers!
Last edited by cyhteashop on Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
pedant
Admin

Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:12 pm

thanks for clarifying! cheers
Bok
Vendor

Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:03 am

Still does not explain why Western prices would be lower for some teas than for the Taiwanese market... that does not make any sense.
Balthazar

Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:20 pm

Bok wrote:
Still does not explain why Western prices would be lower for some teas than for the Taiwanese market... that does not make any sense.
I think "list price" is the key word here. As noted by Tyler, those are set by the company and often at way above what people are actually paying for them on "the market" (buying from other sources than CYH directly), undoubtedly to inflate the perceived value of the teas. I don't think any half-informed person in Taiwan are paying those prices. As an anecdotic example, one Taiwanese seller (that I know has supplied certain Western facing vendors with at least part of the CYH teas they have offered) would sell me the 2005 Shanzhong Chuanqi for TWD 12000 a cake. (This was in March this year.) That's about 30% lower than the current "discounted" price on chenyuanhao.shop. And it's per cake, without any quantity discounts.

This is not intended to suggest that the prices on chenyuanhao.shop are high, especially relative to other Western facing vendors, just to suggest that "list price" (perhaps especially from the Taiwanese botique brands) shouldn't be emphasized too much.

Seems like Paolo and Una have struck a similar deal with CYH as Shinzo has with XZH and Emmett with YQH.
.m.

Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:43 pm

Completely agree with @Balthazar. XZH is a good example where the list prices are from another world and are certainly meant to drive the market value without reflecting it. Personally, I too think that these CYH prices are somewhat reasonable; although much more than I could afford, yet not completely far off of my perceived value of the tea (i'm talking about the pre 2014 cakes).
phyllsheng

Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:38 pm

Bok wrote:
This.
🎯
aet
Vendor

Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:11 pm

phyllsheng wrote:
Bok wrote:
This.
🎯
might not be a same case, but we had a same issue with some tea producers here as well.
They give you a wholesale price ( as for re-seller of their product ) and then retail price is much much higher, so you are interested. ( they also using this upselling to their offlie customers "look , we sell it on TB for this much so I'm giving you a discount now!" ...more about tea marketing in our blog )
Then you find out, that for their recommended retail price is just not sellable to vesterners , so you go more humble with margins.
Happened to us with Yunnan oolong.
I've followed the reatial prices they had on tao bao and sold almost nothing. Then I discounted and discounted and at the end sold few boxes for actuall cost price ( no profit ) .
Of course there is a factor that Yunnan oolong is not famous but I believe the high price ( despite of the beautiful packaging ) was just not appealing for westerners.
Another factor is, that we bought that tea so we were under pressure to sell it ( because it is oolong , not a puerh ) and not just remote sourcing ( drop-shipping ) ...I don't know what is the concept of this vendor but with puerh should be no pressure like that even if thay have it in their stock.

Of course this raises the questions about authenticity , same as the case we have with one puerh which sells for more than double price on TB than we do , and that's because I don't feel this particular cake worth more , yet I'm already happy with margin I have . But that's the massive production , cheap cake, not some rare gushu, so probably not the same case with this vendor / producer.
With Dayi we had sort of simmilar problem when they kept raising the prices based on their concept and not the actual value judged by improved taste or demand. I forgot one year to update the prices and already got in talks that we sell fake Dayi coz cheaper than other vendors around. I got tired of this specualtion business, it's not for me , I'm not a gambler neither BTC investor, so we quit Dayi ( not buying new stuff anymore ) .

Please not , I'm not a friend of this company neither their UK partner, I'm just sharing my personal experience to explain possibilities of price differences between CN and western market.
phyllsheng

Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:48 pm

aet wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:11 pm
phyllsheng wrote:
Bok wrote:
This.
🎯
might not be a same case,
Right. They’re not the same cases as with CYH.
Baiyun

Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:55 pm

Thank you for the insight @aet

Reminded me of this statement going along with some modern pots for $2.3k+
"At his request, we have a minimum price we can sell these at, though his pots generally sell for much more in the Chinese market. Since we realise these aren't inexpensive, as an introductory offer, we've decided to offer $300 free tea with each of his pots sold."

Maker sets price, miraculously lower for the West than in China, but the vendor knows the price is steep for the audience and thus gives up the margin on $300 worth of tea retail. Must be the same high margin arrangement.
sandy000ting
New user

Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:01 am

:lol: i literally just sign up to convey things...for the best teas message the real owner directly or his wife .. youll get more lower prices, or you can get the malaysian distributor or even in china. besides teapals..as long as prices seem too high, it really isnt, unless its aged or of pioneering stages..when i tell it to the owner he might cry.. :lol: ;)
pedant
Admin

Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:59 am

welcome to the forum. this is a vendor's thread though.

if you have tea purchasing advice, maybe sharing in another thread would be more helpful/respectful?
aet
Vendor

Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:18 pm

yes, the other factor could be that online shop in TW is run by some 3rd party ( company or friend ) who get's an additional margin on products as payment for providing the service ( the online platform ) . If you deal with vendor personally , the prices might be different. If it is a big company with agents , then "franchise" concept also migh be applicable. For example Dayi has like 3 levels ( prices ) depending how much per year you take from them, yet they have the rules set like you are not allowed to sell below the recomended retail price because that would harm other resellers who are in lower level ( buying for higher price coz take less per year ) for example. Zhong Cha or Xia Guan have simmilar set up.
That's why the tea from big producers might have a very big gap between costs and retail ( that's one of the reasons. other is investment concept and marketing stuff )
cyhteashop
Vendor

Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:35 am

Hello! Just a note that on 1st September we will update prices on the website to match the 2022/2023 price list.

Of course, the prices on the website are the same as what you'd find in our shop in Tainan.
Victoria
Admin

Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:01 pm

cyhteashop wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:35 am
Hello! Just a note that on 1st September we will update prices on the website to match the 2022/2023 price list.

Of course, the prices on the website are the same as what you'd find in our shop in Tainan.
Thank you for updating us on your pricing.
cyhteashop
Vendor

Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:41 am

Hello,
we've released a "Gushu tasting flight", from $100 including shipping, a chance to try 100% pure gushu ("ancient tree tea").

https://chenyuanhao.shop/product/gushu-tasting-flight/