Educational Sample Packs on Puerh Tea

Vendor news and self-promotion
VaratPh
Vendor

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:13 am

Hello to everyone here.

I am a tea lover first and foremost. I love drinking tea, especially age puerh tea. I have been drinking and trading puerh tea for almost 20 years. I started collecting puerh tea in 2000 and have seen the market rise and fall in 2007. I have seen both the good and dark side of the industry. I understand the challenges in trying to understand the complexities of puerh tea especially in light of the conflicting information that is out there. I had once struggled through it all myself. I learned from it, evolved and continue to seek knowledge to improve myself for the journey of age tea never ends. I invite you to browse the contents of my blog and you will understand my passion and genuine affection for puerh tea through the various entries I have written.

http://theguidetopuerhtea.blogspot.com

I am here to offer those who are interested and passionate about puerh tea an opportunity to experience and learn the basics for this category of tea. The most captivating and magical aspect of puerh tea is in its aging ability. Having an opportunity to experience the age journey of tea is the key to understanding age puerh tea. I offer this through sample packs under different themes to highlight the different aspects of age puerh tea.
d.manuk

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:46 pm

How can I learn more about Frankincense and where did you even buy it, I can’t find the pure product on google.

Interesting blog, I like the post about tea auctions too! Will add it to my tea blog favorites list. :D
VaratPh
Vendor

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:27 pm

There is a BBC documentary called The Frankincense Trail worth watching. I was lucky enough to have a friend bring me some from the middle east when he came for a holiday. There are many grades but the best is the green frankincense from Oman.
Psyck

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:18 am

Shine Magical wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:46 pm
How can I learn more about Frankincense and where did you even buy it, I can’t find the pure product on google.

Interesting blog, I like the post about tea auctions too! Will add it to my tea blog favorites list. :D
There are probably several shops in India that offer Frankincense. Unless you are particular about wanting some fancy grade, you can try this shop. I have purchased various resins from them for fumigation/incense. Most of them only cost like 2 dollars for 250g for purchase within India. They also ship internationally if you email them.

http://www.mangalorespice.com/categorie ... 17230.aspx
OldWaysTea
Vendor

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:53 am

I have no idea how honest they are, but a little googleing revealed this interesting shop: http://www.scents-of-earth.com/frankincense.html. I spent some time reading their website, despite not having interest in making a purchase.
VaratPh
Vendor

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:02 pm

What a coincidence to see all this interest in Frankincense at this time as I am in the process of grinding through the production of a batch of Frankincense Nerikoh incense. I had recently tested out batches of aging incense paste from 2017. I love the aging process and the magical transformation that time brings. I have experienced it with tea and I also enjoy the contrast between different batches of incense paste from last year.
smIncense Paste.jpg
smIncense Paste.jpg (185.73 KiB) Viewed 10773 times
The photo shows the contrast between the youngest and oldest. The darker paste is a batch from Jan 2017 whilst the lighter one is from later in the year in Oct. These were made from a blend of woods and resin, mixed with wild dark honey and pummeled in a paste and left to cure in storage. The older paste is noticeably darker and deeper in aroma with a spicy wood and a slight cacao note. The scent is aged and harmonious. The younger paste is more raw and sharp with a woodier tone. The younger paste has a scent that feels somewhat fragmented as the components have yet to really meld together, and lack the softness to the overall profile. The older paste is ready and that means I have some work ahead of me now in the coming weeks as I aim to finish off a batch of Frankincense Nerikoh balls.
VaratPh
Vendor

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:02 pm

Getting back to the theme of tea :)

Educational Series – 20 Year Old Puerh / A History of Different Storage Conditions

If you ever wondered how the differences in storage conditions affect puerh tea then don’t miss out on this opportunity. This is a wonderful opportunity to taste and compare 4 puerh teas at approx. 20 years old that have been stored and nurtured under different conditions ranging from natural (dry) to traditional (wet) storage. Despite the teas being roughly the same age each tea has progressed at a different pace towards maturity. These differences are notable but are clearly aligned to the same theme. By brewing and comparing these samples you will greatly advance your perception and understanding of puerh storage.
20yo Samples 1.jpg
20yo Samples 1.jpg (137.81 KiB) Viewed 10694 times
20 Year Old Puerh Tea Sample Pack (4 × 20g)

1) DRY STORED 1997 Loose Leaf (Dry Storage)
2) LIGHT WET 1990s Private Production (Light Wet Stored)
3) MILD WET 1990s Menghai Green Label
4) MEDIUM WET 1990s Menghai Orange Label (HK Private Commission)

For more please click the link below
http://theguidetopuerhtea.blogspot.com/ ... puerh.html
Contact me at varatphong@yahoo.com
VaratPh
Vendor

Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:01 am

Educational Series – Comparative Tasting of New & Old Ripe Puerh Tea

Ripe Puerh Tea Comparison 1.jpg
Ripe Puerh Tea Comparison 1.jpg (355.57 KiB) Viewed 9915 times
If you ever wondered about the differences between a new and old ripe puerh tea then don’t miss out on this opportunity. This Sample Pack provides you with the opportunity to compare the differences in the clarity, aroma/taste, texture and age characteristics between a new and old ripe puerh tea. The experience provides an invaluable insight into the ageing of ripe puerh and the refinement to the quality of the tea that comes with increasing maturity.
-
Ripe Puerh Tea Comparison 2.jpg
Ripe Puerh Tea Comparison 2.jpg (145.14 KiB) Viewed 9915 times
Ripe Puerh Tea Sample Pack (2 × 50g)
US$65 + shipping costs

1) 2010 Golden Needle White Lotus Menghai Tea Factory – 50g
2) 1990s CNNP Private Production Gong Ting – 50g

Full Post http://theguidetopuerhtea.blogspot.com/ ... sting.html
VaratPh
Vendor

Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:01 am

1IG Zen Collection.jpg
1IG Zen Collection.jpg (286.97 KiB) Viewed 8945 times
//
A special treat for the holidays. My best wishes to all for the New Year in 2020.

I have been thinking about offering something special in commemoration of my 20th Anniversary as well as for the end of year holidays. As I selected one old tea after another, this became the ultimate deep dive into the world of age tea. The Zen Collection is a truly unique opportunity to explore the category of age tea like never before. I have included historic teas from each decade starting from the 1950s to 2000s with tea samples representing a wide range of categories.

PROMOTIONAL OFFER
+ 30% Discount
+ further savings
+ giveaways provided

See full details here
http://theguidetopuerhtea.blogspot.com/ ... -sale.html
//
2 Zen Sample Pack.jpg
2 Zen Sample Pack.jpg (305.88 KiB) Viewed 8945 times
3 Zen Sample Pack.jpg
3 Zen Sample Pack.jpg (367.33 KiB) Viewed 8945 times
VaratPh
Vendor

Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:44 am

Tea Beyond the Border – Yiwu Impression

- Early 2000s age teacake -
I take great pleasure in exploring Yiwu tea. Despite the diversity I can always be assured of an intrinsic softness in character that I find to be very comforting. The ease to which the brew flows down my throat is a pleasure I greatly enjoy in Yiwu tea. Considering its origins this humble teacake left me with a good impression. Sipping from my cup I took in the clean flavors, pleasant sweetness, smooth texture and darkening age characteristics. The brown tones were layered with sweet tropical nuances, wild plums, a touch of leather and light earthy minerals. I look upon this tea as an interesting and likeable aged Yiwu. My heart grows fonder for discovering that whilst famous Yiwu productions command high prices it is wonderful to know that some of the Yiwu charms can also be passed down to these more humble productions.

It should be noted that strictly speaking this teacake cannot be officially labeled as being from Yiwu. The Yiwu region has a defined geographical boundary and a puerh tea that is labeled as being from Yiwu must be harvested from within the confines of its official border. However there remains many tea tree and resources that reside outside and beyond the border, some only but a few kilometers away in proximity. These unrecognized resources as a consequence are subjected to less favorable market conditions and it is for this reason that this teacake is priced very modestly. As a result these unassuming tea leaves offer great value for puerh enthusiasts looking for economical teas to fit into their daily drinking routine.

See full details here
http://theguidetopuerhtea.blogspot.com/ ... ssion.html
Attachments
Tea beyond the border 3.jpg
Tea beyond the border 3.jpg (222.49 KiB) Viewed 7938 times
Tea beyond the border L1.jpg
Tea beyond the border L1.jpg (288.81 KiB) Viewed 7938 times
VaratPh
Vendor

Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:44 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLhZRJtUw9E
1980-1990s OLDIE Collection

The OLDIE Collection is my quest to make old puerh tea more affordable and accessible to a wider audience.

This 1st Batch presents a captivating deep dive into the world of old sheng puerh tea. The collection contains teacakes from the 1980s and 1990s, the great majority are from old stock CNNP from the past era. There is real quality to be found here and the assortment of teacakes offers a great way to explore a range of old sheng characteristics. Each tea chunk offers something different adding to the richness of the experience available. The spectrum of dark vintage notes contain a depth of complexity that highlights the charm of old sheng puerh, notes of old cognac, red wood, antique parchment, leather, talcum powder, marzipan, citrus, fruit jam, herbal tones, all resides within the collection. The grounding nature of old tea is especially suited for tea enthusiasts seeking a touch of ZEN.

* The collection is comprised of large chunky pieces that allow the drinker to experience the taste of the origin teacake. There are some stunning treasures waiting to be discovered that includes highly sought after Menghai Tea Factory old batches from the past era as well as exquisite nuggets of 30+ year old puerh tea. This famous factory and very old category of sheng puerh command steep prices that are often well beyond the budget of most tea drinkers. The OLDIE Collection offers the chance to taste these rare teas at a fraction of the market price. This is a special treat for age tea lovers to enjoy over the coming holidays.

see more
//
1980s 90s Oldie Collection1.jpg
1980s 90s Oldie Collection1.jpg (274.97 KiB) Viewed 7192 times
VaratPh
Vendor

Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:30 am

Happy Holidays and my best wishes to all for the upcoming New Year 2021. I could not think of a better way to close out the year than with a tea session and on this fine occasion I am delving into the 1980s-1990s OLDIE Collection. Sharing my experience with photos below.

There is a special thrill in journeying into the unknown and picking up an old tea chunk from the assortment of teas that makeup the 1980s-1990s OLDIE Collection never cease to bring about a tingling sense of anticipation. The tea is well aged, representing a time period when China was economically closed off from most of the outside world. It was quieter times and the pace of life was much slower. The natural growth and production cycle of puerh tea was not stressed and put under pressure by the exponential demands of today’s market. Rinsing the old leaves with boiling water awakens age aromatics that reveal a wonderful richness with subtle layers of complexity. Given time and careful observation there is much to explore and uncover. I detect notes of incense, old cognac, marzipan, talcum powder, mature wood and hints of dried resin. The brew is soft and oily in the mouth. This is an old taste from old times when the puerh tea industry was more simple and unassuming. Puerh operations adhered to standards of practice that was firmly under the control of the Chinese Government. After drinking a few cups the warmth and soothing energy of the old tea brings a welcomed state of comfort and relaxation. My journey has been well rewarded on this fine occasion. Past production of Menghai Tea Factory formed an integral part of old stock CNNP and encountering such a fine piece is always a real pleasure.
1980s 1990s OLDIE Collection 1.jpg
1980s 1990s OLDIE Collection 1.jpg (373.5 KiB) Viewed 6679 times
Selecting a tea chunk for brewing
/
1980s 1990s OLDIE Collection 3.jpg
1980s 1990s OLDIE Collection 3.jpg (245.33 KiB) Viewed 6679 times
Wet tea leaves
/
1980s 1990s OLDIE Collection 4.jpg
1980s 1990s OLDIE Collection 4.jpg (299.49 KiB) Viewed 6679 times
Signature chopped tea leaves of big factory blends - Menghai Tea Factory
/
1980s 1990s OLDIE Collection 5.jpg
1980s 1990s OLDIE Collection 5.jpg (222.13 KiB) Viewed 6679 times
A rich brew, soft and oily
VaratPh
Vendor

Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:50 am

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2021 - Presenting Old Liu An Tea

A Happy New Year 2021 and my best wishes to all. I am appreciative to all who support this humble blog and those who have reached out to me personally. For those who have given me your trust through your acquisitions I take this opportunity to say thank you. It is my great pleasure as we begin 2021 to offer a rare antique tea at a special discounted price as a token of my thanks. As a tea lover first and foremost it is my hope that these samples will give more tea enthusiasts the chance to share in the experience and the passion that such teas generate.

http://theguidetopuerhtea.blogspot.com/ ... d-liu.html
-
1970s Liuan SYS 1.jpg
1970s Liuan SYS 1.jpg (164.71 KiB) Viewed 6607 times
1970s Liu An Sun Yishun Basket
/
1970s Liuan SYS 2.jpg
1970s Liuan SYS 2.jpg (247.21 KiB) Viewed 6607 times
Small tender top leaves are used in this high quality Liu An tea
/
1970s Liuan SYS 4.jpg
1970s Liuan SYS 4.jpg (119.2 KiB) Viewed 6607 times
A grounding and restorative age brew
/
1970s Liuan SYS 5.jpg
1970s Liuan SYS 5.jpg (256.48 KiB) Viewed 6607 times
Wet leaves
VaratPh
Vendor

Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:08 am

Dragon’s Breath (an Old Puerh Blend)

The blending of old puerh tea has long captivated my interest and has become my personal undertaking for over the past decade. Practiced leisurely it is a fun and stimulating hobby that can spring more than a few surprises, honing your ability to see tea under a different light. When taken seriously and obsessively it becomes the driving force for countless experimentation, recipe formulations, never-ending tweaks and refinement. As I look back on the endless trail of scattered tea leaves, I take great pride in presenting my most satisfying achievement to date. - Varat Phong. -

I opted for the name Dragon’s Breath for the trail of mystical incense aroma and warming energy that is the signature of this premium blend. This is a serious blend, composed of old puerh from the 1980s to 1990s that has been meticulously processed in small batches. Upon awakening the dried leaves, a subtle waft of heated incense greets the nose. The richness and opulence of the aroma brings a touch of Kodo "Way of Fragrance" to the tea session. The brew is substantial and thick, possessing sophistication and a depth of complexity that is absorbing. During the course of the tea session the different facets within the brew opens up to notes of rich wood tones, old resins, red fruits, sweet jam, vanillin, a fine minerality whilst maintaining a harmonious balance. The energy of the tea radiates warmth. Closing my eyes I sense an ebb and flow of chi and circulation, revitalizing the body and mind. This is a special treat for the coming holidays.

see more
/
Dragons Breath 1.jpg
Dragons Breath 1.jpg (286.65 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
Dragon’s Breath (an Old Puerh Blend) is the 2nd Release under the OLDIE Collection
/
Dragons Breath 2.jpg
Dragons Breath 2.jpg (209.23 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
1980s and 1990s old puerh tea (Raw/Ripe)
/
Dragons Breath 3.jpg
Dragons Breath 3.jpg (140.35 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
A blend that doesn't drink like a blend
VaratPh
Vendor

Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:17 am

1950s Liuan SYS sample1.jpg
1950s Liuan SYS sample1.jpg (249.57 KiB) Viewed 4117 times
FREE TEA SAMPLE w/ Your Order

The challenges of Covid-19, lockdown, mass mandate, travel restrictions and all that it entails on businesses and individual lives is finally showing signs of easing. 2022 is a year of hope for a return to better times and hopefully a normal life. It is an uplifting projection and as a tea lover a call for a special tea session to generate positivity for the duration of the year. In this spirit I am bringing out a precious tea that is close to my heart, the 1950s Liu An Sun Yishun. The pleasure, joy and inspiration that I gain from my tea session with this antique tea is an experience I hope to extend to my fellow tea enthusiasts who have made this humble blog their source for age tea.

See Full Post
http://theguidetopuerhtea.blogspot.com/ ... ample.html

/
1950s Liuan SYS sample2.jpg
1950s Liuan SYS sample2.jpg (148.77 KiB) Viewed 4117 times
A delectably dark, heavy, sweet, viscous brew
/
1950s Liuan SYS sample3.jpg
1950s Liuan SYS sample3.jpg (156.77 KiB) Viewed 4117 times
Leaves graded for uniformity