Jeanbb

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:55 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:00 am
Highly recommend the green teas:

My thoughts on the offerings:

viewtopic.php?p=37647#p37647

viewtopic.php?p=37931#p37931
Where exactly did you purchase from? I can't find a direct purchasing link, only a site that says opening soon.
LeoFox

Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:05 pm

Jeanbb wrote:
LeoFox wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:00 am
Highly recommend the green teas:

My thoughts on the offerings:

viewtopic.php?p=37647#p37647

viewtopic.php?p=37931#p37931
Where exactly did you purchase from? I can't find a direct purchasing link, only a site that says opening soon.
I pmed you
tjkdubya
Vendor

Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:00 pm

Jeanbb wrote:
Hi there. Our current process is a bit like walking into a neighborhood shop (https://www.daxuejiadao.com password: kuaile). Take a look around, and if anything catches your interest, we'll be happy to chat.
LeoFox

Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:41 pm

Teadb recently sampled the 80s muxiang lb

Jeanbb

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:41 am

teaz.png
teaz.png (135.73 KiB) Viewed 6086 times
Was interested in the Laocong Tieluohan Bok mentioned but felt I'd already gone overboard on costs.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:22 am

Jeanbb wrote:
Was interested in the Laocong Tieluohan Bok mentioned but felt I'd already gone overboard on costs.
It's one of these reference teas to try once/twice to see how a high grade tea can be like. Not a tea to have on a frequent basis, unless money is not an issue :lol:
Youzi

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:52 pm

Jeanbb wrote:

I'd swap out something for the laocong TLH, if you can't afford to add it. That's a one of a kind type of tea.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:01 am

Youzi wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:52 pm
That's a one of a kind type of tea.
Definitely! Never had such strong menthol notes in a tea that was not peppermint...
klepto

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:54 pm

Well now, allow me to say that Daxue Jidao has brought some wonderful experiences to my tea drinking. I jumped into the yancha rabbit hole very early but I never got the true essence of yancha when the quality was so-so. So many times I've had yancha where the roast totally overpowered the expected flavors, so much so it taste like coffee or just tastes like charcoal briquettes :x . So my past experiences met up with my recent experiences and both of us came to the conclusion that we were missing out :o. The roast has been excellent, the expected flavors shined through and it had strength far better than what I was used to. I paired it with some of the best yancha I had and was pleasantly surprised..

Now all I need to do is sell my kidneys to try everything you have to offer :D.
Jeanbb

Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:21 pm

klepto wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:54 pm
Well now, allow me to say that Daxue Jidao has brought some wonderful experiences to my tea drinking. I jumped into the yancha rabbit hole very early but I never got the true essence of yancha when the quality was so-so. So many times I've had yancha where the roast totally overpowered the expected flavors, so much so it taste like coffee or just tastes like charcoal briquettes :x . So my past experiences met up with my recent experiences and both of us came to the conclusion that we were missing out :o. The roast has been excellent, the expected flavors shined through and it had strength far better than what I was used to. I paired it with some of the best yancha I had and was pleasantly surprised..

Now all I need to do is sell my kidneys to try everything you have to offer :D.
I don't have the knowledge of complexities that go into processing to say whether or not this is accurate, but the assumption that I've developed over time is that perhaps the leaves themselves and the specific technique/approach to roasting is more important than simply level of roast as a generic variable. Or perhaps the length of the period between roasts and any subsequent aging effect this too. Also not entirely sure if some lesser quality yanchas have been "roast massacred" or they simply didn't have a lot going on to begin with, and extensive roast at least gives it some defining characteristic.

From the trad, full roast range on Daxue my experience with the Trad Zhengyan Tieluohan for example was that despite a very clear prominent roast the tea was still incredibly well balanced, the depth of flavour and complexity shining well beyond yanchas with lighter roasts I've had previously that outside of aromatics had very little going on. Rich, warming and powerful. I rarely feel emotional simply from drinking tea outside of occasionally marvelling at something particularly impressive, but this was something else. While complex the tea felt like everything was out in the open, certainly nothing hindered by the roast.

Still a little disappointed I didn't purchase the Heritage Laocong Tieluohan sample that Bok mentioned as well as the significantly cheaper generic tieluohan in their trad range for comparison. For a moment in the middle of the session with the Zhengyan Tieluohan I considered buying a 50g bag in future, then came to my senses when I checked and saw the $300 AUD figure. Well perhaps if my cryptocurrency gains continue on current trajectory, otherwise so far the few examples I've gone through are good enough to warrant purchasing from this store again, just keeping things at 8g for $50 teas.

As an aside, I also don't think I've seen better packaging when it comes to tea, not in my own experience and not from what I've seen others purchase.
tjkdubya
Vendor

Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:45 pm

Thank you everyone. It's really gratifying to receive such feedback. It's huge encouragement for us.

And klepto, please don't sell more than one kidney.
Pants404

Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:15 pm

My yancha experiences have been pedestrian at best, but still very enjoyable. I couldn't help but jump on board and placed a small order overnight. My pockets aren't quite as deep as others, so I am waiting on a couple of their cheaper offerings, along with the laocong tieluohan.
The price of postage to Australia always sucks though, so regular orders aren't much of an option.
I have a feeling that I may regret placing this order because I won't be able to go back to the cheap junk that I currently enjoy..
Bok
Vendor

Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:49 am

Pants404 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:15 pm
I have a feeling that I may regret placing this order because I won't be able to go back to the cheap junk that I currently enjoy..
Very likely... a common problem with tea, the higher you come up the mountain, the more difficult is the way down.
tjkdubya
Vendor

Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:50 am

https://daxuejiadao.com/ (password: kuaile)

Hello! We'd like to let you know of a few changes.

We're pleased to reduce the prices on the Trad Tieluohan and Trad Rougui for all vintage years. The Everyday Baiyun Rougui also sees a more modest reduction. In addition, all Everyday yanchas and the non-zhengyan Trads are now available in cost-saving 250g units with further discounts. We hope these changes help make our entry-level yanchas available to a wider audience, however slightly.

New teas for your consideration:

2008 Bamboo Column Wild - Wild-Harvested sheng, compressed into 2 kg bamboo column logs. Wuzhou-stored.
[$64 / 250g] [$16 / 50g]

2020 Guoxiang Rougui - The first of a few new yanchas we're working to introduce to expand our selections on the affordable end of the spectrum. It's one we've been personally enjoying for the past year.
[$110 / 250g] [$25 / 50g] [$6 / 8g]

Tongmuguan Hongcha Collection - A pair of laocong from two different locations (Taoke and Diaoqiao), along with a trio that represents classic lapsang souchong profiles (Da Chigan, Xiao Chigan, and the smoked Yanxun Xiaozhong). These all hail from unfertilized carefully managed sources we feel showcase the quality levels you should expect at these prices. We are making a small amount of these teas available from 2019 and 2020 vintage years.
[$25-44 / 50g] [$6-9 / 8g]

Dianhong Collection - From Lincang to Youle, from ancient single tree harvest to a grove of young zijuan (purple leafed cultivar). We hope these make for an interesting foray into what can be a crowded category of black teas.
[$60-250 / 250g] [$14-60 / 50g]

In other news:

We now just have a few boxes left of the Anhui Handcraft Green Tea Tasting Set. After the tasting sets are sold out, we plan on stocking individual teas in units of 50g.

The Yancha Explorer Issue #1 is also nearing the finish line. We may yet carry some, if not all, of the individual teas in the current collection as standalone items. If you've tried the Issue #1 already, we'd love to hear from you if you have particular favorites you'd like for us to continue to carry. We're very much looking forward to sharing Issue #2 with you in the coming months.

Thank you all for your support thus far!

Shuyu & Ki Won
Bok
Vendor

Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:25 pm

Support comes to those who do good work 8-) 加油!Have yet to be disappointed by any of your teas.