Yann Zisha Gallery

Vendor news and self-promotion
teabug

Mon May 10, 2021 9:07 am

Youzi wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:26 am
But yes, full hand is more of an aesthetic thing. Not ergonomy or different way of brewing.
It might sound very naive, but is it not more likely that fully handmade pots get to use (at least slightly) better clay than the cheaper mould formed a.k.a. half handmade pots? I am vey curious as to how the pot I bought from Yannartgallery yesterday fares up against my mudandleaves pots. If there is no difference what so ever, I paid a whopping $140 tuition fee ($285 vs. $145). But I’m quite optimistic my unconsciousness will be able to talk me into noticing a higher quality with the She Rongfei piece :lol:
faj

Mon May 10, 2021 9:08 am

LeoFox wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:00 am
I thought I was done so many times...
Let me state @faj's rule of teapot ownership™ : the probability that one will purchase at least one more teapot increases with the number of pots one already owns.

Corollary : there is no such thing as "buying one last post", or "being done after this last one".
LeoFox

Mon May 10, 2021 9:14 am

faj wrote:
LeoFox wrote:
Let me state faj's rule of teapot ownership™ : the probability that one will purchase at least one more teapot increases with the number of pots one already owns.

Corollary : there is no such thing as "buying one last post", or "being done after this last one".
I think after 1 pot, the next few pots will come fast, esp if that person believes in designating pots to specific teas. Then the time to next pot will die down for a bit before the desire comes again.
Youzi

Mon May 10, 2021 9:17 am

teabug wrote:
Youzi wrote:
But yes, full hand is more of an aesthetic thing. Not ergonomy or different way of brewing.
It might sound very naive, but is it not more likely that fully handmade pots get to use (at least slightly) better clay than the cheaper mould formed a.k.a. half handmade pots? I am vey curious as to how the pot I bought from Yannartgallery yesterday fares up against my mudandleaves pots. If there is no difference what so ever, I paid a whopping $140 tuition fee ($285 vs. $145). But I’m quite optimistic my unconsciousness will be able to talk me into noticing a higher quality with the She Rongfei piece :lol:
Better clay regarding aesthetics. With teapots, the heat properties are the most important factor which will decide how it'll brew.

It's better to separate clay effect and heat effects. Otherwise you'll buy a lot of tuition pots, thinking that the clay isn't good.

Under a certain porosity clay is more of an aesthetic thing, most importantly.
Youzi

Mon May 10, 2021 9:19 am

LeoFox wrote:
faj wrote:
LeoFox wrote:
Let me state faj's rule of teapot ownership™ : the probability that one will purchase at least one more teapot increases with the number of pots one already owns.

I think after 1 pot, the next few pots will come fast, esp if that person believes in designating pots to specific teas. Then the time to next pot will die down for a bit before the desire comes again.
My next 3 pots came right 3 days after my first teapot, which I thought will be the only one I'll get for months....
faj

Mon May 10, 2021 9:26 am

LeoFox wrote:
Maybe, maybe... But the clock is ticking. :)
LeoFox

Mon May 10, 2021 9:28 am

faj wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:26 am
LeoFox wrote:
Maybe, maybe... But the clock is ticking. :)
I had to make a funny justification for last one: hmmm I need a pot for jasmine tea even though almost everyone makes that tea in porcelain or glass :lol:
faj

Mon May 10, 2021 9:57 am

LeoFox wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:28 am
I had to make a funny justification for last one: hmmm I need a pot for jasmine tea even though almost everyone makes that tea in porcelain or glass :lol:
Sane people may think that once you realize you are making up excuses for a purchase, you are on the road to recovery. I would say that, in many cases, getting rid of the excuses will actually set your spirit free... to purchase more pots without guilt. As long as you stay within the constraints of your budget, that ends up being a quite harmless way to spend disposable income. :)
teabug

Mon May 10, 2021 11:00 am

faj wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:57 am
As long as you stay within the constraints of your budget...
That’s the key.
Cupboard space should also be considered though. ;)
faj

Mon May 10, 2021 11:09 am

teabug wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:00 am
Cupboard space should also be considered though. ;)
Maybe that is the reason people with a lot of teapots often buy small teapots... :D
DailyTX

Mon May 10, 2021 1:27 pm

@teabug
I am glad you adopted a pot 😊
The journey of collecting yixing is deep. Once you have more pot diversity to compare with, you will notice what direction you would like to refine your collection. It feels this discussion may be better to continue in the “Yixing” thread instead of filling up this one.
johnnylake
New user

Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:31 pm

teabug wrote:
Youzi wrote:
Hello! I have been scouring the forums but I have not found if you ever posted an update with your comparison between the mudandleaves pot and the yannartgallery pot? Thank you!
teabug

Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:02 pm

johnnylake wrote:
teabug wrote:
Youzi wrote:
Hello! I have been scouring the forums but I have not found if you ever posted an update with your comparison between the mudandleaves pot and the yannartgallery pot? Thank you!
Hi Jonnylake. I have now used my Zhuni pot from Yannartgallery a few times and can report back. Unfortunately, it didn’t work out for me. The pot design seems not very well thought through. The knob is too small and shallow and hence a bit tricky to grab for my clumsy fingers. Particularly with longer steepings, when the lid becomes really hot. The spout design is unfortunate with a pour of over 20 seconds. And we are talking a fully handmade pot from an allegedly master craftsman. I personally have come to the conclusion that for me and my expectation the mudandleaves‘ half handmade pots are the way to go. Nothing fancy, but solid design and craftsmanship with decent clay for an acceptable price point. But that might not necessarily work for you. Perhaps you would prefer the fully handmade pots from yannartgallery? Who knows. To each his own.
LeoFox

Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:24 pm

teabug wrote:
Hi Jonnylake. I have now used my Zhuni pot from Yannartgallery a few times and can report back. Unfortunately, it didn’t work out for me. The pot design seems not very well thought through. The knob is too small and shallow and hence a bit tricky to grab for my clumsy fingers. Particularly with longer steepings, when the lid becomes really hot. The spout design is unfortunate with a pour of over 20 seconds. And we are talking a fully handmade pot from an allegedly master craftsman. I personally have come to the conclusion that for me and my expectation the mudandleaves‘ half handmade pots are the way to go. Nothing fancy, but solid design and craftsmanship with decent clay for an acceptable price point. But that might not necessarily work for you. Perhaps you would prefer the fully handmade pots from yannartgallery? Who knows. To each his own.
Can you post some pics of the pot, focusing on the too tiny knob and the spout design?
Youzi

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:47 pm

teabug wrote:
johnnylake wrote:
teabug wrote:

Which teapot did you get?