Leafy Green Tea

Vendor news and self-promotion
chofmann
Vendor

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:50 pm

It Is Here!

We finally have HY Chen's YanYun tea in stock. This is an absolutely delicious oolong from his garden on dong ding mountain prepared in the style of a yancha. For this tea, Chen does everything himself by hand in small batches. He only makes 7kg TOTAL per year, and we were lucky enough to snag 2kg of it.

It isn't on our website yet, but if you are interested just send me a PM or an email with your email address, physical address, and the amount of tea you want. We'll send you an invoice and ship the tea out shortly thereafter.

This tea is not cheap, but it is, in my opinion, completely worth it. As usual, we are pricing the same way that Chen is, which is $1 / gram. Given the high price of the tea, we are going to sell it by the gram with a 5g minimum. Shipping is $5, free if you spend more than $49. We should have it on the website in the next two weeks or so, but if you want to combine it with an order of teas from the site to get the free shipping, just order as normal on the site and send me a note and we'll tack on the YanYun and reimburse for shipping.

As a reminder, we only ship within the US at this time.

If you have any questions, please let me know, and I hope you all enjoy this wonderful creation!
chofmann
Vendor

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:25 pm

Just an update on Leafy Green -

We have added several new teas over the past few months, with a few more coming in the next 1-2 weeks.
Anhui Teas
-- Keemun black tea
-- Keemun green tea (same farm as Keemun black tea, but produced in a mao feng style)
-- Wild Mao Feng
-- Wild Huo Shan Huang Ya (yellow tea)
-- Taiping Houkui Sanhe
-- Taiping Houkui Yanjia

Wuyishan - these are all coming soon to the website. Should be up in the next 1-2 weeks.
-- Lao Cong Shui Xian
-- Rou Gui
-- Unsmoked Lapsang Souchong

Chen's Teas - We are also always adding to our list of teas that we carry from Chen. Currently we carry the following:
-- 100-year farm Dong Ding (Unroasted, Light Roasted, Medium Roasted, Heavy Roasted)
-- Alishan Jinxuan
-- Ruby Red 18
-- Shan Lin Xi
-- Yan Yun

Additionally, Matcha is back in stock and better than ever. I feel quite confident that you will not find a better matcha at this price point. Works best for Usucha, but can do Koicha as well.

If you have any questions at all, definitely reach out!

www.leafygreentea.com
chofmann
Vendor

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:32 pm

chofmann wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:25 pm
Just an update on Leafy Green -

We have added several new teas over the past few months, with a few more coming in the next 1-2 weeks.
Anhui Teas
-- Keemun black tea
-- Keemun green tea (same farm as Keemun black tea, but produced in a mao feng style)
-- Wild Mao Feng
-- Wild Huo Shan Huang Ya (yellow tea)
-- Taiping Houkui Sanhe
-- Taiping Houkui Yanjia

Wuyishan - these are all coming soon to the website. Should be up in the next 1-2 weeks.
-- Lao Cong Shui Xian
-- Rou Gui
-- Unsmoked Lapsang Souchong

Chen's Teas - We are also always adding to our list of teas that we carry from Chen. Currently we carry the following:
-- 100-year farm Dong Ding (Unroasted, Light Roasted, Medium Roasted, Heavy Roasted)
-- Alishan Jinxuan
-- Ruby Red 18
-- Shan Lin Xi
-- Yan Yun

Additionally, Matcha is back in stock and better than ever. I feel quite confident that you will not find a better matcha at this price point. Works best for Usucha, but can do Koicha as well.

If you have any questions at all, definitely reach out!

www.leafygreentea.com
The above mentioned teas from Wuyishan are now up on the website. Check them out!

Also, I forgot to mention two additional teas from Chen that we just uploaded:

-- Bug-Bitten (summer-picked dong ding that has been bitten by the little bugs for an additional honey-aroma and processed slightly differently than traditional dong ding).
-- Sugar White Tea (Chen uses his oolong leaves to produce a white tea. It is divine.)

Enjoy!
Victoria
Admin

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:13 pm

How are you steeping Chen’s Sugar White? Will try it soon.
This morning I’m sipping on his Peak of Summer tea, it’s okay. Tastes like lush green summer time but also has some tannic notes. Yesterday, I splurged again and had a big pot of his LiShan Primitive Wild Forest, it’s beyond good 🌞🍃.
chofmann
Vendor

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:27 pm

Victoria wrote:
We always encourage our customers to experiment with their own brewing due to differences in water / altitude, but... as a baseline we use ~5g for a 120ml pot, water just off a boil, and 5-10 seconds for the first infusion +5 seconds each. We never wash Chen's teas.
pedant
Admin

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:37 pm

chofmann wrote:
Sugar White Tea (Chen uses his oolong leaves to produce a white tea. It is divine.)
qingxin/青心 cultivar right?

i've never had something like that before hm
Victoria
Admin

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:45 pm

chofmann wrote:
Victoria wrote:
We always encourage our customers to experiment with their own brewing due to differences in water / altitude, but... as a baseline we use ~5g for a 120ml pot, water just off a boil, and 5-10 seconds for the first infusion +5 seconds each. We never wash Chen's teas.
Yeah, I don’t rinse any of his teas either, they are very clean and not too thick so don’t really need opening up. I asked about steeping Sugar White thinking +-198F might make sense since it’s a white tea.
chofmann
Vendor

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:48 pm

Victoria wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:45 pm
chofmann wrote:
Victoria wrote:
Yeah, I don’t rinse any of his teas either, they are very clean and not too thick so don’t really need opening up. I asked about steeping Sugar White thinking +-198F might make sense since it’s a white tea.
That feels about right. We rarely take temperature while drinking teas at home and instead 'play it by ear'. For his sugar white tea we do let it cool slightly from a boil, so it is probably around 200 or so as opposed to the 212. For all his dong ding and yancha we do a full boil... for bug-bitten we aim for 190-200 or so since the leaves are more delicate.
chofmann
Vendor

Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:53 pm

pedant wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:37 pm
chofmann wrote:
Sugar White Tea (Chen uses his oolong leaves to produce a white tea. It is divine.)
qingxin/青心 cultivar right?

i've never had something like that before hm
Not quite. Chen has a few cultivars on his farm because they were all planted at different times over the generations. It all comes from his farm, but for the Sugar White he uses a blend of different cultivars. He won't even tell us the exact blend.... Trade secret and all that.
chofmann
Vendor

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:58 am

Exciting News - We now ship to Canada ($12 flat) and the UK ($26 flat).
chofmann
Vendor

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:49 am

It is our first ever sale! Celebrating our 1-year anniversary and Black Friday.

10% off includes gift cards.

Free samples not included on gift card orders.

Both sample teas come from HY Chen and are special limited edition teas.

As a reminder, we now ship to Canada and UK (as well as the US).
chofmann
Vendor

Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:03 am

chofmann wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:49 am
It is our first ever sale! Celebrating our 1-year anniversary and Black Friday.

10% off includes gift cards.

Free samples not included on gift card orders.

Both sample teas come from HY Chen and are special limited edition teas.

As a reminder, we now ship to Canada and UK (as well as the US).
Just a reminder, this sale ends tonight (11.26) at midnight EST! We likely won't be having another one until our next anniversary, so take advantage while you can.
chofmann
Vendor

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:45 pm

A few new updates here:

Two new teas:
  • Rose Oolong - An HY Chen special, this is a Spring Shan Lin Xi from 1400 meters that has been combined with fresh rose petals to create a delightful flavor and aroma. Perfect for Valentine's day, or just whenever you want to be knocked off your feet by the smell of roses. Shipped in HY Chen's original 25g packaging in order to best preserve the strong aroma.
  • Alishan Black - Also processed by HY Chen, this uses standard Alishan oolong cultivar (i.e. not Jinxuan) to create sweet honey and plum notes. This is a winter pick.
Additionally, winter Dong Ding teas are now in stock. I personally prefer the Winter picks as I find them to be a little bit smoother and sweeter, but I know others may prefer Spring picks. The unroasted is particularly exciting this year with strong floral orchid notes and acidic fruit, with a nice sweetness. The medium roast is also fantastic.

I hope everybody enjoys the teas!
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:26 pm

chofmann wrote:
A few new updates here:

. The unroasted is particularly exciting this year
I am taking a lot of time to make final judgment but so far this Winter's tea from Taiwan seems to me to be significantly better than normal. The weather that lowered the yield also improved the taste! (Talking in general, I do not drink dong ding.) Cheers
chofmann
Vendor

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:36 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:26 pm
chofmann wrote:
A few new updates here:

. The unroasted is particularly exciting this year
I am taking a lot of time to make final judgment but so far this Winter's tea from Taiwan seems to me to be significantly better than normal. The weather that lowered the yield also improved the taste! (Talking in general, I do not drink dong ding.) Cheers
I definitely agree that the taste is overall improved. It is unfortunate that the yield was low though, especially with the tea so delicious. However, I have heard that the Si Ji Chun was only ok this winter, and the few that I tried didn't impress me. Funny, given the name 'Four Seasons'.