Leafy Green Tea

Vendor news and self-promotion
chofmann
Vendor

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:21 pm

Hi everybody! I hope your weeks are off to a good start. Unfortunately, ours is not. Last night, the Leafy Green instagram account mysteriously disappeared! We are trying to work with IG/FB to bring it back, but don't have high hopes. In the meantime, we have created @LeafyGreen.Tea on Instagram.

If you previously followed us, or are interested in following us going forward, we would greatly appreciate it if you used the new @LeafyGreen.Tea handle.

Thanks!
chofmann
Vendor

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:58 am

We got written up in the Providence Journal!

Article is about my wife and Leafy Green and also includes a video / recipes to enjoy matcha in two unique ways: Matcha Affogato and Matcha Sparkler.

I hope everybody enjoys :)
chofmann
Vendor

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:47 pm

We're headed off to Japan in ~10 days for some sourcing. All orders placed after 12pm EST on Monday April 8th will be processed when we return on Wednesday April 24th.

We have a lot of great farm visits lined up and are very excited about our new lineup of Japanese teas :)
Victoria
Admin

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:24 pm

Apologies for not following up with you about the Kagoshima farmers. Will you go down there? I will pm you info. Those Kagoshima farmers are hilariously fun.
swordofmytriumph

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:16 pm

So excited to see what you have lined up!
oolongfan

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:56 pm

As I am sipping some of Chen's lovely tea from Leafy Green, I will say that the quality and feshness of Chen's tea from Leafy Green are excellent. I go through my teas slowly due to health reasons that limit me to drinkng tea twice a week, out of 40ml-60ml teapots for the most part. My unroasted lightly oxidized oolongs from Leafy Green remain very fresh despite having ordereed them many months ago. This is more a testament to the freshness and quality of the tea than my storage capabilities. The same holds true for the more oxidized and roasted teas from Leafy Green.

I buy from high quality vendors life Leafy Green because the teas taste fabelous and because of the vednor's philosphy buying from and good relaitonships with farmers who us sustainable farming practices. There is a transparency that goes from farmer to vendor, to me. I know that I can trust Michelle if I have questions regarding the tea. This trust is priceless as a tea drinker, especial given my health issues

I would suggest trying Leafy Green anyone Stateside wanting to try Chen's tea :)

I really knwo nothing about Japanese tea so this might a great opportunity to learn..excited to see the new line up.
chofmann
Vendor

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:58 pm

oolongfan wrote:
As I am sipping some of Chen's lovely tea from Leafy Green, I will say that the quality and feshness of Chen's tea from Leafy Green are excellent. I go through my teas slowly due to health reasons that limit me to drinkng tea twice a week, out of 40ml-60ml teapots for the most part. My unroasted lightly oxidized oolongs from Leafy Green remain very fresh despite having ordereed them many months ago. This is more a testament to the freshness and quality of the tea than my storage capabilities. The same holds true for the more oxidized and roasted teas from Leafy Green.

I buy from high quality vendors life Leafy Green because the teas taste fabelous and because of the vednor's philosphy buying from and good relaitonships with farmers who us sustainable farming practices. There is a transparency that goes from farmer to vendor, to me. I know that I can trust Michelle if I have questions regarding the tea. This trust is priceless as a tea drinker, especial given my health issues

I would suggest trying Leafy Green anyone Stateside wanting to try Chen's tea :)

I really knwo nothing about Japanese tea so this might a great opportunity to learn..excited to see the new line up.

oolongfan

Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:12 pm

Well deserved, thank you for such fabelous sustainable teas.

edited for crummy spelling
Last edited by oolongfan on Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:06 pm

oolongfan wrote:
.... My unroasted lightly oxidized oolongs from Leafy Green remain very fresh despite having ordereed them many months ago... This is more a testament to the freshness and quality of the tea than my storage capabilities.
Maybe you are very good at storage! I don't remember any unroasted lightly oxidized oolong not losing a noticeable amount of flavor months after its container is opened. I recently discovered that my older sister had not closed the 60-gram foil packet of such a tea (Perfect from me) and it had lost the sweet part of its flavors. Fortunately, after months it still had the green mountain gaoshan freshness and no bitterness, but it was not so dynamic nor impressive.
For a non-tea hot beverage you might try Postum. No caffeine etc. Cheers
oolongfan

Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:13 pm

Ethan - Wow that must been awful lossing your favorite tea! I am guessing your sister was banned from your tea stash after that ;)

I have an industrial vacuum sealer..plus I am only drinking twice a week..so the tea is not sbjected to daily opening and handling -if that makes any difference.

I agee that the initial openning of green oolongs does have an impact..but honestly I have been amazed at how much flavor and vitality Leafy Greens unroasted Dong Ding retained.

Like yourself I have had green oolongs (often cheaper and farmed les responsibly) become lack laster after even two months. I no longer buy cheaply made tea, since being diagnosed with kidney disease and elevate cortisol, I had a haitus from tea. Upon being able to handle tea, I decided to skip the cheaper stuff and focus on well made tea produced using sustanable methods. This was for both health and taste reasons..the latter..well imagine if you could only drink tea twice a week..would you waste those precious cups on medicore tea.

I think a well made tea will age better than one made poorly. Sure -some vitality may be lost inirially...but in my meagre green oolon experience, well made tea retains it power, flavors, and presence. Maybe it could be just a matter of taste...some people preffering the powerful intensity of a just openned green oolong ;) I have been amazed to see how much flavor and vitality Leafy Green Chen's unroasted Dong Ding retained!

Potsum...oh I remember potsum...it just never appealed to me taste wise..and I roast and drink coffee for the taste..so it was never agood coffee substitute. Thanks for the suggestion....caffeine free seems to mean not so good taste for me. I roast coffee and the only decafs I can stand are Sweet Maria's donkey blend..because it is meant to be roasted dark like Vienna roast..and because it has a lovely chocolate note. Most decafs are mono dimensional to me..and taste like barley or malt.

Have you ever come across adecaf version of tea? I have not but am game to try anything once ;)
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:27 pm

Oolongfan, I do not mean to whine about that tea that my sister did not close properly. I mentioned it before and am not sore now about it. This time it was in context of the tea losing its sweetness but not losing the greenness (which I equate w/ fresh mountain feeling) which is often called vegetal. The other surprise: old teas that was very good, is that will be worth drinking for so long. Some people may not even notice that old tea is flat.

Postum and herbal teas are not substitutes in my mind. They are different items than coffee or camelia sinensis.

And sorry to say, never have enjoyed excellent tea that was decaf. For bagged teas like Tetley's, it may not matter much.

Don't get how you can drink coffee but hardly any tea because coffee seems like the much harsher drink.

Similar to you oolongfan, lately I have come to think that highest quality is the best option most of the time. If they are not as satisfying as usual, it might indicate that the next beverage to drink should not be any tea. My youngest sister tells me that every other glass raised to one's lips should be filled with water. Recently I read about "hedonic adaptation", the way extraordinarily good comes to taste ordinary. (Too much consumption of something wonderful....)

Cheers
chofmann
Vendor

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:24 am

We're back! Very successful trip. Nothing specific to announce at this time, but we met with some incredible gyokuro, matcha, and sencha farmers. Also drank some interesting Japanese Oolong and Japanese Black tea.

We also introduced one of the Japanese farmers to a white tea producer outside of Japan to help educate. The Japanese farmer will be visiting over the summer to help make some summer-picked White tea. We are hoping that he can eventually make Japanese White Tea.

As we finalize which teas we will be stocking and when, I'll be sure to update everybody here.

Shincha season is upon us and we had the pleasure of drinking some fresh Kagoshima shincha one evening that was processed earlier that morning. I hope everybody keeps in mind that the timing of shincha is not only weather dependent, but altitude dependent as well. Many farms in Japan are at 200 meters or lower, and their tea comes out 2-3 weeks before farms in the same geography that are 400 meters or higher. First flush is important, but earliest is not always best. Furthermore, good matcha typically doesn't come out until after the summer - patience is a virtue!

Stay tuned!
Instagram: @LeafyGreen.Tea
chofmann
Vendor

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:34 pm

Many New Teas and Updates at Leafy Green!

We've been very busy and are excited to launch several new teas from our Japan trip back in April of this year. Here are some of the new teas that are now for sale. Additional teas coming soon.

Sakuracha - Sakuracha (桜茶) is a very special, traditional Japanese infusion that is unlike any other. Sakura is the name for the famous pink cherry blossoms that bloom all over Japan in the spring. The flowers are mixed with ume plum vinegar and salt and is left to infuse for 3-4 weeks. Cherry blossom tea is considered very special in Japan and is mostly served at weddings, as it is believed to represent new beginnings. A little salty, with floral and plum flavors. Caffeine free.

Mare Gyokuro - An ultra premium gyokuro, Leafy Green is proud to be able to offer such a high quality tea. We recommend this gourmet tea for those who desire a delicacy. Its preparation demands attention and patience, but the flavor is a worthy reward for all the care and attention. It is worthwhile to take a whiff of both the steamed, and the still dry tea leaves inside the pre-heated kettle, prior to steeping, as the scent of the tea is absolutely astonishing. Rich umami flavor with finishing of sweet sugar peas.

Asahi Honzu Matcha - This unblended 100% Asahi Cultivar Matcha From Uji captivated our hearts upon the first sip. Asahi cultivar is reserved in Uji for its natural sweetness and shade of deep green. Typically Matchas are blended between 2 or more cultivars to achieve the best color, smell and taste. However, this incredible 100% Asahi cultivar is able to achieve all that on its own. Recommended for koicha. Creamy, Sweet Grass, and Umami.

Yamenohana Matcha - This matcha is grown and produced in Yame Kyushu, which is famous for its traditional method of production of quality tea leaves. Yame is an ideal location for quality teas due to its climate. Our Yamenohana is quality every day matcha, the flavor profile is a well balanced umami with hints of sweet grass after finish. Recommended as a daily matcha for mixed drinks or Usucha. Not for Koicha.

Tencha - Tencha is the name for tea leaves used for Matcha, before the leaves are ground into fine powder. The Tencha flavor, brewed the same way as Gyokuro, is unique and elegant. Tea leaves for Tencha are grown in the same way as Gyokuro, but processed differently. Tencha typically isn't consumed as a tea, but results in a delicious and unique experience somewhere between gyokuro and matcha. Mellow umami flavor with well rounded sweetness.
I hope you enjoy the teas (and pictures!) as much as we do :)

Happy Steepings ~Leafy Green
chofmann
Vendor

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:31 am

Very pleased to announce that we just found out this morning that our Asahi Honzu Matcha farmer just won the first prize, the Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Prize, at the Kyoto Prefectural Tea Competition for their 2019 Tencha. This tencha will be ground down into matcha in ~2 months. The Asahi Honzu is the highest grade that the farmer offers.

We currently carry their 2018 matcha (2019 isn't out yet). While the 2018 didn't win 1st place, this farmer has won 1st place several times over the past 5-10 years and the previous generation won a few times as well. Any single year is of course subject to normal variation, but to win / place well so frequently highlights the quality of both the leaf and the processing.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:32 am

Congratulations, this is quite an honor.
For processing I was not aware that Tencha rests for ~2 months before grinding begins to make Matcha. Is this particular to this farmer or processor? Curious.