Tillerman Tea

Vendor news and self-promotion
LeoFox

Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:37 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:09 pm
LeoFox, the gaoshan tea i receive comes in vacuum sealed 150g packages . When I ship an order it is in a resealable compostable pouch with an oxygen absorber.
I am sure you have tested the stability of your tea in this container closure system - but can you share how long you believe the quality of your tea can be maintained in these pouches? In my experience, once opened from vacuum, green gaoshan tend to noticeably deteriorate after about 2-3 weeks, even when kept with oxygen absorbers and clipped tightly.
Tillerman
Vendor

Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:53 pm

@LeoFox, we're now getting into some pretty subjective territory; what you call deterioration, others might call development. My own view is that a quality unroasted gaoshan should remain "healthy" for a good six months. It won't taste exactly the same at the end of that period as it did at the outset, but it ought to offer a fine cup(s) of tea. As I open the vacuum sealed packs on an as needed basis and as I bring new teas at each harvest, I have no worries about stale tea. That said, I am a vendor and doubtless harbor vendors' biases.
LeoFox

Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:52 pm

Tillerman wrote:
LeoFox, we're now getting into some pretty subjective territory; what you call deterioration, others might call development. My own view is that a quality unroasted gaoshan should remain "healthy" for a good six months. It won't taste exactly the same at the end of that period as it did at the outset, but it ought to offer a fine cup(s) of tea. As I open the vacuum sealed packs on an as needed basis and as I bring new teas at each harvest, I have no worries about stale tea. That said, I am a vendor and doubtless harbor vendors' biases.
Great answer! Thank you!
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:48 pm

Just checking---are two people discussing the same situation? Leofox refers to a vacuum pack opened & how long the tea in it remains good. Is that what Tillerman is talking about?

Also, tea may be usable that is inside a packet that was opened months ago, but perhaps that is not good enough. Perhaps I am wrong in thinking that tea drinkers do so for pleasure unlike many coffee drinkers who need a boost as much or more than they need flavor.
Tillerman
Vendor

Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:35 pm

@Ethan Kurland, you had to follow the series of questions between @LeoFox and me. They dealt with teas in vacuum sealed packages being repacked in pouches.
LeoFox

Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:51 pm

I have had very bad tea stored out of vacuum from state side vendors - from sour and stale oolongs to roasted oolong that has cigarette stink compared to same tea, same harvest but in vacuum packs direct from farmer.

Because of this, I mostly swore off buying oolong from state side companies who repackage out of vacuum. I have faith in Tillerman though!
Tillerman
Vendor

Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:58 pm

@LeoFox, thank you for the kind words. If you wish to have vacuum sealed packages, I can sell them to you (5.375 oz.). Can't do it through the website though - needs to be entered by hand so send me an email if you are interested. david@tillermantea.net.
Pan

Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:55 am

I need to order more from Tillerman its been quite a bit.
tjkdubya
Vendor

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:36 am

Tillerman wrote:
LeoFox, we're now getting into some pretty subjective territory; what you call deterioration, others might call development.
👍

I prefer a slightly "deteriorated" oo myself, if we're going to call it that ha. It's about balance, and a tea finding its comfortable settling place.

Even something like green tea will go through a settling period. For a good longjing, for example, very fresh tea has its immediate attraction, but I prefer it much more after a couple months of mellowing out and losing some of its toasty fresh-off-the-wok notes. You do lose something in that process, but gain something else as well.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:37 am

tjkdubya wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:36 am
..... You do lose something in that process, but gain something else as well.
+1 to realistic assessment, reminding me of a fact of life, "perfect" often does not exist except as a concept, a hope or goal. A tea will not offer absolutely every characteristic that one likes while not having a single characteristic that puts one off. That tea may be one of the very best teas; no tea will ever please some of us more. Same goes for various preparations & teaware.
LeoFox

Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:34 pm

Laoshi has arrived!
Tillerman
Vendor

Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:17 pm

Yes @LeoFox, it arrived yesterday, at last.
Pan

Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:53 am

I have loved your high mountal and ali shan varieties, so buttery rich and smooth. I need to get some of your roasted ones as well.
Victoria
Admin

Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:46 pm

@Tillerman I’ve have heard rave reviews of your now sold out laoshi Hehuanshan and Alishan. I was lucky to get your laoshi’s winter Lishan processed as DongDing, it is an elegant oolong. Will you be making available any spring teas from Chen Huan Tang ?
Tillerman
Vendor

Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:34 pm

@Victoria, I certainly do plan on bringing in more of both of those teas when the spring 2021 harvest is available. And, if Laoshi will allow it, I'll bring in a larger quantity. For now the only Chen Huan Tang tea I have in stock is the winter 2020 dong ding (it's in stock only because I committed to 7 jin (4.2 kg) at the outset. I'll keep you apprised as to when the spring tea will be available.