Ethan Kurland

Vendor news and self-promotion
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:06 am

List of teas & information for ordering has been updated. See the post of June 5, 2021 near the bottom of this page.
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:23 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:27 pm
Current list -- June 5, 2021 below.
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:14 am

It seems the website is down?
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:25 pm

I don't use a website. One day one of my nieces insisted on putting me on Facebook & on another day started Ethan & Tea or whatever. I don't do social media & was unsuccessful in a lame attempt to delist myself & the site. My niece promised to remove me but has not. Unknown to me who had never had much contact with her before she moved to Boston, she has some mental health issues. She decided that I let her down....

Anyway, I sell only here on teaforum except for a few people who used to see me at a few festivals. List of teas a few posts below: Post of June 5, 2021
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:53 am

List of available below -- June 5, 2021
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 18 times in total.
LeoFox

Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:13 pm

Just to confirm: your dyl is charcoal roasted?
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:52 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:13 pm
Just to confirm: your dyl is charcoal roasted?
It is not.
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:48 pm

New list of teas June 5, 2021
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat May 29, 2021 10:14 am

New teas is the next post. Father's Love & Championship Black available again.

I wrote a few times that I thought that the best gaoshan (lightly oxidized, high-mountain oolong) would not be available until late. I believe that happened. I sampled more broadly than ever & late into the season, & the best finally came to the fore. I found excellent Dayuling I can sell for less than $1 a gram & wonderful Foushoushan (the best gaoshan of this Spring) for a bit over $1 per gram.

A surprise is that after years of disappointment, I was able to acquire oolong from high up Mt. Li that is not roasted. I have drunk this farmer/producer's gaoshan with him twice but in past years he only sold me roasted tea made with the same leaves. This season I have this gaoshan from him as well as a 20% roasted tea.

From Shanlinxi I have 3 lightly oxidized oolongs available: 1. Perfect, which I sold for many seasons, returns as a very good tea & best value-for-$; 2. Shanlinxi of higher quality & altitude at a slightly higher price; & 3. Longfengxia from the top of the mountain & close to being top quality gaoshan; & at an even lower in price than last season.

In a couple of weeks I will sample just in case there is more excellence & flavor from the last leaves harvested from this Spring season. Cheers
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:56 pm

The tea is here! I am selling & shipping now. All tea is from Taiwan & vacuum-packed in thick foil.

Spring 2021: lightly-oxidized, high-altitude tea, oolong, (a.k.a. gaoshan) 50 grams:

1. FOUSHOUSHAN: This the best gaohan of this season with delicious, strong, dynamic flavors. Besides being so tasty, it is so interesting as varying only the length of steeping time can change the brew so much. $55 ($1.10 per gram)

2. DAYULING: Similar to but subtler than #1 & as good as the excellent DYL of Spring 2020. $45 (90 cents per gram)

3. LONGFENGXIA: The farmer/processor of the only gaoshan that I bought last Winter produced excellent tea again & for less $ than last Winter's. $37 (74 cents per gram)

4. LISHAN: This season is the only time that I have been able to obtain this excellent tea that is in high-demand; &, the price is low. $32 (64 cents per gram)

5. SHANLINXI: This is very good & from higher up the mountain than tea of the same name sold by me in past years. $25 (50 cents per gram)

6. PERFECT: I am so happy to be able to drink & sell this tea again. It is from lower down the same mountain that #3 & #5 come from (Shanlinxi). Has some pleasant slight sweetness & is great value for money. $19 (38 cents per gram)

Spring 2021: Medium-roasted gaoshan: 60 grams:

7. 20%: This tea was roasted but not enough to bury the unique flavor of oolong that was oxidized more than a little but not enough to be close to a black tea. If leaves are steeped very long, the brew tastes as if leaves were heavily roasted. $30 (50 cents per gram)

Traditionally-roasted aged Lishan oolongs:

Leaves in bamboo baskets are roasted above hot charcoal for 2 - 3 days. Baskets are shaken & rotated every 20 - 30 minutes for an even, thorough roast. The roasted tea is put inside ceramic urns for aging. The urns are sealed tight & stored in a cool, dry place to be opened every 3 years for the tea to be checked & given a short re-roast to maintain a proper level of moisture.

8. FATHER'S LOVE: The best organic leaves of an exceptionally good season for Mt. Li about 9 years ago, were not used for lightly roasted Lishan but chosen for heavy roasting & aging. After 5 years much of the aged tea was emptied from the aging urns. About once a year a bit of the remaining tea is taken from the urns. (Last time I did not get offered any.) One of the very best teas (IMHO) for its smooth unique blend of flavors dominated by the taste of perfect roasting: A truly special tea! $60 for 60 grams ($1 per gram)

9. 1998: Top quality leaves aged from 1998 until December 2020 (= 22 year of aging). Have 3 packets for sale; no more coming. $50 for 56 grams (about 90 cents per gram)

BLACK TEA:

10. CHAMPIONSHIP BLACK: Top quality, pesticide-free leaves were chosen by the contest-winning farmer/processor who oxidized them to a 90% level which qualifies it as a black tea; yet it can seem like oolong, Oriental Beauty. Many people prepare this gongfu style. This pleases all & is great for varying parameters to highlight various flavors (e.g. quick steeping to taste tart fruit). $45 for 60 grams (75 cents per gram)

Shipping to anywhere in the USA for flat fee of $8; Canada $14. PM here or email merrill23k@yahoo.com for questions or orders.
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:40 am, edited 7 times in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:51 pm

Tea is ready to be purchased. Shipping now. List is post above this one.
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:17 pm

20%: Medium Roasted Oolong: In list of teas for sale 2 posts above.

This tea is oxidized more than lightly oxidized oolong to supply the taste of oolong that is not green but not close to being a black tea. What I like about medium roast versus a heavier roast is I can taste underlying flavor(s) that are usually buried by heavier roasting. For this tea the underlying flavors are most prevalent in the first infusion especially when I don't steep the leaves long. I love the first & second infusions; a third is okay. Long steeping makes a brew that tastes as if the leaves had been more heavily roasted.

This tea is unique. Its medium levels of oxidation & roasting work uncommonly well together to provide a different tasty drink.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:53 am

List of teas available for purchase are several posts above, dated June 5, 2021.

FOUSHOUSHAN vs. PERFECT (Lightly oxidized oolong, expensive vs. inexpensive):

In 2 weeks I finished a 50-gram pack of FSS. For several days I had enjoyed drinking 4 infusions of around 140 ml at least once a day (prepared in various teapots). Then I steeped around 75 ml of water in a porcelain bowl for 4 infusions twice a day until I had used all of the 50 grams.

The FSS is dynamic, tasty, & full of flavors that are strong but not harsh. I drank about 560 ml very quickly once (4 x 140) to get tea drunk which was fun & most pleasant. (& totally unnecessary.) Wonderful aftertaste follows the initial pleasure. All that I look for in this category of tea is provided by FSS, my favorite lightly oxidized oolong this season & one of my favorite teas overall.

PERFECT is tasty & satisfies a thirst for lightly oxidized oolong. My 1st session of the pack was drunk only 3 hours after a session of FSS. Then the flavors of PERFECT seemed fine while its sweetness, though expected, felt strange. The 2nd session which began my next day was satisfying. I liked & continue to like the sweetness (which is not overwhelming other flavors) & also the impression of lightness (very close to good Boazhong). There is pleasant aftertaste. Note: leaves are very good for 3 infusions.

COMPARISON: Quality: FSS is the greater tea. It is special & superior to PERFECT; but drinking PERFECT is enough pleasure to prevent one from missing a better tea. Also the sweetness & lightness of PERFECT is something I want (& some others want, I expect). PERFECT is easy to enjoy for 2 or 3 weeks it takes to use 50 grams once a packet is opened. Then one might want a change for 2 - 3 weeks but does not need the change. VALUE FOR $: 50 grams of FSS costs almost 3 X the cost of PERFECT. (I get 1 more infusion from the FSS; so cost of FSS per ml drunk is only 2.5 X greater.)

CONCLUSION: If price matters, PERFECT is a must-buy. It pleases & satisfies most affordably. It should be tried by those who don't worry about prices because of its characteristics of gaoshan mixed with characteristics of baozhong grown at lower heights. FSS is special & worth the price.
Last edited by Victoria on Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: added link