Akira Satake

Korea, Europe, the Americas, and abroad
Bok
Vendor

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:03 pm

Victoria wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:37 pm
If you have not yet held a piece like this, and without a knowledge of art history and philosophy, it will be difficult to discern quality.
I do agree with most of what you wrote, except the above.

In my view, if I need to study the history and philosophy behind an object to understand it, it is not done well enough. The art should speak for itself. Even if it will create different interpretations of what its quality is.

Furthermore, we are talking about applied art here, not pure art. As such it is an object which first and foremost needs to serve its intended purpose. I prefer to talk of artisans instead of artists where objects of daily use are concerned. That doesn't exclude that some artisans can also be called artists as their level of mastery exceeds those of their peers.

But that what is an artist is whole other topic... (for me artist is reserved for excellence in any field of expertise, the above average, the 1%, but that is probably a controversial view point for many)
rdl

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:20 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:03 pm
Victoria wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:37 pm
If you have not yet held a piece like this, and without a knowledge of art history and philosophy, it will be difficult to discern quality.
I do agree with most of what you wrote, except the above.

In my view, if I need to study the history and philosophy behind an object to understand it, it is not done well enough. The art should speak for itself. Even if it will create different interpretations of what its quality is.

Furthermore, we are talking about applied art here, not pure art. As such it is an object which first and foremost needs to serve its intended purpose. I prefer to talk of artisans instead of artists where objects of daily use are concerned. That doesn't exclude that some artisans can also be called artists as their level of mastery exceeds those of their peers.

But that what is an artist is whole other topic... (for me artist is reserved for excellence in any field of expertise, the above average, the 1%, but that is probably a controversial view point for many)
Bok,
Would you say a novice tea drinker can drink a rare exquisite tea and be able to discern all its finest points because:
"if I need to study the history and philosophy behind a [tea] to understand it, it is not done well enough. The [tea] should speak for itself."
Bok
Vendor

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:33 pm

rdl wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:20 pm
Would you say a novice tea drinker can drink a rare exquisite tea and be able to discern all its finest points because:
"if I need to study the history and philosophy behind a [tea] to understand it, it is not done well enough. The [tea] should speak for itself."
While I see where you are getting with this, I think the two things are not quite the same.

Everyone has been drinking and eating food their whole life. So perception of flavour and reactions of our body to it are naturally trained and accumulated. If something tastes nice to someone, can be perceived without prior knowledge or exposure to it. It might often actually be better not to know anything about it to appreciate it without preconceived notions.

A key factor why a lot of novices might not "get" a fine tea is because they did maybe not prepare it right.
rdl

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:01 am

I understand your point of view. And I appreciate the discussion rather than debate, as likes are so very subjective. I do ascribe to the cliché, knowledge is power, so whether or not a cup like that is admired, I still agree that having the deeper knowledge of Japanese aesthetic, in this case, does deepen the appreciation. And once on that path, who knows where it could lead to?
Possibly back to porcelain!
iGo

Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:54 pm

Akira Satake Ceramics Online 15 % off Sale Goes Live Tonight!

More than 400 pots, including many new items, will be available online (worldwide) at a 15% discount starting tonight, March 23rd 2020 at 8pm EST (U.S.) at this site: https://akirasatake.com

The discount will be reflected in your total when you check out. This special sale ends March 26th at midnight.
Victoria
Admin

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:19 pm

iGo wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:54 pm
Akira Satake Ceramics Online 15 % off Sale Goes Live Tonight!

More than 400 pots, including many new items, will be available online (worldwide) at a 15% discount starting tonight, March 23rd 2020 at 8pm EST (U.S.) at this site: https://akirasatake.com

The discount will be reflected in your total when you check out. This special sale ends March 26th at midnight.
Oh oh, I’ve been thinking of getting few pieces, thanks for heads up.
pantry

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:47 pm

I had the same visceral reaction when viewing these cups in isolation (ha!) from this thread. However, I began to see their elegance after browsing the artist's website, and seeing his collection in full. I won't comment on the yunomi on fine Chinese tea, as my experience with Japanese glazed ceramics thus far tells me that they are best reserved for bancha. However, the chawans seem to be well made, with smooth and round interior regardless of the exterior shape. I will never pay that much for a designer chawan, but to each their own.

I'm with @Bok regarding art and fine tea appreciation. However, I have to remind myself often that people outside my industry will have a harder time appreciating algorithmic elegance. In the end, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
faj

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:16 pm

pantry wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:47 pm
I have to remind myself often that people outside my industry will have a harder time appreciating algorithmic elegance.
Is it that different from artistic elegance? To me, elegance means having everything essential, but nothing more. Creating a physical or conceptual object that is a whole onto itself, yet can be part of something bigger. Serving a purpose or an intent, yet having an intrinsic value through its structure and execution. Giving a sense of ease and control despite hidden underlying complexity. Convincing the beholder that the world is better with, than without. Provoking a feeling of amazement. Feeling complete, yet also being a starting point. I think the symmetry is striking.

And, let us be honest : being truly appreciated by a small minority is also a feature of most things considered elegant by said small minority...
Victoria
Admin

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:32 pm

faj wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:16 pm
Is it that different from artistic elegance? To me, elegance means having everything essential, but nothing more. Creating a physical or conceptual object that is a whole onto itself, yet can be part of something bigger. Serving a purpose or an intent, yet having an intrinsic value through its structure and execution. Giving a sense of ease and control despite hidden underlying complexity. Convincing the beholder that the world is better with, than without. Provoking a feeling of amazement. Feeling complete, yet also being a starting point. I think the symmetry is striking.
Beautifully expressed @faj. Thank you, made me reflect again on Akira’s pieces and to revisit his web site to admire new ones. Wow, the chawan are incredibly executed, so balanced, so full of sculptural movement. Geez. Ended up getting a guinomi, just needed that extra push from your thoughtful reflections 🍃.
faj

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:39 pm

Victoria wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:32 pm
[Ended up getting a guinomi, just needed that extra push from your thoughtful reflections 🍃.
In full disclosure, I receive no kickback from any vendor, and accept no responsibility for any purchasing decision I might have influenced. Well, except my own purchases, of course, for which I accept full responsibility, and which I try to make the best use of. ;)
rdl

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:50 pm

To quote a Taj Mahal lyric;
"If I could I surely would..."
I've been admiring the photography in his website as well.
That perfect balance between art and magic. Too far in any one direction is to capture just baked clay.
Hoping to see the purchases each of you have selected.
faj

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:28 pm

rdl wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:50 pm
Hoping to see the purchases each of you have selected.
I realize I might have given the impression I purchased something from that store, but that is not what I meant, I was mostly playing with words. Sorry for the confusion. My teapot purchases have reached what my kids would call TAD-level if they new the acronym, though my collection is still fairly small due to my affliction being still recent, and this is what I was implicitly and unapologetically referring to. For now, I have not taken interest in purchasing drinking vessels of this kind. Maybe that comes in later stages of the syndrome...
Victoria
Admin

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:39 pm

Got my Akira Satake guinomi today. Am in love with it; the textures and tones, movement, perfect size, and light weight too. Yeah. The mustard yellow spotting looks like moss growing on a rock. iPhone shots for now to share.

debunix

Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:06 pm

Lovely cup. I see hints of softness in the finish texture.
pantry

Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:25 pm

Victoria wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:39 pm
Got my Akira Satake guinomi today. Am in love with it; the textures and tones, movement, perfect size, and light weight too. Yeah. The mustard yellow spotting looks like moss growing on a rock. iPhone shots for now to share.

Beautiful!