Akira Satake

Korea, Europe, the Americas, and abroad
Victoria
Admin

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:33 am

I'd like to share Akira Satake's work with TeaForum. I've held and admired a yunomi of his for several years now, and every time it is a new experience, like a visual microcosm unfolding sculpturally each time. His pieces are wood fired and some are then treated with Hikidashi. After realizing many tea drinkers wanted smaller cups, but not necessarily guinome size, he is now making slightly smaller yunomi/slightly larger guinomi which is perfect size for 50-120ml cups. Akira is originally from Osaka, spent some time in NYC, and now for many years is living in Asheville, North Carolina. To see more of his work you can go to Akira Satake’s web site. He has mastered his evolving craft.

Maybe other members can share their pieces with us here.

My sculptural Hikidashi yunomi made by Akira below. The thicker walled yunomi absorbs heat very well and its shape funnels aromatics ideally. The chamfered chiseled base receives the hand gracefully, like an offering to rest into. It is a work of art with real presence and feels perfect to hold and drink from. I was looking for a cup with strong character to pair with roasted oolongs and this is it, in cold winter months warming the hands.

Hikidasi “500 year-old Japanese technique which involves firing to an extreme temperature. Each piece is removed from the kiln, glowing red hot, using long metal tongs. They are rapidly cooled and placed in water.” from Akira’s web site

Akira Satake Yunomi IMG_5854_sm.jpg
Akira Satake Yunomi IMG_5854_sm.jpg (423.48 KiB) Viewed 8784 times
Akira Satake Yunomi IMG_5855_sm.jpg
Akira Satake Yunomi IMG_5855_sm.jpg (403.7 KiB) Viewed 8784 times

I asked Akira about his glaze on my yunomi;
Victoria, This is the color of clay before fired. Your Yunomi has shino glaze and splash of oribe glaze (has very small amount of copper in it ) After pull out from kiln (2300F) put in saw dust to get reduction and go to water to cool down. It's called Hikidashi.
Thanks, Akira
An example of unfired yunomi, provided by Akira Satake:
IMG_3168.jpg
IMG_3168.jpg (784.62 KiB) Viewed 8784 times

To see Hikidashi in action from another craftsman;
Victoria
Admin

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:35 am

Akira Satake is having his once a year sale starting tonight Dec 2nd. Many more wood fired and Hikidashi pieces are available today that are not typically available, and now with free shipping.
https://akirasatake.com/home/
https://www.facebook.com/1050584246/pos ... 23?sfns=mo
rdl

Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:15 am

Victoria,
Your words highlight all the intriguing aspects of these beautiful cups. The power in clay and glaze, form and presence, to hold such a delicate liquid is astounding.
Is your piece the last image of the three?
Your affection for it is moving. Thank you for sharing your work of art and introducing Akira Satake.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:31 am

rdl wrote:
Victoria,
Your words highlight all the intriguing aspects of these beautiful cups. The power in clay and glaze, form and presence, to hold such a delicate liquid is astounding.
Your affection for it is moving. Thank you for sharing your work of art and introducing Akira Satake.
Thank you for your kind words @rdl. The yunomi I have is shown in the first two images of original post. One thing I forgot to mention is along with the copper slashes outside the yunomi, there are subtle glimmering silver areas inside the cup that are difficult to capture but wonderful to see. Here it is again, between two smaller porcelain cups, and below a few more images showing the sculpted base.

IMG_9360.jpg
IMG_9360.jpg (583.86 KiB) Viewed 8716 times
IMG_9361.jpg
IMG_9361.jpg (646.96 KiB) Viewed 8716 times
IMG_9362.jpg
IMG_9362.jpg (480.8 KiB) Viewed 8716 times
pedant
Admin

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:22 pm

it's a very nice batch this year, and they're going fast. many that i saw in stock last night are already gone...
rdl

Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:11 pm

Victoria wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:31 am
rdl wrote:
Victoria,
Thank you for your kind words rdl. The yunomi I have is shown in the first two images of original post. One thing I forgot to mention is along with the copper slashes outside the yunomi, there are subtle glimmering silver areas inside the cup that are difficult to capture but wonderful to see. Here it is again, between two smaller porcelain cups, and below a few more images showing the sculpted base.

It's clear now. Whose cup then is the Third?
The foot of your cup is stunning. Not in the classical beauty but in the harmony of such opposing forces that all seem to then embrace each other and resolve to function together. The whole cup does that, but to circle a circle is equally difficult. I especially like the Japanese take on that, because it seems to be done so nonchalantly.
Victoria
Admin

Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:19 pm

@@rdl the white yunomi is a photo Akira shared with me showing how it looks before firing.
rdl

Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:37 pm

After a busy week and fighting a cold, I offer that as my excuse for misunderstanding the details of your post. Thank you again for clarifying. What hasn't changed is that your Akira Satake piece is powerful and striking, aided by your description that gives life to fired clay.
debunix

Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:13 am

There are many gorgeous pieces at his shop. The one that struck me most strongly was this sculpture, which is safely priced above anythng I would pay for a ceramic object coming to my home occupied by often clumsy humans and 2 cats!

iGo

Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:57 am

O-cha powdered sencha in Akira Satake yunomi.
05068010-FFB0-4AD7-9844-CCDCEB765F72.jpeg
05068010-FFB0-4AD7-9844-CCDCEB765F72.jpeg (343.44 KiB) Viewed 8156 times
1361E150-CC2A-408C-89FF-B2CE848EF892.jpeg
1361E150-CC2A-408C-89FF-B2CE848EF892.jpeg (308.18 KiB) Viewed 8156 times
debunix

Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:18 pm

Wondering how the ridges on that cup feel in the hand: they look a little coarse, but are they actually soft and helpful in keeping the cup securely gripped?
iGo

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:50 pm

@debunix

It never occurred to me that this yunomi would be a problem.gripping. It’s large in diameter/circumference but easy for me to hold.

As for the surface irregularities, it’s part of Akira’s wabi-esque art, methinks.
debunix

Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:31 pm

Understood that it is an artistic choice, but in my favorite pieces, the piece manages to feel smoother or more comfortable in the hand than you might assume from the appearance
Victoria
Admin

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:22 am

debunix wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:31 pm
Understood that it is an artistic choice, but in my favorite pieces, the piece manages to feel smoother or more comfortable in the hand than you might assume from the appearance
Next time you visit @debunix remember to hold my Akira yunomi. It is perfect to hold, in every way. I see @iGo’s bottom of yunomi is also inclined to rest fingers on for a better hold and balance. The slightly sculptural undulating protruding parts are probably nice to rest a few fingers on as well.
aet
Vendor

Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:59 am

this is not referring to the particular artist , but just feel like to add personal opinion to this kind of pottery.
I'm going to be honest, I do not understand it. I mean this sort of art. But even if I skip that factor, I don't see it practical in matter of drinking tea and that's because the lips are touching the "rough" clay. ( that might be personal also because I prefer porcelain smooth surface without additional taste factor of any clay )
As I said, not referring to this artist but I've tried to drink tea from those sort of cups in China, and found it bit uncomfortable. Some pieces are also quite expensive and people mostly buying , as I observed , because of artist or rare masterpiece , maybe because wood fired etc. Just anything else rather than actual use convenience.
I'd love to try offer that type of pottery to our clients as well, but I don't see anybody interested unless well marketed / advertised master.
Adding the factor that I don't understand this art ( I can't distinguish what is masterpiece beautiful work from messed up piece which came out wrong during the firing...which counts as authentic and unique masterpiece probably as well )
I understand if taking pictures under proper lights and from certain angles with black background , it will make sort of "sculpture" impression ...gives the feel of art , but when you put it on the table at home with some tea in it ..then look at it ....it's just a "piece of rock" with hole in it ...please no offense...it is solely my opinion.
As, I said, I do not understand this type of art and will be grateful for any guidance. I want to learn.

cheers!