WTB Setsudo flat teapot (hiragata kyusu)

Buy and sell tea, teaware, and accessories
teatray

Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:36 pm

Long shot, but maybe worth a try.

Looking for a Setsudo teapot that is flat (吉川雪堂 平形急須). Like in the image (via chaki chaki, where it's out of stock), but may be different shape/finish/firing method/volume. (I'm in EU/Bulgaria.)

I've asked around & was told that they're not available anymore. If you have one & can part with it, please post/DM some pics & asking price (if in good condition, I suggest at least original price paid, adjusted for inflation, incl. all incurred shipping/other costs). Will also consider usable pots with defects/chips, etc.
Attachments
chaki1.jpg
chaki1.jpg (35.89 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
pedant
Admin

Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:19 am

Bummer. Which shops have you asked? Many have old stock. Surprised nothing can be found :(
teatray

Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:43 pm

Just Artistic Nippon & Chaki Chaki actually, but one of them contacted Setsudo & learned that there are no flats available (& that he was in hospital for a month but plans to resume working soon; that was earlier this year, hope he's all right by now! [and making flats :D]).

I think it's a rare shape of his (perhaps he wasn't too happy how it turned out?). I'll ask more places. If you know ones that are particularly likely to have old stock, I'd be grateful for suggestions!
umami

Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:48 am

Could be worth asking Isobe about it, since she has a fairly large store herself and is located in this mall with other pottery shops.
teatray

Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:16 am

umami wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:48 am
Could be worth asking Isobe about it, since she has a fairly large store herself and is located in this mall with other pottery shops.
Thanks. That's not something connected to Teriyuki Isobe, as far as I understand, but either https://tokoname-isobe.com/ or https://isobe-shoten.com/ (or are they the same)?

Got some replies from the shops I contacted already yesterday and the news is not good re Setsudo's health :/
umami

Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:23 am

Yes, indeed it is one of those two websites and they are ran by the same person. She is easy to reach via instagram as well. Sad to hear that about Setsudo himself, but hopefully he will get better soon.