Drippy spouts?

Bok
Vendor

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:19 pm

rdl wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:12 pm
"...but he does seem to have some designs that clearly don't work as well as others."
Without seeing how the spout functions, I was just trying to push the discussion away from works well and not well. I respect your personal preferences, and understand some pots have flaws. I am reminded of my visit to a kiln in Hagi, the artist brewing and serving me tea during the visit. His spout leaked, a bit to my amazement. But not only did I come to reserve judgement, I bought a smaller version of the same pot and smile as much as I can when it dribbles, reminded of what I learned that day.
Reminds me of my pottery teacher, who now switched to make annoyingly small pot openings, very difficult to load and unload the leaves. According to him that is intended to lead to a focused approach and forcing one self to calm down in the face of obstacles.

I do not agree. I'd rather enjoy my tea without being purposely annoyed by what I consider a not functional item. The simple act of preparing tea can be meditative enough and prefer to focus on that.
rdl

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:32 pm

It takes a lifetime of wisdom to understand one's position on things, and many lifetimes to break those understandings.
I am hoping sooner than later AozoraE can enjoy the pot without frustration.
AozoraE

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:35 pm

rdl wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:12 pm
"...but he does seem to have some designs that clearly don't work as well as others."
Without seeing how the spout functions, I was just trying to push the discussion away from works well and not well. I respect your personal preferences, and understand some pots have flaws. I am reminded of my visit to a kiln in Hagi, the artist brewing and serving me tea during the visit. His spout leaked, a bit to my amazement. But not only did I come to reserve judgement, I bought a smaller version of the same pot and smile as much as I can when it dribbles, reminded of what I learned that day.
Bok wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:19 pm

Reminds me of my pottery teacher, who now switched to make annoyingly small pot openings, very difficult to load and unload the leaves. According to him that is intended to lead to a focused approach and forcing one self to calm down in the face of obstacles.

I do not agree. I'd rather enjoy my tea without being purposely annoyed by what I consider a not functional item. The simple act of preparing tea can be meditative enough and prefer to focus on that.
Whenever I hear people try to push these kind of philosophy's it always makes me wonder if it's something people say to only foreigners. Not that I'm saying your teacher was doing that Bok, but it did make me chuckle imagining your teacher explaining that to you. Maybe he was just trying to help you understand a bit of the wisdom of the orient through the philosophy behind tiny teapot openings :mrgreen:
AozoraE

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:51 pm

Here's a vid of the pour to give you an idea of how it works.

Bok
Vendor

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:53 pm

AozoraE wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:35 pm
Whenever I hear people try to push these kind of philosophy's it always makes me wonder if it's something people say to only foreigners. Not that I'm saying your teacher was doing that Bok, but it did make me chuckle imagining your teacher explaining that to you. Maybe he was just trying to help you understand a bit of the wisdom of the orient through the philosophy behind tiny teapot openings :mrgreen:
I was politely nodding, yet in my head I called bullshit! I am pragmatic in my approach to tea, not into the whole Zen thing and over thinking things, blaming it onto our own perceived shortcomings in understanding. A teapot is a tool, as such it has a narrowly specified function. Make tea.

Tea is just tea. A good pot is a good pot. A bad pot is a bad pot.
Victoria
Admin

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 pm

Yes, I also feel as @rdl that you could reach out to Toru at Artistic Nippon. Clearly this 70 year old craftsman is very experienced making kyusu and respects tea. I do also though agree with @Bok regarding spout shape with kyusu; proportionally they look and function better when the base of the spout, attached to the pot, is larger than the end where one pours. Something of a sack at the base looks better on kyusu, and even better a slight twist or slant at the end of the spout adds to an elegant pour.
AozoraE

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:25 pm

Victoria wrote:
"I did reach out to Toru about it, and he basically told me that he can't guarantee that every pot that receive doesn't drip and that he really isn't in a position to ask a potter to "switch out" a pot that drips with a pot that doesn't . He also sent me two videos of pots by Jinpachi and- just like mine; dribbled down the front of the pot, while the other poured quite well and didn't seem to have any dribbling problems."
^That's really the extant of it really. He did also say in his 18 years operating his shop that he's never had a teapot returned due to its pour... a bit of interesting trivia maybe/ proof that I'm too obsessed over this "issue" :lol:
Victoria
Admin

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:29 pm

AozoraE wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:25 pm
Victoria wrote:
"I did reach out to Toru about it, and he basically told me that he can't guarantee that every pot that receive doesn't drip and that he really isn't in a position to ask a potter to "switch out" a pot that drips with a pot that doesn't . He also sent me two videos of pots by Jinpachi and- just like mine; dribbled down the front of the pot, while the other poured quite well and didn't seem to have any dribbling problems."
^That's really the extant of it really. He did also say in his 18 years operating his shop that he's never had a teapot returned due to its pour... a bit of interesting trivia maybe/ proof that I'm too obsessed over this "issue" :lol:
Well if it really bothers you, I’d return it. Maybe switch out to a non-dribble one that Toru has pre-tested for you. Otherwise, just live with a little drip and master your pour angle and speed.
AozoraE

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:34 pm

Victoria wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:29 pm
I discussed that with him a little bit. He said that since its used he would have to basically throw it away. Whether that means he would have been willing to do a return I don't know, but it sounded like its something he doesn't do with already used items. There was a teapot by jinpachi that didn't leak but it was almost twice the price of the one I have now, so. I think I just may accept it the way it is.
rdl

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:44 pm

I wasn't going the Zen way of things or anything like that. It drips a bit, you are keeping it, so the two of you have to get along.
Relationships are never easy.
Victoria
Admin

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:55 pm

Haha, throw away a kyusu because it’s been used. I’m sure he could offer it for a discounted price. I got an antique clay kettle that has an invisible crack at the base so it leaks, trouble is I simmered it before checking it out, so no way to know if shipping or I caused the crack. Now, whenever I get a new or antique pot I load it up with water for 24hrs to make sure it isn’t leaking. I also test it’s pour just with water, to check it out. I’ve never returned a pot though, just chalk it up to life’s twist and turns. I have a couple of pots that I really like but that also drip slightly, so I just try and work with those flaws, by changing how I pour.
AozoraE

Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:11 am

^^Thanks for the advice everyone. The thread ended up being a bit whiner sounding then I anticipated, but I appreciate all of the advice so far.
I'm sure I'll be able to figure out a way to get along with this guy ;p
Last edited by AozoraE on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tor

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:25 am

Usually with Japanese tea, we pour all tea out until the very last drop. Some people even shake the teapot up and down to make sure that there’s nothing left. Would this minimize the dripping?

Maybe the potter wanted to remind you that.
pizzapotamus

Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:29 am

Ha, just from the opening post I was wondering if it was Jinpachi, guess why.... Anyways while it was mildly disappointing because Toru talks up the poor and had some yt vids of old ones in the end it doesn't much bother me as for mine it only drips if I cut it off mid-pour, something I'm not inclined to do in actual use. Beyond that it seems to function well and I think the chubby spouts can be cute.
Tor

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:13 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:15 pm

What I really do dislike in this case is the almost horizontal spout/s, which really is a very basic issue for performance.
With more angled spout like in most pots, when you tilt it to the point that the spout point down vertically the base of the pot will cross over the vertical line. In that case the wet leaves can easily fall instead of sticking nicely to the base. Some people don’t like that as it can make the next infusion more bitter.

I can imagine the almost horizontal spout could make the “shaking” easier when you want to get the very last drop.

I’m not saying that this’s the reason the potter made the pot the way it is. Just an observation.