Drippy spouts?

.m.

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:29 pm

Tor wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:13 pm
Bok wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:15 pm

What I really do dislike in this case is the almost horizontal spout/s, which really is a very basic issue for performance.
With more angled spout like in most pots, when you tilt it to the point that the spout point down vertically the base of the pot will cross over the vertical line. In that case the wet leaves can easily fall instead of sticking nicely to the base. Some people don’t like that as it can make the next infusion more bitter.

I can imagine the almost horizontal spout could make the “shaking” easier when you want to get the very last drop.

I’m not saying that this’s the reason the potter made the pot the way it is. Just an observation.
+1
Well said. Functionality follows the use. Whether the pot gets filled up all the way to the rim. Whether the infusion is poured into several cups (like in chinese gong-fu style brewing), or poured into a single cup in which case there is no need to cut the pour midway.
Baisao

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:21 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:15 pm
What I really do dislike in this case is the almost horizontal spout/s, which really is a very basic issue for performance.
I think this is an artistic rather than practical decision. Some Japanese teapot makers are fond of spouts that intentionally resemble a chode. I suppose it is meant to be quaint or cheeky, but in the end, they are always leaky!
Bok
Vendor

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:17 pm

Baisao wrote:
I suppose it is meant to be quaint or cheeky, but in the end, they are always leaky!
Nice rhyme! :)
AozoraE

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:39 pm

Baisao wrote:

I think this is an artistic rather than practical decision. Some Japanese teapot makers are fond of spouts that intentionally resemble a chode.
Uh, can we get a citation for this :lol: I've never heard anything like this in anything related to ceramics in English or Japanese.
AozoraE

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:42 pm

pizzapotamus wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:29 am
Ha, just from the opening post I was wondering if it was Jinpachi, guess why.... Anyways while it was mildly disappointing because Toru talks up the poor and had some yt vids of old ones in the end it doesn't much bother me as for mine it only drips if I cut it off mid-pour, something I'm not inclined to do in actual use. Beyond that it seems to function well and I think the chubby spouts can be cute.
Mind posting yours? What made you decide to keep it? The big thing for me is being able to make tea for other people(which is probably why I've loved drinking tea as a kid and now as an adult) and with the pot I have now its basically become a one person pot. I actually didn't really notice a huge issue with dripping until I made tea for a friend and noticed that I was spilling tea on the table while moving between cups.
AozoraE

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:47 pm

Tor wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:13 pm

With more angled spout like in most pots, when you tilt it to the point that the spout point down vertically the base of the pot will cross over the vertical line. In that case the wet leaves can easily fall instead of sticking nicely to the base. Some people don’t like that as it can make the next infusion more bitter.

I can imagine the almost horizontal spout could make the “shaking” easier when you want to get the very last drop.

I’m not saying that this’s the reason the potter made the pot the way it is. Just an observation.
Interesting comment. I did notice its easier to get every drop from out of this pot compared to many of the other ones I have. Hard to say though that this was intentional on his part. I'm starting to think it's really an aesthetic thing in the way he designs his shorter, chubbier styled spouts.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:59 pm

AozoraE wrote:
The big thing for me is being able to make tea for other people(which is probably why I've loved drinking tea as a kid and now as an adult) and with the pot I have now its basically become a one person pot.
Go Taiwanese my friend! Use a pitcher to decant and the serve the cups. That way each cups flavour is also the exact same.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:05 pm

AozoraE wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:39 pm
Uh, can we get a citation for this :lol: I've never heard anything like this in anything related to ceramics in English or Japanese.
Human history is full of men creating phallus-like objects (Gherkin tower in London remind you of anything? :mrgreen: )
Mr Freud has a whole lot to say about it as well.

Teapots history is full of spouts shaped it that way, even including the full package if you get my drift... Personally I dislike those kind of pots.
Taiwanese potters even have a specific term for it. Someone just recently posted an Yixing here with a very obvious reference.

Humans are sexual beings and men in particular seem to have a hard time restraining themselves from scribbling little phalli onto toilet doors :roll:
Tor

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:16 pm

Teapots by Jozan III, grandfather and grandmaster of Yamada Sou, whom many people here so much love. :mrgreen:

5FA7E483-85B6-4F83-A9C4-C0A6C2B2298A.jpeg
5FA7E483-85B6-4F83-A9C4-C0A6C2B2298A.jpeg (41.09 KiB) Viewed 9369 times
Victoria
Admin

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:26 am

Tor wrote:
Teapots by Jozan III, grandfather and grandmaster of Yamada Sou, whom many people here so much love. :mrgreen:
Yes, those two Jozan III have been a favorite of mine for some time now. I realize they are pretty anatomical, and also in every way so well proportioned as kyusu. My Emu has similar proportions, without such overt anatomical reference. Classical form and proportion. One day, I would like to have a kyusu similar to those two Jozan III, the spouts are perfect, anatomy and all.

Emu spout never drips, none of my Yamada do. Notice base of spout, attached to body, is larger than the slightly twisted slanted end where one pours.
Side view of Emu kyusu. Photo by Asako Isobe;

2B5A1409-1A75-429A-8B69-B9451ADC4406.jpeg
2B5A1409-1A75-429A-8B69-B9451ADC4406.jpeg (72.48 KiB) Viewed 9355 times
Baisao

Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:15 am

Tor wrote:

5FA7E483-85B6-4F83-A9C4-C0A6C2B2298A.jpeg
Gentile, I see!
pizzapotamus

Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:42 am

AozoraE wrote:
pizzapotamus wrote:
Ha, just from the opening post I was wondering if it was Jinpachi, guess why.... Anyways while it was mildly disappointing because Toru talks up the poor and had some yt vids of old ones in the end it doesn't much bother me as for mine it only drips if I cut it off mid-pour, something I'm not inclined to do in actual use. Beyond that it seems to function well and I think the chubby spouts can be cute.
Mind posting yours? What made you decide to keep it? The big thing for me is being able to make tea for other people(which is probably why I've loved drinking tea as a kid and now as an adult) and with the pot I have now its basically become a one person pot. I actually didn't really notice a huge issue with dripping until I made tea for a friend and noticed that I was spilling tea on the table while moving between cups.
jinpachi.jpg
jinpachi.jpg (149.9 KiB) Viewed 9304 times
Maybe the spout is a touch steeper than yours? I wouldn't have been calling mine horizontal but from the shop photos I'd have thought they were about the same. Also with regards to the width of the spout at the tip vs the base while the exterior doesn't dimension doesn't change as much as some pots there is still a decent difference in the interior diameter from base to tip. I think it's more the lack of a lip that's doing us in.

As I said I don't generally have any need to stop the pour midstream. If I'm brewing for other people I'd tend to pour into a pitcher rather than attempt to distribute it between cups straight from the pot. So taking that into consideration it works "well enough", it's not going to be the pot I grab on may out the door if I ever need to evacuate the house but it just wasn't worth the bother to raise an issue, particularly as Toru has been good to me, have to save the complaints for things that really bother me.
debunix

Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:58 pm

Maybe this is a good time to point out that not all drips are so bad. I often rush my pour and have a little dribble from the lid of the pot as well as pour from the spout. I realize this is a sign to slow down and quite literally go with the flow.....except that it is a litle bit of dribble from the lid towards the spout that results in the mysteriously lovely plummy scent when I sniff my Petr Novak treebark pot. I deliberately spill a little most sessions to enjoy that.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:57 pm

I think a bit of dribbling can always be expected, especially if one can not always pay perfect attention to handling the pot.
Some pots though do dribble in a weird and annoying way, in weird angles splashing water everywhere. Those are the real bad pots.
AozoraE

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:55 pm

pizzapotamus wrote:
Maybe the spout is a touch steeper than yours? I wouldn't have been calling mine horizontal but from the shop photos I'd have thought they were about the same. Also with regards to the width of the spout at the tip vs the base while the exterior doesn't dimension doesn't change as much as some pots there is still a decent difference in the interior diameter from base to tip. I think it's more the lack of a lip that's doing us in.
Mine isn't completely horizontal... but its pretty close xD Your's is much steeper than mine.
But, yeah, I can understand that. I hope at least you can get some use out of it though. Glaze is really interesting on the one you have, almost reminds me of some of his celadon teapots he's famous for.

Bok wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:59 pm
Go Taiwanese my friend! Use a pitcher to decant and the serve the cups. That way each cups flavour is also the exact same.
It's funny I have no problem doing this when I drink oolongs or something but I've been making sencha for so long just from a teapot it feels almost "wrong" to me :lol: I think I'll give it a try though. I've been using a chahai as a yuzamashi for a long time now anyway, may as well now use it for its intended purpose