If you don’t have teaware…

Bok
Vendor

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:54 am

…you can just help yourself with what is available:
In this case a milk pitcher, put a spoon or stick or similar on top to prevent the leaves from overflowing into the cup and slowly poor when you think the tea is ready. One can gong fu this way with no loss in taste!
Attachments
IMG_6116.jpg
IMG_6116.jpg (186.61 KiB) Viewed 7931 times
Bok
Vendor

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:57 am

The inspiration for this came from the more fancy slow-down series from Peter Kuo:
https://daqian.myshopify.com/collection ... own-series

(Friend of mine and talented potter from Yingge in Taiwan)
lac63

Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:09 am

Bok wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:57 am
The inspiration for this came from the more fancy slow-down series from Peter Kuo:
https://daqian.myshopify.com/collection ... own-series

(Friend of mine and talented potter from Yingge in Taiwan)
thanks for sharing,
Very ingenious.
I like the pieces
of your friend, pity
they are sold out
gatmcm

Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:37 am

Lately I've been granpastyling more and more when not at home, I've used similar setups for gong fu outside or in non tea enthusiast's houses but not having much success due to the water, the stronger brew grandpa provides seems to be more forgiving of water quality.
Maybe I should just edc a cake, bottled water and a gaiwan :lol:
tealifehk
Vendor

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:22 am

gatmcm wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:37 am
Lately I've been granpastyling more and more when not at home, I've used similar setups for gong fu outside or in non tea enthusiast's houses but not having much success due to the water, the stronger brew grandpa provides seems to be more forgiving of water quality.
Maybe I should just edc a cake, bottled water and a gaiwan :lol:
I always take a portable teapot in a padded case and this time I took a set of three Chaozhou cups. Carry a little pu in a pouch and buy water and you're set!
gatmcm

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:35 am

tealifehk wrote:

I always take a portable teapot in a padded case and this time I took a set of three Chaozhou cups. Carry a little pu in a pouch and buy water and you're set!
How was your trip? From the news Barcelona looked hectic with all the separatist protests
tealifehk
Vendor

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:16 am

I only really had one concerning moment; right after independence was declared, the streets started filling up with people with Catalan flags. I was wondering how I'd get past them as they were blocking access to the stairs down to the metro. I had just gotten a haircut and the barber had told me didn't know what would happen and he wasn't sure if he'd have to close early or could stay open until 8. Also wow that guy had some skills with the clippers. The haircut was perfect and he did it so effortlessly for all of 10 Euros. :o

I was on the metro right before that and locked eyes with an interesting looking woman in her 20s with a Catalan flag draped over her shoulders. We just held long eye contact with each other as I was walking toward her. She was on the train and I was walking toward the exit. I really should've hopped on the train and talked to her! The unwavering eye contact was quite unnerving!

The weekend after independence was declared, we noticed lots of people with Spanish flags on the street. I hope it all works out as I absolutely loved my time there. Lovely people, an interesting culture and language and I felt so comfortable there, and got around quite well in Spanish. I learned a few new words there and was corrected by helpful people who were totally chuffed that they were talking to a British Indian guy from HK that learned Spanish in NYC. lol. I'd seriously consider living in Barcelona at some point, but the crappy postal service and duty on imports are real downsides. HK has super cheap postage and I can import almost anything tax-free.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:49 pm

tealifehk wrote:
Mostly I just have one pot with me that I do not care too much about, a little workhorse, cups can be omitted as you’ll always find those.
tealifehk
Vendor

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:37 am

Bok wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:49 pm
tealifehk wrote:
Mostly I just have one pot with me that I do not care too much about, a little workhorse, cups can be omitted as you’ll always find those.
Cheap porcelain cups are 1 RMB a piece on the Mainland. If I break them I'm out a whole 50 cents US. :D
Bok
Vendor

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:57 am

tealifehk wrote:
Cheap porcelain cups are 1 RMB a piece on the Mainland. If I break them I'm out a whole 50 cents US. :D
True that.
Might not be as cheap for someone outside of Asia to acquire ;)
tealifehk
Vendor

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:01 am

Bok wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:57 am
tealifehk wrote:
True that.
Might not be as cheap for someone outside of Asia to acquire ;)
This is true.
plod

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:58 am

I've had to get creative on several occasions these last months, when grandpa-ing was not ideal or even possible, and have to say it's been good for my appreciation of different teas.

Did the milk pitcher and a spoon as well! Worked very well. Also used a twig instead of a spoon once, actually looked kind of nice.

In one hotel, there was a kettle and two almost useless coffee cups. Capacity of about 140 ml to the rim, tall and very narrow. Brewed in one, used a fork as a filter, and poured to the other. Tasted as good as with a gaiwan, though aesthetically it was an abomination.

Also travelled with just a (large) brew basket and some tea, managed to get several steeps of actually decent tea in the air, on a train, waiting in a station in the wee hours and at a conference full of raging, coffee drinking academics. I think economics as a subject would be in a better place if more of us switched to beverages rich in theanine. Or, you know, just did less of everything else.
Bok
Vendor

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:13 am

plod wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:58 am
I've had to get creative on several occasions these last months, when grandpa-ing was not ideal or even possible, and have to say it's been good for my appreciation of different teas.
Absolutely! Also puts our tea geekery in perspective. Although all those nice teawares we own make the whole experience better and sometimes more practical, in the end much less is really necessary if you just wanted to make a good cup.

What is essential though are some good leaves!
Anything that keeps me from being tempted to try the provided teabags out of desperation!