Glass ware - Show off

Fuut
Vendor

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:00 am

Show it all.

I only recently acquired (in the last year), my first real glass piece and now i like it more and more every time i pass it in the house.

It came with a paper box, titled unsurprisingly Nami; and was made by Hisatoshi Iwata.
Roughly 20x20cm
a.png
b.png
Last edited by Fuut on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
lac63

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:02 pm

Fuut wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:00 am
Show it all.

I only recently acquired (in the last year), my first real glass piece and now i like it more and more every time i pass it in the house.

It came with a paper box, titled unsurprisingly Nami; and was made by Hisatoshi Iwata.
Roughly 25x25cm

a.png

b.png
it reminds me of a planet :roll:
Bok
Vendor

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:39 am

This section seems a bit deserted, so I will post my favorite glass piece: A crackled glass Chahai, or pitcher. Seems to be an emerging trend in China and Taiwan to use all sorts of glass teaware. Has not really caught on in the West yet, but in Asia it is everywhere in the most fancy and tasteful tea settings.

I believe the trend started in Japan, where the best wares come from, got picked up by the Taiwanese and made its way to the mainland.

Now to my piece, which is a Chinese ware - but I think it is a copy of a famous Japanese artisan.
What makes it my favorite and now only used pitcher is that I can see the true tea colour better than with any other material. Due to the crackling, the reflections as a whole show a better idea of the colour, without being tainted by the material itself.

Any porcelain still has some blueish, greenish or yellowish tint. All other materials are darker and make it impossible to appreciate the real tones.

What I also like, that it matches old and new teaware without creating disharmony in the setting. Unless you brew Chaozhou style without pitcher, there are simply no antique tea pitchers around as they were not used as such.

A good alternative are other antique jugs or pitchers, but so far I have only found European versions.
Attachments
IMG_6514.jpg
IMG_6514.jpg (159.86 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
IMG_6513.jpg
IMG_6513.jpg (149.53 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
IMG_6512.jpg
IMG_6512.jpg (143.11 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
plod

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:43 am

That is really beautiful. Fascinating how the narrow foot and longer, slimmer shape makes it completely different from and much more elegant than, for example, my own chubby dimpled cha hai (not worth a picture). The movements due to the uneven crackling really enhance the effect.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:23 am

plod wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:43 am
That is really beautiful. Fascinating how the narrow foot and longer, slimmer shape makes it completely different from and much more elegant than, for example, my own chubby dimpled cha hai (not worth a picture). The movements due to the uneven crackling really enhance the effect.
Cheers! And the best part – very cheap! Not sure about recent exchange rates but around 10€ or less… if you can buy on the Chinese Taobao :mrgreen: