The Porcelain Thread

jwicked

Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:34 pm

@wave_code, do you have any recommendations on where to look for vintage cups. I've checked some online shops and seems like a majority are sold out. Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.
Baisao

Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:21 am

jwicked wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:34 pm
wave_code, do you have any recommendations on where to look for vintage cups. I've checked some online shops and seems like a majority are sold out. Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.
Item 11 here is a start:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2599
wave_code

Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:23 am

good tip @Baisao
@jwicked I guess just keep an eye out - I feel like when vendors like Chanting Pines or Chawang get a batch in and put it up they tend to go quite fast. I've gotten stuff from all over, different countries, vendors, auctions... it take a long while but you start to figure out what type of things show up where. I had kinda toyed on and off and still am actually with the idea of trying to get stuff in larger quantity and make it available. But rising shipping rates, VAT, and Germany's extra anti-dumping tariff on ceramics hasn't made the whole thing add up in such an appealing way so far.
jwicked

Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:29 pm

wave_code wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:23 am
good tip Baisao
jwicked I guess just keep an eye out - I feel like when vendors like Chanting Pines or Chawang get a batch in and put it up they tend to go quite fast. I've gotten stuff from all over, different countries, vendors, auctions... it take a long while but you start to figure out what type of things show up where. I had kinda toyed on and off and still am actually with the idea of trying to get stuff in larger quantity and make it available. But rising shipping rates, VAT, and Germany's extra anti-dumping tariff on ceramics hasn't made the whole thing add up in such an appealing way so far.
Thanks @Baisao and @wave_code. I'll just keep an eye out on the shops and the forum here. I did pm the poster about the item sent by Baisao. Thanks again for the advice!
LeoFox

Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:17 pm

I got this blue line lqer cup recently for yancha - but after some testing- I feel it is more suitable for green tea- due to -
Rapid temp drop of tea
Shape that spreads instead of focus tea in mouth-
Seems to soften texture
Flavor and aroma seem mostly preserved

Just my personal thoughts
Attachments
20230717_145400.jpg
20230717_145400.jpg (127.45 KiB) Viewed 4538 times
Baiyun

Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:48 am

@LeoFox that's a nice looking cup. I am currently sourcing and experimenting a bit with porcelain cups to retire my double walled glass cups for something less clinical, and that is a shape I took a liking to.

However, my impression is that greener teas (surely green teas but also greener oolongs) deteriorate too quickly in wider cups where the oxidation surface area is proportionally larger, i.e., the liquor yellows quickly and taste deteriorates, so I would still think this cup is better suited to more oxidised and roasted teas in my book. But I also like rapid temperature drop as a cup feature for all teas in general as I avoid hot liquid, so that is not a negative for me.

What seems to work for me for greener teas is a relatively narrow almost fragrance cup shape, and then ideally wider on teas that don't deteriorate as quickly from air exposure to get more sense immersion when drinking, and cool the liquor more rapidly.
LeoFox

Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:08 am

Baiyun wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:48 am
LeoFox that's a nice looking cup. I am currently sourcing and experimenting a bit with porcelain cups to retire my double walled glass cups for something less clinical, and that is a shape I took a liking to.

However, my impression is that greener teas (surely green teas but also greener oolongs) deteriorate too quickly in wider cups where the oxidation surface area is proportionally larger, i.e., the liquor yellows quickly and taste deteriorates, so I would still think this cup is better suited to more oxidised and roasted teas in my book. But I also like rapid temperature drop as a cup feature for all teas in general as I avoid hot liquid, so that is not a negative for me.

What seems to work for me for greener teas is a relatively narrow almost fragrance cup shape, and then ideally wider on teas that don't deteriorate as quickly from air exposure to get more sense immersion when drinking, and cool the liquor more rapidly.
Thanks for your insights. For me, texture is critical for yancha. I don't want that to be softened- so this cup is not suitable in that way.

I did get a longer cup for green tea before- but I didn't like it for various reasons- for Chinese greens. I use it now only for Japanese greens
Baiyun

Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:06 pm

What do you think causes these effects on texture between porcelain cups? The way the liquor flows into the mouth based on the slope of the cup and flare of the lip, or anything else?

I am just at the beginning of cup exploration and find it difficult to find cups I like to begin with. Vintage examples I like are usually sold and new handmade cups from good material are often way too large, or I don't like the decorations, often both.
LeoFox

Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:55 pm

Baiyun wrote:
What do you think causes these effects on texture between porcelain cups? The way the liquor flows into the mouth based on the slope of the cup and flare of the lip, or anything else?

I am just at the beginning of cup exploration and find it difficult to find cups I like to begin with. Vintage examples I like are usually sold and new handmade cups from good material are often way too large, or I don't like the decorations, often both.
What's the root cause? I have no idea.

One thing I know for sure - cost doesn't scale with what works for tea for me. My most expensive cup looks nice, but seems to be quite muting - except for some teas. Why? I have no idea.
DailyTX

Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:59 pm

Baiyun wrote:

@Baiyun, I wonder if you have looked into vintage Japanese porcelain cups? Typically, the Chinese porcelain collectors don't go after them, and Japanese porcelains seem easier to find in comparison to Chinese counterpart at a reasonable price.
Last edited by DailyTX on Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DailyTX

Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:15 pm

Here is a Japanese porcelain cup. The base has an Eiraku (永樂) mark. Not sure how old this cup is. Anyone has any idea on age? ;)
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_4321.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4321.jpg (223.79 KiB) Viewed 4420 times
thumbnail_IMG_4322.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4322.jpg (162.52 KiB) Viewed 4420 times
Baiyun

Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:25 am

DailyTX wrote:
Baiyun, I wonder if you have looked into vintage Japanese porcelain cups? Typically, the Chinese porcelain collectors don't go after them, and Japanese porcelains seem easier to find in comparison to Chinese counterpart at a reasonable price.
I have not. Do they make low volume thin walled cups also, or are these harder to find among the Japanese wares? Where do you usually source these?
LeoFox

Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:41 am

Seems to work well with some green
Attachments
20230719_095851.jpg
20230719_095851.jpg (115.64 KiB) Viewed 4343 times
20230719_100729.jpg
20230719_100729.jpg (95.58 KiB) Viewed 4343 times
20230719_095826.jpg
20230719_095826.jpg (90.78 KiB) Viewed 4343 times
LeoFox

Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:59 pm

Baiyun wrote:
DailyTX wrote:
Baiyun, I wonder if you have looked into vintage Japanese porcelain cups? Typically, the Chinese porcelain collectors don't go after them, and Japanese porcelains seem easier to find in comparison to Chinese counterpart at a reasonable price.
I have not. Do they make low volume thin walled cups also, or are these harder to find among the Japanese wares? Where do you usually source these?
Probably the best deals can be had on auction sites. I picked up one earlier for less than 10$ that's likely to be pre 1800s.

If you want something thin and refined- you may consider one of these from TDJ:

https://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php ... =2_129_206
DailyTX

Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:46 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:59 pm
Baiyun wrote:
DailyTX wrote:
Probably the best deals can be had on auction sites. I picked up one earlier for less than 10$ that's likely to be pre 1800s.

If you want something thin and refined- you may consider one of these from TDJ:

https://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php ... =2_129_206
+1 on auction sites. @Baiyun you can find some thin Japanese antique/vintage porcelains but most of them I would be concerned on lead issue. A lot of them are painted on top of the glaze. Another type of porcelain I like is rice grain, it’s relatively safe, affordable, and common enough.