The Porcelain Thread

Mark-S
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Location: Germany

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:03 pm

@Bok

Hopefully, it's not from 1940. :lol: I bought it because I thought it could be from the 19th century. I will ask in the forum when it arrives.
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 3552
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:05 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:03 pm
Bok

Hopefully, it's not from 1940. :lol: I bought it because I thought it could be from the 19th century. I will ask in the forum when it arrives.
That I would almost definitely exclude, the blue tone doesn’t look right and way to clean. The way the foot rim is dirty makes me think of fakes... that’s how they often make them look old.
Mark-S
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Location: Germany

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:15 pm

@Bok

The blue tone does indeed look a bit different, but what really made me suspicious is the foot rim and the lack of flaws. Good chance that you are right, but it could also be a bad photo... we'll see.
Chadrinkincat
Posts: 691
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:58 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:25 pm
Hmm wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:51 pm
This pattern is similar to 18th-19th century Chinese stuff.
Yeah, it looks similar to this one I posted some weeks ago: viewtopic.php?p=22210#p22210

The seller claimed that the new plate was made after 1940 and the base looks too clean to me, but maybe it's just the photo. I hope that this is no copy. The design is nice. :)
This new one looks similar to stuff on eBay from Chinese sellers.
Chadrinkincat
Posts: 691
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:59 pm

@sporad
Nice little Japanese pot.
Mark-S
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Location: Germany

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:09 pm

@Chadrinkincat

Mh... okay, if it's really modern I will probably sell it again.
Mark-S
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Location: Germany

Fri May 01, 2020 12:53 pm

I got a new answer to the Japanese plate:

"I think this is Seto ware, I see them with the single blue ring or none on the outside foot, I would date this as first quarter 20th century."
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 3552
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Fri May 01, 2020 7:26 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:53 pm
I got a new answer to the Japanese plate:

"I think this is Seto ware, I see them with the single blue ring or none on the outside foot, I would date this as first quarter 20th century."
Then the sellers claim is probably accurate 1940s :)
Mark-S
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Location: Germany

Fri May 01, 2020 8:12 pm

@Bok

Sorry, I meant this plate: viewtopic.php?p=23221#p23221
nwtm_tea
New user
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 12:08 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Wed May 27, 2020 10:16 am

Is there any way to purchase porcelain gaiwans direct from studios in Jingdezhen? I know there's precedent for this in clay (I'm thinking about Yinchen Studio and Yanni gallery for zisha and Boerna's AliExpress shop for Nixing).

I'm looking for a very plain gaiwan that's higher-end in terms of craftsmanship, but most gaiwans I've found are coming from tea sellers who only carry a few nicer gaiwans, and thus have a limited selection. The best source I've found so far is Mud and Leaves, but they don't have quite what I'm looking for (I like the shape of some and the size of other, but they don't match up). They mention that studio name QingKe Xuan, but I wasn't able to find their stuff anywhere else by googling.

Any advice would be appreciated!
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 3552
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Wed May 27, 2020 9:09 pm

nwtm_tea wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:16 am
stuff anywhere else by googling.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Most Chinese companies do not have access to Google services, most of marketing goes via Wechat and connected apps. Try Baidu-ing instead of Google-ing. And you will need the Chinese characters for the studio to find anything. It can be very difficult to outright impossible to find a specific item form a specific studio. Best bet would be Taobao. But sometimes the pictures there are not what is being delivered.

Also Chinese are used to huge quantities, dealing B to C with foreigners is something many there can't be bothered with, not worth the hassle for them for one or two items.
User avatar
pantry
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:34 am
Location: California

Wed May 27, 2020 9:28 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:09 pm
nwtm_tea wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:16 am
stuff anywhere else by googling.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Most Chinese companies do not have access to Google services, most of marketing goes via Wechat and connected apps. Try Baidu-ing instead of Google-ing. And you will need the Chinese characters for the studio to find anything. It can be very difficult to outright impossible to find a specific item form a specific studio. Best bet would be Taobao. But sometimes the pictures there are not what is being delivered.

Also Chinese are used to huge quantities, dealing B to C with foreigners is something many there can't be bothered with, not worth the hassle for them for one or two items.
In addition, a lot of Chinese companies cannot accept foreign credit cards. If they don't already have the set-up, you'll likely need to pay via WeChat or find a Chinese bank card somehow.

Have you tried talking to M&L directly and see if they can help you find something you like?
nwtm_tea
New user
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 12:08 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Thu May 28, 2020 12:50 am

Yeah I think talking with M&L may be my best bet at this point
gradiva
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:27 am
Location: Berlin

Sat May 30, 2020 11:06 am

Hi all. Wondering if someone out there can help me identify two Japanese makers and whether one thing is Japanese or Chinese.

The first:
Attachments
DEC43775-8A15-47D0-8C8A-BEB420D3637F.jpeg
DEC43775-8A15-47D0-8C8A-BEB420D3637F.jpeg (133.89 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
35236776-D1B2-4064-BAD1-7273871338E0.jpeg
35236776-D1B2-4064-BAD1-7273871338E0.jpeg (183.16 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
BAD23B90-19DD-495A-96B0-F809DF68BB6F.jpeg
BAD23B90-19DD-495A-96B0-F809DF68BB6F.jpeg (146.9 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
Last edited by gradiva on Sat May 30, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gradiva
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:27 am
Location: Berlin

Sat May 30, 2020 11:08 am

The second:
Attachments
7A2309D7-389C-4C83-810D-4587016B2867.jpeg
7A2309D7-389C-4C83-810D-4587016B2867.jpeg (201.96 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
398DABB8-E9C8-43E4-8F44-A237ED83029A.jpeg
398DABB8-E9C8-43E4-8F44-A237ED83029A.jpeg (101.53 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
2DF3F1B0-015E-4A76-BAF9-7856705B0C48.jpeg
2DF3F1B0-015E-4A76-BAF9-7856705B0C48.jpeg (50.4 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
Last edited by gradiva on Sat May 30, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply