The Porcelain Thread

Post Reply
User avatar
Victoria
Admin
Posts: 2239
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:33 pm
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Contact:

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:34 am

klepto wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:10 am
I have some hasami porcelain cups but I am not sure how to clean them properly without messing up the flavor of my tea.
You can use baking soda rub with fingers or cloth, followed by white vinegar wash, rinse a few times with water. Will clean up nicely with no after taste.
User avatar
klepto
Posts: 270
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:24 pm
Location: Floridaman, USA

Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:06 am

Victoria wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:34 am
klepto wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:10 am
I have some hasami porcelain cups but I am not sure how to clean them properly without messing up the flavor of my tea.
You can use baking soda rub with fingers or cloth, followed by white vinegar wash, rinse a few times with water. Will clean up nicely with no after taste.
Thank you very much, can do!
User avatar
Brent D
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:33 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:16 am

Looking for a pot with specific criteria:
Im looking for a pot that holds 300-350ML
Glazed on the inside at least. Porcelain would be optimal.
Must have built in multihole filter. Not stainless.
Not a side handle. Looking for one that has the conventional handle on the back.
Any suggestions?
Last edited by Brent D on Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Victoria
Admin
Posts: 2239
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:33 pm
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Contact:

Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:35 pm

Brent D wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:16 am
Looking for a pot with specific criteria:
Im looking for a pot that holds 300-350ML
Glazed on the inside at least. Porcelain would be optimal.
Must have built in multihole filter. Not stainless.
Any suggestions?
In terms of specifics would you prefer Chinese, Japanese, or Korean, and which color range from white, earth tones, blue/white, and solid color or some decoration okay? I enjoy using 450-550ml range preheated glazed pots to use as pitchers for Oolong and Darjeeling when I’m working. The thicker walls keep the tea warm longer.

You might check out our Japanese Teaware Vendor Recommendations, for inspiration.
Recently I saw this glazed pot that I think is special and matches your criteria nicely; https://www.sazentea.com/en/products/p1 ... J8QAvD_BwE
and this one although a little smaller; https://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php ... cts_id=982

p.s. another nice one; https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1946047895
swordofmytriumph
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:19 am
Location: Seattle, USA

Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:52 pm

Brent D wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:16 am
Looking for a pot with specific criteria:
Im looking for a pot that holds 300-350ML
Glazed on the inside at least. Porcelain would be optimal.
Must have built in multihole filter. Not stainless.
Any suggestions?
Hibiki-An has a nice looking porcelain kyusu that I’ve been eyeing as a basic pot (haven’t cracked and bought it yet). https://www.hibiki-an.com/product_info. ... cts_id/818
Mark-S
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Location: Germany

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:26 am

I have got a question regarding vintage/old Chinese porcelain: What do you look for when buying porcelain?

For example, I have seen a teapot on @Chadrinkincat's Instagram page. He wrote that this would be a pre-CR teapot. This style is very common in Germany and does not seem to be linked to a specific period. How to determine the right age?
Attachments
Screenshot_20200307-141145.png
Screenshot_20200307-141145.png (577.63 KiB) Viewed 1902 times
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 3553
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:38 am

Like any other discipline, by learning and studying it. Same as for Yixing, one needs to identify seal, production methods and artisan techniques which all leave traces on the object. Firing defects can indicate age. Colours are another clue. Arguably porcelain is more difficult, as there is more money in it, when faked right. Famously, specialist use old authentic bases of cups and bowls and attach them to new bodies, in a way that is seamless!

At least there is much more info out there on antique porcelain as it is also collectible in the West.
Hmm
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:36 am

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:38 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:26 am
I have got a question regarding vintage/old Chinese porcelain: What do you look for when buying porcelain?

For example, I have seen a teapot on Chadrinkincat's Instagram page. He wrote that this would be a pre-CR teapot. This style is very common in Germany and does not seem to be linked to a specific period. How to determine the right age?
Image
I just looked at his instagram to see why he would think it was pre-CR. It COULD be, but it its still post-49, at least until the 60s (CR starting in '66). The stamp on it, shows that already all the smaller producers have been collectivized.

BTW. I'm not sure about others, but I worry about any teaware that uses over glazed enamels. I'm afraid of something leeching into the tea.
Mark-S
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Location: Germany

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:48 pm

@Bok
I thought that maybe I could find some good porcelain cups/teapots when I am looking for Yixing teaware. However, this topic seems to be more complicated than I thought. :roll: Maybe I will take a second look on this topic when I got more time to spare.

@Hmm
I also fear that something could leech into my tea, so I use my glazed Yixings for decoration purposes only.
User avatar
OCTO
Posts: 679
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:25 pm
Location: Penang, Malaysia

Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:25 am

As requested by @DailyTX

Here's my cup. Made circa 1980s.

Cheers!
Attachments
20200322_165059.jpg
20200322_165059.jpg (101.27 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
20200322_165044.jpg
20200322_165044.jpg (112.16 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
20200322_165030.jpg
20200322_165030.jpg (161.72 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
DailyTX
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:43 pm
Location: Northern California

Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:49 am

OCTO wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:25 am
As requested by DailyTX

Here's my cup. Made circa 1980s.

Cheers!
Image
Image
Image
@OCTO
Thanks for the photos. I posted some fish cups last page, but may be a replica of qing/ROC :lol:
User avatar
debunix
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:27 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:05 pm

I've got a few porcelain pieces from Shawn McGuire (Great Wheel Studio, formerly Greenwood Studio) including this fabulous chawan

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
and the translucent little gem here, and I think the vase may be as well

Image

another translucent treasure

Image
DailyTX
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:43 pm
Location: Northern California

Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:46 pm

debunix wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:05 pm
I've got a few porcelain pieces from Shawn McGuire (Great Wheel Studio, formerly Greenwood Studio) including this fabulous chawan

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
and the translucent little gem here, and I think the vase may be as well

Image

another translucent treasure

Image
@debunix
Thanks for sharing! The tea boat/tray in the background looks interesting, mind sharing some photos of it when you get a chance? :)
User avatar
debunix
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:27 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:28 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:46 pm
The tea boat/tray in the background looks interesting, mind sharing some photos of it when you get a chance? :)
The tray is by Mirka Randova, and I think I bought it directly with a few other items from Petr Novak. It's in a ton of my teaware photos, but I've never featured it specifically for itself. It's got a matte glaze on the surface, with swirly lines and holes that remind me of a violin or cello, and that actually do channel the water a bit towards the holes.

It's about 18 inches long, a foot wide at the widest end (it's sort of pear shaped), and a few inches high at the wide end, and can hold a liter or so of spillage at need. It's big enough to hold a pot & cup, plus another pot holding some long-steeps from the end of another session, and a grandpa style session finishing off in a chawan, a vase if I've got some cut flowers (right now I'm letting the bees have them all, but when I start pulling out the remains, it can be very nice), and the tiny bizen utensil rest that I use for tiny nibbles of chocolate. The bottom is exposed rather coarse clay, so I place it on one a towel to preserve my plastic counters from scratches.

These show most of it

Image

Image

and here are the cats for a better sense of scale

Image

Image
DailyTX
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:43 pm
Location: Northern California

Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:57 pm

debunix wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:28 pm
DailyTX wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:46 pm
The tea boat/tray in the background looks interesting, mind sharing some photos of it when you get a chance? :)
The tray is by Mirka Randova, and I think I bought it directly with a few other items from Petr Novak. It's in a ton of my teaware photos, but I've never featured it specifically for itself. It's got a matte glaze on the surface, with swirly lines and holes that remind me of a violin or cello, and that actually do channel the water a bit towards the holes.

It's about 18 inches long, a foot wide at the widest end (it's sort of pear shaped), and a few inches high at the wide end, and can hold a liter or so of spillage at need. It's big enough to hold a pot & cup, plus another pot holding some long-steeps from the end of another session, and a grandpa style session finishing off in a chawan, a vase if I've got some cut flowers (right now I'm letting the bees have them all, but when I start pulling out the remains, it can be very nice), and the tiny bizen utensil rest that I use for tiny nibbles of chocolate. The bottom is exposed rather coarse clay, so I place it on one a towel to preserve my plastic counters from scratches.

These show most of it

Image

Image

and here are the cats for a better sense of scale

Image

Image
@debunix
Awesome! It not too big, has good space to fit everything including a vase for plants/flowers :)
Post Reply