Tea boats

pedant
Admin

Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:24 pm

theredbaron wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:02 pm
Essence of Tea carries now a selection of very traditional pewter tea trays/boats. I have been looking for one for at least a decade, but the old ones are super rare and nobody sells one.
These ones here are new, but made in the old way :)

https://essenceoftea.com/collections/te ... and-plates
those EoT ones look cool. i think @BioHorn may have recently bought one btw
theredbaron

Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:44 am

ShuShu wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:56 pm

One of the most popular trays on taobao :)

I have always admired with envy when i saw in an old shop people using one of the old ones, but could not persuade them to sell me one. These new ones look exactly like the old ones :)
theredbaron

Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:46 am

pedant wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:24 pm

those EoT ones look cool. i think BioHorn may have recently bought one btw

I like them a lot. I do not like the bamboo ones, or even worse, the ones with cheap plastic. I have one from clay, which is nice, but this traditional pewter tray is perfect, i hope the parcel comes soon :)
DailyTX

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:57 pm

Hi All,

I am curious if anyone who uses tea boat, tea tray, or tea plate uses any thing to prevent the teapot from scratching the surface? I have seen people use loofah pad. What do you use?

Thanks

Dailytx
Victoria
Admin

Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:13 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Hi All,
I am curious if anyone who uses tea boat, tea tray, or tea plate uses any thing to prevent the teapot from scratching the surface? I have seen people use loofah pad. What do you use?
Thanks
Dailytx
I use cork coasters, they dry very fast. Got these recently Cork Coaster, Natural Cork. Also, have nice Knoll fabric swatches and a few woven runners to reduce clicking and clacking noises and absorb drops.
debunix

Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:06 pm

My Mirka Randova tea trays are ceramic, as hard as the pots and cups that I place on them; and their surfaces are not smooth or uniformly colored. So no worries there. I use a variety of coasters, not very smooth or glossy, for drinking tea away from the tea trays, and have a few linens from Studio Edgart as part of my travel tea set.
DailyTX

Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:56 pm

Victoria wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:13 pm
DailyTX wrote:
Hi All,
Thanks
Dailytx
I use cork coasters, they dry very fast. Got these recently Cork Coaster, Natural Cork. Also, have nice Knoll fabric swatches and a few woven runners to reduce clicking and clacking noises and absorb drops.
@Victoria
Thank you for the inspiration, I think I’ll try to find a bamboo mat to match the tea tray ;)
DailyTX

Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:59 pm

debunix wrote:
My Mirka Randova tea trays are ceramic, as hard as the pots and cups that I place on them; and their surfaces are not smooth or uniformly colored. So no worries there. I use a variety of coasters, not very smooth or glossy, for drinking tea away from the tea trays, and have a few linens from Studio Edgart as part of my travel tea set.
I have a yixing zisha tea tray, so I was a little concern of scratching the pot and the tray lol. I think a bamboo mat, or if I am lucky, I’ll find a slab of timber for the medium :lol:
Bok
Vendor

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:03 am

DailyTX wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:59 pm
debunix wrote:
I have a yixing zisha tea tray, so I was a little concern of scratching the pot and the tray lol. I think a bamboo mat, or if I am lucky, I’ll find a slab of timber for the medium :lol:
What many here in Taiwan use are slices cut of dried loofa insides(the kind some also use to wash dishes or similar) or felt/fabric discs used in polishing machines.