DIY Bamboo Chasoku

DigitalSparks

Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:47 am

I have a very old stand of "Big Bamboo" in my backyard that has been beckoning me to get crafty with some of it, and try to make some tea utensils. So, yesterday I gathered a couple of pieces and tried my hand at making my first Bamboo Chasoku. ( I think this is what it's called not positive 100% positive)

I used my pocket knife some sandpaper, and some stain making this one, I figure I'll play around with different techniques as I make each one.

pedant
Admin

Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:13 pm

that's pretty sweet. does bamboo take stain evenly or were you kinda fighting it?
DigitalSparks

Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:14 am

pedant wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:13 pm
that's pretty sweet. does bamboo take stain evenly or were you kinda fighting it?
So far it seems that the areas that were sanded the most are taking stain the best. I have a few more pieces to do so as I get more familiar with the process it may become more apparent what technique is working the best.
Baisao

Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:25 pm

Looks great. There are stands of giant bamboo on Avery Island (moku, iirc). I know that various bamboo societies volunteer to care for them there. The bamboo societies also sell pieces from harvesting.
DigitalSparks

Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:59 pm

Avery Island is a beautiful place, it was one of my first date locations with my wife. I have thought about bringing my portable tea gear and having tea on the grounds when it gets a little cooler this fall. I wouldn't mind getting in touch with the Bamboo Society and possibly getting some of the Rhizomes to start here, I'm not sure if my bamboo is of the same type or not but it would be cool to have a few varieties on-site.

The lady who had my house built in 1912 was a horticulturist and there are several species of plants here that aren't native. I don't know exactly how old my bamboo stand is, but it has to be from 1912 to 1950 because my grandparents purchased this place in the 1950s.