My problem with brewing with a thermos

ragnaroek23
New user

Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:16 am

I use a thermo at my desk to do subsequent brewing of the same tea.
While a thermos is great a holding the temperature for long times while full, the water cool down quickly after the first pouring. Ideally I would want hotter water for later steepings, or at least roughly the same temperature.

Am I the only one who is annoyed but this, and does anyone have tipps on how to deal with this?
Bok
Vendor

Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:56 pm

ragnaroek23 wrote:
While a thermos is great a holding the temperature for long times while full, the water cool down quickly after the first pouring. Ideally I would want hotter water for later steepings, or at least roughly the same temperature.

Am I the only one who is annoyed but this, and does anyone have tipps on how to deal with this?
Can't really work against time and the nature of things in this case. Drink faster is probably the only way to still get the maximum out of the tea. In this situation I mostly opt for throwing leaf(less than for a regular session) directly into the thermos. Not all teas can take this treatment, usually the better the tea, the easier it works without creating a nasty brew.
mbanu

Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:17 pm

Some thermoses retain heat better than others. If it's a case of, "Yes, but this is the thermos I've got-", one thing that can help is to put it in something insulated. A rather low-tech solution during the winter would just be to put a knit cap over it. :D Don't expect miracles, though.
Tyler

Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:02 am

To clarify, you are using hot water from the thermos to brew tea in a different vessel? I guess that can work, but I would say the better options would be either to thermos brew like Bok said or see if you can get an electric kettle at your workplace
Admar
Vendor

Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:22 am

As said before, getting a better thermos helps. I used to use the "normal" stanley 1L thermos flask that had the same issue troughout the day. I then switched to the Stanley Master series 1,3L and it is an absolute beast. Way better heat retention when not full and it is super tough.
debunix

Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:11 am

I also tried hot water from the thermos, and found that the temperature profile just can’t be right for what I want, which is for the water to be hotter, if possible, for later infusions them at the beginning, and water from the thermos is always going to be cooler for later infusions than at the beginning. So I gave up and started infusing the leaves in the thermos at the beginning, and adjusted which teas I use to those that can take this treatment and not get unbearably bitter or just otherwise go off over a few hours. This was simply a much easier solution.
tolean

Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:32 am

Yeah physics and time are unstoppable but here is a small tip. Boil a little bit more water then you need, heat up the thermos with some water, steep it out and then fulfill the thermos with hiot water ( when the thermos is already hot inside). Anyway the temperature will drop down in time, but you win some degrees doing it.
pepson

Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:19 am

ragnaroek23 wrote:

Hello.

I suppose you have got an electric kettle in your office. This glass flask is the best solution except real teaware (teapot + tea cup).

Update: It seems to be a bit barbaric but it is effective way how to brew tea at work.I would never use it at home :mrgreen: