What's a good "universal" teapot

Metagross31
New user

Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:48 am

Hey all,
I am new this forum. I am not sure, if is this the right place to ask for advice about brewing tea and the right teaware.
If so, here is my question:
I am looking for a nice teapot to brew different kinds in the same pot. I do have a Yixing teapot, which I used for black teas before, but I heard somewhere, that it is not adviced to use a Yixing for different kinds of tea (black, green, oolong, white and pu erh). What would you recommend getting to use as a universal teapot? Maybe a japanese cast-iron teapot?
Any advice/recommendations is welcome! :)
pedant
Admin

Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:31 pm

hi!
Metagross31 wrote:
What would you recommend getting to use as a universal teapot?
my personal pick would be a porcelain gaiwan.
Metagross31 wrote:
Maybe a japanese cast-iron teapot?
idk, i've never had someone tell me he was happy with one of those...
debunix

Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:52 pm

A fully glazed shiboridashi or a gaiwan will be great for almost any tea; finely broken leaves of sencha and gyokuro are trickier to handle in a gaiwan, depending on your experience and comfort with some fine leaves in the final tea liquor.

I would be happy to take any of several fully glazed shibos, gaiwans and kyusu with me as my desert island one and only tea-infusing device. That gaiwan will be easiest to clean out, but arguably hardest with fine leaf bits. The pot does better with fines but has more nooks & crannies to hide stuff when cleaning it; the shiboridashi is a very fine compromise.
Baisao

Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:18 am

Metagross31 wrote:
I heard somewhere, that it is not adviced to use a Yixing for different kinds of tea (black, green, oolong, white and pu erh).
I used to dedicate Yixing teapots to each major group, including different teapots for different oolongs. I was being a dummy.

At the least* I’d suggest having a dedicated teapot for heicha or shou and another teapot that you could use for the others. So long as you rinse well then there won’t be very much carryover between reds, whites, greens, and oolongs.

* obviously some teas do better in specific pots than others. For example, I prefer baozhong in one pot and dancong in another but both could be used interchangeably with only minor differences because the clays and firing of each favors certain teas, not because of tea residues.

A porcelain teapot or gaiwan is as close to a one vessel solution as you can get.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:05 pm

Baisao wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:18 am
A porcelain teapot or gaiwan is as close to a one vessel solution as you can get.
Second that. I'd opt for the teapot in porcelain. Gaiwan has too much heat loss due to large lid opening and for some it is more cumbersome to get a grip(pun pun) on the handling... Teapot is easier. Just need to opt for a reasonably thin and not too large one to avoid over cooking leaves. Something along the lines of 100-200ml is possibly the most versatile.
Teafortea

Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:32 pm

I absolutely adore Inge Nielsen teapots. Her Nuka glazed teapot is my favorite one and the only one I bring with me since I travel almost every weekend.
Baisao

Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:43 pm

Teafortea wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:32 pm
I absolutely adore Inge Nielsen teapots. Her Nuka glazed teapot is my favorite one and the only one I bring with me since I travel almost every weekend.
I also like her glazed teapots. They are neutral, reasonably sized, and have one of the fastest pours I've used. I've mentioned this elsewhere on the forum. Not only are they nice beginner teapots but they are great for testing teas if you don't like cupping.
Teafortea

Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:40 pm

Agreed 100%