Cast iron teapots

KapnoPhilia88

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:59 pm

Hello,

Would you please compare the qualities of cast iron teapots with ceramic ones? Thank you.
pedant
Admin

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:23 am

this question is a bit vague, so i will have to make some assumptions about what you're referring to. feel free to follow up with specific examples of what you'd like critiqued.

cast iron kettles (like tetsubin) can be very nice.

however, i have never seen a compelling cast iron teapot. i believe they're basically modeled on the aesthetics of tetsubin and sold as kitsch. teavana sold them in malls to their clients with deep pockets as the "best way to brew tea" (according to those "in the know") ;)

from a material properties perspective, a metal teapot loses heat more quickly and is more difficult to handle due to higher thermal conductivity.

iron can have a noticeable effect on the flavor of tea (sometimes good, sometimes bad). however, i think those cast iron teapots are enameled, so the iron doesn't make direct contact.

if you spend time reading around, people say all sorts of things about the effects of various ceramics on tea.
KapnoPhilia88

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:32 am

Thank you,

So what you mean to say is that a tetsubin is used in Eastern style "gong fu" brewing to initially heat the water which is then transferred to a gawain where the tea is steeped? Right?

As I am mostly interested in Western techniques, what I would like to know is if anyone steeps their tea in the cast iron tea pot as they do in say an English porcelain pot, and if this is advantageous. Thank you.
wave_code

Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:26 am

if you are interested in 'western style', as in say a sort of classic British style tea, no there is absolutely no advantage or reason to use a cast iron pot and is certainly not a traditional thing. I'd go so far as to say you would be better off getting a good quality vintage porcelain teapot, which in a larger size like you would use for brewing a big pot of say black tea shouldn't be hard to find. In fact I believe @Stephen has a rather nice noir famille rose teapot in the sale section - the quality of the porcelain on these older mun shou and famille rose pots I find very good for their price and they come in a variety of sizes from large to what for you would be single cup size.

if you find you just really like the look of the small cast iron pots for brewing, do yourself a favor and get an Iwachu one - there are many low-end copies on the market and you will be able to see and taste a difference in the production quality and cheap enamel lining.
KapnoPhilia88

Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:02 am

If you don't mind, I would like to resume this topic later. For now I would like to get a few things established, and so I will begin a new thread on brewing methods.
Stephen

Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:09 pm

@wave_code Thanks for the mention. I actually just sold that teapot. I'll update the listing. And I agree, I would prefer a porcelain teapot to a cast iron one for brewing tea.
KapnoPhilia88

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:22 pm

Thank you, so in other words, the cast iron "teapots" I'm seeing sold are really only kettles "tetsubin" which have been enameled to prevent rust and to which have been added a strainer basket. These can no longer be used as a kettle, and make poor teapots because they rob heat and impart iron to the tea. Correct? They are a gimmick?
mbanu

Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:22 pm

Cast-iron teapots were invented by the French company Mariage Freres, to help them with the experimental brewing styles they were working on back then. They went to a Japanese tetsubin maker and asked if they could enamel the inside. These pots took on a life of their own due to the influence of gender roles -- in America, at least, cast iron is seen as a manly material, so men who would not consider buying any other type of teapot could be convinced to buy a cast-iron teapot. Because of this, teashops that had no interest in French teas or Mariage Freres experiments would offer cast-iron teapots.
KapnoPhilia88

Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:46 pm

I've used cast iron cookware with very favorable results. Cast iron is durable, heats evenly, requires little cleaning, is versatile, beautiful, rings nicely, etc. Overall a little trickier but much better than steel, tephlon, copper, or aluminum in my opinion. So I am not surprised that some merchants are able to profit from these gimmick cast iron teapots.

My next question is about steel versus cast iron kettles. But that merits a new thread, thank you for commenting.