Teapots as pitchers

OCTO

Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:00 am

faj wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:54 am
OCTO wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:03 am
I do it very often. I often try to match them based on the character of the two pots that brews the tea I’m going to drink. By doing so, I’m minimizing the possibility of the tea profiles being diminished by poor matching pots.
Thanks for the comments. Do you feel using a teapot as a pitcher (made with a clay of generally similar character to that of the teapot used to brew) increases the potency of the effect the clay has on the tea? Does it, for instance, have a cumulative muting effect?
No it doesn’t enhance. But if you use a wrong pot, then it might mute the tea. In fact, the same goes for glass pitchers too.

Cheers!
faj

Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:06 am

OCTO wrote:
No it doesn’t enhance. But if you use a wrong pot, then it might mute the tea. In fact, the same goes for glass pitchers too.
I would be curious to understand your comment about glass pitchers. Do you mean they may not be neutral?
OCTO

Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:26 pm

faj wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:06 am
OCTO wrote:
I would be curious to understand your comment about glass pitchers. Do you mean they may not be neutral?
@faj

Yes indeed, not all are neutral.... hahahahaha.... I don't have the exact science behind it, we have done a comparison on a lineup of glass pitchers compared to a porcelain gaiwan. A lot of them definitely didn't turn out as expected!.. hahahaha...

Cheers!
faj

Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:08 pm

Cleaning glass teaware was discussed above. I confidently stated the dishwasher kept my glassware clean. Feeling poster's remorse, I went and, you know, checked. Putting my cups and teapots under a bright light revealed a cloudy coating :o. The glass actually had a tint to it I had not noticed, and my new glass teapot was obviously not the same color as the older, identical one... I think this developed (or worsened) recently from the aged teas I have had more of.

What to do? I quickly thought of my friend, Mr. Percarbonate. For single wall items, I just soaked them in off-boiling water and added sodium percarbonate, same as I would do with a clay teapot. For double-wall cups, I just poured boiling water inside and added percarbonate (only the inside wall had the "coating"). I waited a while, rinsed, then ran everything through the dishwasher. Everything came out very clean, no scrubbing involved.
OCTO

Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:36 pm

faj wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:08 pm
Cleaning glass teaware was discussed above. I confidently stated the dishwasher kept my glassware clean. Feeling poster's remorse, I went and, you know, checked. Putting my cups and teapots under a bright light revealed a cloudy coating :o. The glass actually had a tint to it I had not noticed, and my new glass teapot was obviously not the same color as the older, identical one... I think this developed (or worsened) recently from the aged teas I have had more of.

What to do? I quickly thought of my friend, Mr. Percarbonate. For single wall items, I just soaked them in off-boiling water and added sodium percarbonate, same as I would do with a clay teapot. For double-wall cups, I just poured boiling water inside and added percarbonate (only the inside wall had the "coating"). I waited a while, rinsed, then ran everything through the dishwasher. Everything came out very clean, no scrubbing involved.
👍🏻👍🏻