Teaware I'm Missing

Noonie

Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:35 am

Couldn't think of what to name the Subject, but here goes what's on my mind...

I want to research and acquire some new teaware to compliment, heighten or otherwise just enjoy along with the magical leaf. I don't buy very often but when I do I like the research part, finding out the history of a type of tea item, and the specific item itself (who made it, where is it from, etc.).

There are a number of items I would like, most of which I have something already, but nothing that jumps out. I don't think I'm missing anything that would add to my tea sessions. Other option is just getting another of something I already have, because it will be different in some way. Lastly, I don't want to spend a lot of $ (not setting a budget, but should be under $200...and may be as little as $10, it's not about the price, I just don't want to spend too much at the moment).

I mainly drink Sencha and Pu'erh (ripe/raw). I also drink Taiwan high mountain oolong and Dong Ding, and Wuyi, Dan Cong and Gyokuro now and then.

For Sencha I have one Kyusu (the other one is at work and I can't get it because of Covid, and may not be back there for many, many months). I also have a couple of Hohin/Shib. And several nice cups. I could use another Kyusu...for variety sake. I set the temp on my kettle so don't need a separate Yuzamashi (but they're nice to look at!).

For all other tea I have a couple of gaiwan's, a yixing for ripe and another for raw, a glass pitcher, strainer, a tea tray, and several cups. I don't have a tea boat or any dedicated tea coasters (those are options).

I also have a scale and enough canisters.

I've been leaning towards a Kyusu, but every time I see something I like it's either over my budget or far too large for brewing for myself. I bought a yixing pot not long ago so I would like something different.

I realize I'm asking for advice and I should just make up my own mind, but I'm hoping your ideas or own stories of growing your teaware collection give me some wisdom :mrgreen:
TeaTotaling

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:50 pm

Sometimes a little advice, and wisdom, helps one's thoughts come full circle.

On the Kyusu front, this one by Master Kamimura looks nice. Probably around 150ml in use. Not sure if it fits your bill, but an option none the less.
Attachments
db_file_img_8978_1200x630_keep_ratio.jpg
db_file_img_8978_1200x630_keep_ratio.jpg (27.42 KiB) Viewed 3074 times
.m.

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:20 pm

It sounds you're doing fine. ;) IMO, the next step could be a good kettle, either ceramic or a tetsubin. Depends on your water, but generally an improvement on the quality of the water can have a significant effect.
Janice

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:15 pm

If you want a second Kyushu consider a Kobiwako pot from Hojo. If you search the forum there are several threads where the clay is discussed. There’s a big size range so if you decide to buy one you could add variety of size as well as clay.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:02 pm

Janice wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:15 pm
If you want a second Kyushu consider a Kobiwako pot from Hojo. If you search the forum there are several threads where the clay is discussed. There’s a big size range so if you decide to buy one you could add variety of size as well as clay.
There a two Junzo Kobiwako for sale in TeaSwap from Chip’s own collection. I have the third one and use it frequently.
faj

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:36 pm

Kobiwako has, indeed, been mentioned quite a bit on the forum, and is a worthwhile addition, if only for how strong its effect on tea is.

I would mention Masaki Tachi's teapots as something to consider. His Banko stuff is quite affordable as far as hand-made teapots go, Hojo and Artistic Nippon both have some. I have a small Banko kyusu, and it usually is the first teapot I try any new sencha with. It will not always end up being the best performer, but it tends to be within range, and it never overpowers tea like Kobiwako does in some cases by being too "pushy" (as per my personal preference, of course). It is a joy to use, being very fast pouring, with impeccable lid fit. Getting it to drip takes a lot of dedication. From an aesthetic standpoint, you may not like everything Masaki Tachi makes (I don't). The one I have is kind of stubby and a bit ridiculous in its proportions : I find it just disproportionate enough to be cute (in the way babies are cute). If I had to chose a single teapot to take to a desert island, it would be on my short list.
Noonie

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:47 pm

Well...I ended up spending the money on tea instead. yunnansourcing.us has free shipping to Canada (spend $200) and some free tea. Couldn’t resist!

Maybe I’ll just get a new and inexpensive Gaiwan for kicks :lol: