Spout design?

mbanu

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:25 am

I got a new teapot with an almost L-shaped spout, and this got me thinking about this. There are diagonal spouts, S-shaped spouts, stubby spouts, all kinds, but I can't think of any books that talk about the design principles behind these that make one spout better for one type of pouring or tea than another. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Bok
Vendor

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:46 am

mbanu wrote:
I got a new teapot with an almost L-shaped spout, and this got me thinking about this. There are diagonal spouts, S-shaped spouts, stubby spouts, all kinds, but I can't think of any books that talk about the design principles behind these that make one spout better for one type of pouring or tea than another. Does anyone have any suggestions?
It is more about physics. And the crucial part of the spout is not the shape, but the relation between the exit hole and the diameter of where it is attached at the body. And of course if it is a single or multi-hole exit. How are the holes aligned in relation to the exit etc.

Longer spout will allow more control of the pour in general, shorter ones can be prone to dribbling, if not counteracted by small creases and so on.

Curved is slower than straight, narrower is slower than wide. Just basic mathematics. But - especially older teapots have tine nudges and unseen bends that can provide a superior handling of the water flow. That is where things get complicated to explain...

So for tea it boils down to what is better for it, longer exposure to hot water? finicky with time? Leaves that tend to flow out if the pour is too fast, etc.
pantry

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:56 am

I prefer a spout that's attached lower rather than higher, wider diameter, only very slightly curved for a better control without sacrificing the speed (short cannon spouts drip and spill too easily for me). While it's true that spouts play a big part, I think it mostly comes down to personal preferences. Experienced tea masters (not me) can probably adjust other brewing parameters to make great tea with different teapot shapes and sizes.
aet
Vendor

Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:41 am

not sure if is the same style but mei ren tian teapot types have that kinda L shape spout. Post the picture so we can see.
Youzi

Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:48 am

mbanu wrote:
Can you show us a picture?