Grandpa Amu making a Tea Table

Proinsias

Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:01 am

Easy watching and a rather nice table:

pedant
Admin

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:34 pm

awesome, thanks for posting!

when i saw him laying out his lines on the workpiece with a pen, my first thought was, "i wish i had a router like this guy."
and then i saw him tying the workpiece to a tree. nvm, he definitely does not have one! doesn't even have an electric drill. :mrgreen:

also, i'm not sure what i was expecting, but that table came out way differently than i thought it would. i didn't realize it was going to be a folder at first. cool design.
Victoria
Admin

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:21 pm

Thanks for sharing this with us. Looks like rosewood, the dust is so red. Amazing skill it takes to make this by hand out of one piece of wood with no additional hardware just folding joints. The underside of the table is really nice. Grandpa and grandson too sweet.
mrmopu

Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:25 pm

WOW!!! I need him to make me a table! :!:
thommes

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:33 am

Incredible skills. At first I thought I was thinking gungfo table... then as the artisan progressed I was thinking more like a tea service table... then well the table is somewhat gungfo, but not the type that you could pour and hold waste liquid,

I love these types of videos and appreciate the hand skills. Try to support them so they don't vanish, but I know the artisans don't get what they should. I like watching the handmade teapot videos too. There's also the bamboo basket videos... so much time and effort goes into getting the bamboo ready for weaving...
bentz98125

Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:00 pm

Wow, great tip! Not just tea related, but no less than woodworking hand tool guru himself, Christopher Schwarz (https://blog.lostartpress.com/2019/12/3 ... e-hermits/), has written an entire book about the very techniques seen in this video (https://lostartpress.files.wordpress.co ... ches-1.pdf). The interesting thing is that Christopher's research relates them to ancient Rome, Greece, and Egypt but here they are in an asian context! The planing stop, seated position for workholding, workbench dimensions and height are all identical. What isn't identical is the fascinating windlass/tuniquet style clamps used in the video. And for anyone who hasn't attempted the hand ripping bow saw cuts he makes in the video, you have no idea how skilled his hands are because he makes it look like child's play! Thank you, thank you for the link!!
Proinsias

Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:18 pm

I have revisited the video since reading the Roman workbench pdf and a bit about Christopher Schwarz.

The use of the bench is wonderful. I missed it whilst focusing on the sharp things and tea table.

Thank you bentz98125
debunix

Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:43 pm

I am entirely confident that I have sufficient experience with woodworking* to declare his skills simply magic. It's a twist on 'any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic': 'any skill sufficiently advanced beyond mine is indistinguishable from magic'.

*I've sawed wood by hand with different tools, and put things together from the pieces. That has to count!
Bok
Vendor

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:08 pm

All skills aside – loving the little one drink "tea" in the end! :D