Your First Teapot... show off!

Bok
Vendor

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:16 pm

mbanu wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:38 pm
I'm astonished that nobody's first teapot was an English teapot! Or at least an English knock-off, like mine was.
Maybe explainable as those pots were already available in people's homes (parents/grandparents etc.) so not purchased by themselves?

And for sure the design is a copy of earlier Yixing. The examples can be found.
Quentin

Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:54 pm

My first teapot was a 200ml Tokoname kyusu made by Hiroyuki Kamimura aka Sekiryu. It was the very first piece of tea ware I purchased, and I immediatly fell in love with the simple lines and mogake finish. It's a relatively thin-walled pot with a perfectly acceptable fast pour, but as I've gotten more kyusu it has since been reassigned my designated "office pot" because it's wide open design makes it a breeze to clean. I love it dearly, and hope it's worth sharing.

tempImageQZWnGG.gif
tempImageQZWnGG.gif (424.57 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
tempImagexMT4GW.gif
tempImagexMT4GW.gif (422.09 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
debunix

Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:48 pm

Quentin wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:54 pm
as I've gotten more kyusu it has since been reassigned my designated "office pot" because it's wide open design makes it a breeze to clean.
Yes, worth sharing. And ease-of-use is super important for work, where the rinsing & cleaning options may be quite limited.
faj

Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:25 pm

debunix wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:48 pm
Yes, worth sharing. And ease-of-use is super important for work, where the rinsing & cleaning options may be quite limited.
When I first started using teapots at work, I was worried about this.

I built a habit of cleaning my teapots by putting a bit of water from the kettle, shaking and moving the teapot in circles, and pouring the leaves out (I remove the bulk of the leaves from the teapot before doing that, of course). I do that maybe three times, and once in a while I will use a paper clip to dislodge a leaf stuck in the filter at the end. That is what I do at home, and since in the office I always have a pitcher on hand that I use to pour out rinse water, I pour the "cleaning" water in it too. This way, I can use any of my pots in the office the same way I do at home, and I do not need to walk around with teapots in my hands.