Heating Elements

Victoria
Admin

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:05 pm

Teachronicles wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:22 am

In the bottom right of that post, there's a kettle with what I presume is a hot plate under it. I remember a user posting a picture of one they had just like that, but can't seem to find the thread.

I found this on aliexpress:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/5h5I7QY

It's fairly expensive and I'm wondering if anyone has it, or if not, does anyone have something similar they would recommend? Or, any tips on a specific brand that's well regarded. Im specifically looking for this clean, minimal looking style.
That electric hot plate looks really nice aesthetically, although it’s very expensive for what it is. If you want the hot plate to work with both ceramic and iron kettles you may want to get an infrared heating element. With induction hot plates you can’t use ceramic or aluminum kettles (needs ferromagnetic material), but can use iron kettles. Something else to be aware of is glass/ceramic top hot plates scratch easily so when placing the kettle try not to drag it around, or it will scratch the surface.
Teachronicles

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:31 pm

Victoria wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:05 pm
Teachronicles wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:22 am

In the bottom right of that post, there's a kettle with what I presume is a hot plate under it. I remember a user posting a picture of one they had just like that, but can't seem to find the thread.

I found this on aliexpress:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/5h5I7QY

It's fairly expensive and I'm wondering if anyone has it, or if not, does anyone have something similar they would recommend? Or, any tips on a specific brand that's well regarded. Im specifically looking for this clean, minimal looking style.
That electric hot plate looks really nice aesthetically, although it’s very expensive for what it is. If you want the hot plate to work with both ceramic and iron kettles you may want to get an infrared heating element. With induction hot plates you can’t use ceramic or aluminum kettles (needs ferromagnetic material), but can use iron kettles. Something else to be aware of is glass/ceramic top hot plates scratch easily so when placing the kettle try not to drag it around, or it will scratch the surface.
Victoria, I didn't think that one was induction, but seemed like infrared to me, anyway. Thank you to you, or whichever mod moved my post here, as this was the post I was looking for. I will around on Ali for something similar to what elise has, maybe searching hibachi hot plate will help.
pedant
Admin

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:11 pm

any leads on the hibachi-style hotplates?
Abracadaver!

Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:02 am

pedant wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:11 pm
any leads on the hibachi-style hotplates?
They aren't listed on their website, but Fang Gourmet Tea in Flushing, NY has a bunch of different styles, including ones that look exactly like the one posted here. I imagine if you contact them, they'd be willing to send photos.
MojoSlim

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:55 am

Elise wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:24 am
I use an electric hibachi-like warming plate. This is bought from China (but made in Taiwan) since it seems that Japanese hibachi-style electric heaters became very popular among tea people in China.
5893CD30-A5F7-4239-B3ED-181A29F18984.jpeg
Wow, that is a gorgeous stove/heater. A friend has a nice infrared burner set into a clay container that is very nice as well, and has had me off on a search to find something other than the typical commercially available metal cased burner. Thanks for sharing this.
MojoSlim

Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:08 am

It is too bad that there aren't many nicer burners (like some posted above) available to the US market (or with 110v and compatible plug) - at least I'm not able to find any with my google-fu skills. We're currently using a 100W Infrared Portable stove from Ovente purchased on Amazon.

Some of my gripes is it seems somewhat anemic powerwise (at least compared to a friend's burner, which he pickup up in Taiwan and is built into nice clay pot), the temperature control isn't very concise - it cycles on and off to maintain the temperature and whenever it does this it makes a click sound, and lastly it isn't very aesthetically pleasing.

I'm looking to find something a little nicer, and especially something that is a little more silent. Would anyone have suggestions for something that would work in the US, preferably fairly quiet (fan is fine, but that clicking noise on the Ovente is a bit annoying), and nicer to look at than the one I'm using? It seems like an untapped market in the US for someone with pottery skills to set an Infrared burner (preferably 1000+W) into a nice clay pot or other such vessel.
lUKAV28

Sun May 05, 2019 5:11 pm

Hi Guys,

I’m fairly new here as I just discovered this forum and have a question regarding heating water in clay kettle myself. I recently purchased Lin’s ceramics kettle as I found it on Amazon for a fraction of the price of Anta one and simply could not resist it. Still I don’t know what would work best for heating water in it. I know induction is out of the picture but what about infrared ceramic cooker? Does anybody have any experience with Lin’s kettles? Thank you.
pedant
Admin

Sun May 05, 2019 11:23 pm

pretty much anything should be ok for it except induction like you said... unless it's one of the Lin's kettles specifically made for induction (has a metal puck integrated into the base)
lUKAV28

Mon May 06, 2019 1:04 am

Great, thank you for helping me out. It is still on its way but I am pretty sure it is the basic one.
Baisao

Sun May 26, 2019 9:39 pm

This is what I am using as a hot plate. It’s an electric Japanese brazier. I use a high quality transformer to adjust for the lower voltage needed. They can be expensive but if you shop around they can be had for a reasonable price.

If you get one, knock out the bottom, which is weakly glued in, then clean the joints and glue it back with a strong urethane glue. It takes ten to fifteen minutes but will save you from a broken foot. Anyone can do this upgrade.

Another thing I like about it is that it will fit into the traditional box braziers when not being used for charcoal. I place a square of black foamcore over the top, insert the wooden frame to secure it, then set the electric brazier onto to the foamcore. It works perfectly and brings it up to knee height which is comfortable for me.

I like the aesthetic and convenience of it. It will bring a liter of water in a ceramic kettle to a full boil in 20 minutes. It has three settings: high, medium, and off.

Various angles:
Attachments
B37DB3AA-5623-4463-9F62-D18B05F8D0DF.jpeg
B37DB3AA-5623-4463-9F62-D18B05F8D0DF.jpeg (181.7 KiB) Viewed 10917 times
2E2D16FE-5C23-4DD4-A38B-F82BB5B8784F.jpeg
2E2D16FE-5C23-4DD4-A38B-F82BB5B8784F.jpeg (190.25 KiB) Viewed 10917 times
57851980-63CF-41F5-BFE9-98A5EF3FBDC5.jpeg
57851980-63CF-41F5-BFE9-98A5EF3FBDC5.jpeg (152.79 KiB) Viewed 10917 times
Last edited by Baisao on Sun May 26, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bok
Vendor

Sun May 26, 2019 9:51 pm

@Baisao very nice! I should get me one of those! I always admire those antique Japanese braziers, yet charcoal inside is often not such a good idea, your fix is perfect. Got all the looks, yet not the poison.
Baisao

Sun May 26, 2019 10:04 pm

Bok wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:51 pm
Baisao very nice! I should get me one of those! I always admire those antique Japanese braziers, yet charcoal inside is often not such a good idea, your fix is perfect. Got all the looks, yet not the poison.
Thank you, sir! I was put off charcoal when I discovered that even small amounts of CO were toxic even when not acutely dangerous. It’s rarely seasonable enough in Texas to make tea outside, and when it is the wind presents a challenge when trying to bring water to a boil. I’m very fond of this setup. It’s the best of both worlds.
pantry

Mon May 27, 2019 1:17 am

I have one of those! Still need to find a furo to house it, and I'm not using a transformer (is that safe?). I like that it's quiet, but takes forever to boil. I usually bring the water to boil on a stove before transferring to this heater.
IMG_0317.JPG
IMG_0317.JPG (69.07 KiB) Viewed 10899 times
Baisao wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:39 pm
If you get one, knock out the bottom, which is weakly glued in, then clean the joints and glue it back with a strong urethane glue. It takes ten to fifteen minutes but will save you from a broken foot. Anyone can do this upgrade.
Which part at the bottom did you recommend re-gluing? Did you mean the plastic case or the gotoku legs?

I have another portable induction cooktop from many years ago that I found too loud for tea practice. Are the newer cooking plates / portable stoves in the market now quiet?
Baisao

Mon May 27, 2019 2:35 am

pantry wrote:
Which part at the bottom did you recommend re-gluing? Did you mean the plastic case or the gotoku legs?
It’s the bottom of the lacquer box that needs regluing. I think that the reflective insert must help it heat faster since it reflects radiant heat.
pantry

Mon May 27, 2019 1:02 pm

Baisao wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:35 am
pantry wrote:
It’s the bottom of the lacquer box that needs regluing. I think that the reflective insert must help it heat faster since it reflects radiant heat.
Ah, yours came housed in the wooden furo! Makes sense that the radiant heat would help. I bought just the heating element because it’s the cheapest 😂, and thought I’d get a furo later when I find a deal. It’s been a year....