Tetsubin

Darbotek

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:59 pm

Victoria wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:43 pm

I think an oxidized tea, like black/red, will work better to remove and blacken existing rust inside kettle. I’ve heard of people using cheap Lipton tea bags, I used crappy loose old black tea I had. Sometimes you’ll need to boil tea leaves several times for this to work correctly. Since water tastes good already this is a very good sign, but it will continue to rust more quickly if not treated. Also, make sure to let it completely dry after each use by removing boiling water from hot kettle to let evaporation do the drying.

I will give some cheap oxidized tea a shot!

I am definitely very careful about drying it, especially with the rust it already has.
Darbotek

Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:49 pm

Chris

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:45 pm

Thank you to everyone who's posted suggestions on lessening rust spots inside the testsubin.

The attached picture is the worst spot in mine after several instances of boiling tea leaves, as well as the suggestion of lemon water followed by tea leaves.

Is there a certain point at which you guys just accept a little bit of rust, or would you continue with the tea-leaf treatment here?
Tetsubin rust
Tetsubin rust
IMG_20200403_153625.jpg (255.55 KiB) Viewed 9269 times
pantry

Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:31 pm

Chris wrote:
Thank you to everyone who's posted suggestions on lessening rust spots inside the testsubin.

The attached picture is the worst spot in mine after several instances of boiling tea leaves, as well as the suggestion of lemon water followed by tea leaves.

Is there a certain point at which you guys just accept a little bit of rust, or would you continue with the tea-leaf treatment here?

I continue to use mine until I have time to give it a full spa treatment. Not sure if it’s safe though, but the water tastes great! I used porridge (boiled cooked rice) first before the tea treatment, and found it to extend the no-rust time.
Bok
Vendor

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:29 pm

Chris wrote:

That looks completely acceptable to me! Rust will always be part of a Tetsubin, it will keep coming back. It’s about striking a balance and using it often.
Chris

Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:57 am

Thanks for your replies, pantry and Bok! Looking forward to making tea with it today, in that case. :D
DailyTX

Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:17 pm

Hi All,

I have been looking into tetsubin last week mainly inspired by this thread. I have glass a cooktop at home, so not ideal for tetsubin as it may scratch the cooktop. I am looking for portable heat source that works well with tetsubin. Does anyone use a electric portable heat source for your setup?
faj

Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:49 pm

DailyTX wrote:
I am looking for portable heat source that works well with tetsubin. Does anyone use a electric portable heat source for your setup?
I do not have a tetsubin or experience with them, but I would expect any sufficiently powerful electric burner to work as long as the tetsubin has a flat bottom (is that a safe assumption?). Since a tetsubin is basically made of iron, it should work with induction burners too. Do you have any special requirements?
DailyTX

Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:56 pm

faj wrote:
DailyTX wrote:
I am looking for portable heat source that works well with tetsubin. Does anyone use a electric portable heat source for your setup?
I do not have a tetsubin or experience with them, but I would expect any sufficiently powerful electric burner to work as long as the tetsubin has a flat bottom (is that a safe assumption?). Since a tetsubin is basically made of iron, it should work with induction burners too. Do you have any special requirements?
@faj
No requirements at all, I am more curious to see other’s setup so I can slowly build my own setup. I too don’t own a tetsubin, but I am keeping an eye out if I happened to encounter one I like
faj

Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:08 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:56 pm
No requirements at all, I am more curious to see other’s setup so I can slowly build my own setup.
I obviously cannot make really informed recommendations. I would suggest you stay away from really cheap coil burners, as they have no real insulation and their outer surfaces become very hot. I have a couple of those I use once in a while for fondue and they are OK for that purpose, but if I were to use a burner often, I would want something better made, especially if it needs to be stowed away after use rather than left in place.
Victoria
Admin

Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:43 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Hi All,

I have been looking into tetsubin last week mainly inspired by this thread. I have glass a cooktop at home, so not ideal for tetsubin as it may scratch the cooktop. I am looking for portable heat source that works well with tetsubin. Does anyone use a electric portable heat source for your setup?
If you want a portable burner that is good with both iron and ceramic kettles then an infrared burner is the way to go. That’s what I use. Something like this one;
Cusimax Portable Electric Stove, 1200W Infrared Single Burner Heat-up In Seconds, 7 Inch Ceramic Glass Single Hot Plate Cooktop for Dorm Office Home Camp, Compatible w/All Cookware
Darbotek

Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:24 pm

This is the one I use and it’s has served me well for the last 1.5 years. Both Tetsubin and ceramic.

Ovente Electric Glass Infrared Burner 7 Inch Single Hot Plate with Temperature Control, 1000 Watts, Fire Resistant Metal Housing, Indicator Light, Compact and Portable, Silver (BGI101S), One
Pants404

Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:09 pm

I use a dedicated induction plate for my tetsubin. there has been a lot of negetive comments about induction being too hot or harsh for a tetsubin, but I keep the heat low with no bad experiences. 400 or 600 watts can slowly bring a full Kettle to the boil in maybe 15 minutes, then I drop it to 200w to keep it hot or slowly Increase temperature.. I like that the induction plate itself doesn't actually heat up.

There are some small, round induction plates that are designed to be mounted in a table, which I think are for hotpot or similar use. Maybe in the near future I will try out one of those and install it in my tea table, or on a small cabinet next to it.
pantry

Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:23 pm

faj wrote:
DailyTX wrote:
I'd once cracked a reputable branded glass top stove while heating up a cast iron cookware. Since then, I have been careful with using glass top burner with ironwares, as they can get very hot.

I'm using Yamaki electric charcoal heater used for tea ceremony. I usually boil the water somewhere else first (electric kettle or put the chagama on gas stove).
DailyTX

Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:36 pm

Thank you everyone for contributing ideas