Tetsubin

Pants404

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:14 am

I just felt like taking a picture on the induction plate, which looks huge.
Content is content
Attachments
IMG_20200408_144140.jpg
IMG_20200408_144140.jpg (364.72 KiB) Viewed 9649 times
twno1

Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:35 pm

I left my testubin on the induction cooker and forgot about it... When I remembered all the water had boiled out and the induction cooker overheated and auto shut off. I know you're not supposed to dry heat testubins - is there anything I should watch out for to know if my testubin is ruined or not?
pantry

Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:13 pm

twno1 wrote:
I left my testubin on the induction cooker and forgot about it... When I remembered all the water had boiled out and the induction cooker overheated and auto shut off. I know you're not supposed to dry heat testubins - is there anything I should watch out for to know if my testubin is ruined or not?
Once your tetsubin cools down, check the urushi inside and see if it cracks/peels off. If it does, then do the usually home-repair by boiling rice porridge to seal it off. If your testsubin doesn't have any urushi coating, it should be fine. Just be careful next time. Hope this helps!
twno1

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:13 pm

pantry wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:13 pm
twno1 wrote:
Once your tetsubin cools down, check the urushi inside and see if it cracks/peels off. If it does, then do the usually home-repair by boiling rice porridge to seal it off. If your testsubin doesn't have any urushi coating, it should be fine. Just be careful next time. Hope this helps!
I read the article on hojotea about testubin and I don't see an urushi spot on my tetsubin.
Additionally, do you have any (safe) tips on how to clean rust out of my tetsubin? I got it about 3 weeks ago and have only boiled water in it on the second lowest heat setting on my induction cooker. Every time I finish, I dump all of the water out, turn off the induction cooker, and let it dry without the lid. It usually dries in about 5 seconds due to the residual heat. However, rust (red stuff) started appearing as early as the second day of use despite doing this. I know that rust is more or less "safe" but the look kind of bothers me...
pantry

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:57 pm

twno1 wrote:
I read the article on hojotea about testubin and I don't see an urushi spot on my tetsubin.
Additionally, do you have any (safe) tips on how to clean rust out of my tetsubin? I got it about 3 weeks ago and have only boiled water in it on the second lowest heat setting on my induction cooker. Every time I finish, I dump all of the water out, turn off the induction cooker, and let it dry without the lid. It usually dries in about 5 seconds due to the residual heat. However, rust (red stuff) started appearing as early as the second day of use despite doing this. I know that rust is more or less "safe" but the look kind of bothers me...
Maybe yours doesn't have any coating? Can you show me a picture please? I'm guessing it's straight iron because of the rust you mentioned.
Rust is inevitable, but you shouldn't see it within 3 weeks of getting it brand new. Did you store your tetsubin away soon after it seemed dry? Typically I left it out (without lid) overnight (20+hrs) before storing it away after each use. Because mine's coated, I don't put it back on the stove I just used. If you dump the water while the water's still boiling hot, the kettle should dry quickly. To treat the rust, you can scrub it with a loofah. I'm not sure if sealing uncoated kettle with rice porridge is recommended, but you can certainly try the tea treatment.
twno1

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:12 pm

pantry wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:57 pm
twno1 wrote:
Maybe yours doesn't have any coating? Can you show me a picture please? I'm guessing it's straight iron because of the rust you mentioned.
Rust is inevitable, but you shouldn't see it within 3 weeks of getting it brand new. Did you store your tetsubin away soon after it seemed dry? Typically I left it out (without lid) overnight (20+hrs) before storing it away after each use. Because mine's coated, I don't put it back on the stove I just used. If you dump the water while the water's still boiling hot, the kettle should dry quickly. To treat the rust, you can scrub it with a loofah. I'm not sure if sealing uncoated kettle with rice porridge is recommended, but you can certainly try the tea treatment.
Iwachu brand testubin, bought brand new about 3 weeks ago. I don't store it, I just leave it on my induction cooker (off). I wiped the lid dry with a paper towel and put it on the tetsubin immediately after the tetsubin dries - I didn't wait for it to completely cool down. I figured if there was no water left it was fine...

pantry

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:24 pm

twno1 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:12 pm

Iwachu brand testubin, bought brand new about 3 weeks ago. I don't store it, I just leave it on my induction cooker (off). I wiped the lid dry with a paper towel and put it on the tetsubin immediately after the tetsubin dries - I didn't wait for it to completely cool down. I figured if there was no water left it was fine...
Ooh, that's a lot more rust than I anticipated. I'd suggest that in the future, don't close the lid until 24 hours later or so. While I have a few sciences degrees, I'm not gonna pretend I know how this works scientifically :lol: Just conventional wisdom passing down from my tea teacher / senior students...
twno1

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:25 pm

pantry wrote:
Ooh, that's a lot more rust than I anticipated. I'd suggest that in the future, don't close the lid until 24 hours later or so. While I have a few sciences degrees, I'm not gonna pretend I know how this works scientifically :lol: Just conventional wisdom passing down from my tea teacher / senior students...
I am going to try to softly scrub with a sponge and then boil some tea. Thanks for the advice! I think I'll stop using my lid alltogether except when pouring...
pantry

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:29 pm

twno1 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:25 pm
pantry wrote:
I am going to try to softly scrub with a sponge and then boil some tea. Thanks for the advice! I think I'll stop using my lid alltogether except when pouring...
Using lid is fine, just not when drying ;)
Actually, my teacher might have said to leave it out for 2-3 days (I don't remember if the advice was for the kettle or something else), but 24hr works for me so far. Anyway, good luck!
twno1

Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:41 am

pantry wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:29 pm
Using lid is fine, just not when drying ;)
Actually, my teacher might have said to leave it out for 2-3 days (I don't remember if the advice was for the kettle or something else), but 24hr works for me so far. Anyway, good luck!
I ended up softly scrubbing the insides of my tetsubin with a soft sponge and then boiling some (cheap) gyokuro in it for about 5 minutes. The water turned purple and the rust blackened. However, I've boiled 3 pots of clean water in my testubin after and the water that comes out is still kind of brown... The rust has also deblackened and is back to red/brown. Any ideas on what to do?
Bok
Vendor

Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:54 am

@twno1 keep boiling until clean... can be a couple of times until that is the case
twno1

Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:01 am

Bok wrote:
twno1 keep boiling until clean... can be a couple of times until that is the case
Like this?
Fill cold tetsubin with cold water -> boil until boiling -> dump out water -> wait until completely cool -> repeat
Should I let it boil for a while or just dump out the water immediately once it boils?
Bok
Vendor

Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:30 am

twno1 wrote:
Bok wrote:
twno1 keep boiling until clean... can be a couple of times until that is the case
Like this?
Fill cold tetsubin with cold water -> boil until boiling -> dump out water -> wait until completely cool -> repeat
Should I let it boil for a while or just dump out the water immediately once it boils?
Just keep boiling longer, then dump then boil again. To speed up don’t drain it fully and add water on top
twno1

Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:17 am

Bok wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:30 am
twno1 wrote:
Bok wrote:
Like this?
Just keep boiling longer, then dump then boil again. To speed up don’t drain it fully and add water on top
I've done it about 6 times now and the water coming out is still yellow... Any other suggestions?
Bok
Vendor

Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:36 am

Another thing you can try is use some rice water to further boil.

If that doesn’t help, maybe there is something wrong with it... it’s a mass produced kettle, so you never know.