Tetsubin

Bok
Vendor

Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:13 am

karma wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:19 am
Any advice for a new Tetsubin owner? Gonna go get a hot plate after my classes end.
Use it! The more it sees use, the nicer it will get.

Most important ting is to immediately let dry open after use. Best is to heat a little water to boil, rinse out completely and let dry the steaming pot. This is the fastest way to eliminate any excess moisture after use.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:33 pm

@Bok Honestly so far its been hard NOT to use it! Used it for my girlfriend's instant ramen last night. :lol:
faj

Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:26 pm

karma wrote:
Bok Honestly so far its been hard NOT to use it! Used it for my girlfriend's instant ramen last night. :lol:
Did you find those ramen had a thicker mouthfeel and deeper aftertaste? :lol:

Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:54 pm

faj wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:26 pm
karma wrote:
Bok Honestly so far its been hard NOT to use it! Used it for my girlfriend's instant ramen last night. :lol:
Did you find those ramen had a thicker mouthfeel and deeper aftertaste? :lol:
The beef seasoning had a newfound fullness of flavor :lol: :lol:
OCTO

Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:47 am

@karma

Take some time to practice your pour technique with the tetsubin..... try at best to emulate the goose-neck kettle's stream.....

*TIP: keep watch and experiment with the water level in the tetsubin.

Cheers!!
vuanguyen

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:11 am

I think I'm the only one who think Tetsubin is so overrated. It caused all my teas to taste less sweet :(
Bok
Vendor

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:04 am

vuanguyen wrote:
I think I'm the only one who think Tetsubin is so overrated. It caused all my teas to taste less sweet :(
you got the wrong tetsubin, or tetsubin/water combination.
vuanguyen

Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:08 am

Bok wrote:
vuanguyen wrote:
You may be right @Bok since I am the only one who is noticing this.

On a slightly different topic, I remember vaguely reading somewhere about Lu Yu's "the Classic of Tea" or some other ancient book that there is a passage saying to avoid using iron utensil in tea. Not sure if this is correct or not.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:16 am

vuanguyen wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:08 am
Bok wrote:
vuanguyen wrote:

You may be right Bok since I am the only one who is noticing this.

On a slightly different topic, I remember vaguely reading somewhere about Lu Yu's "the Classic of Tea" or some other ancient book that there is a passage saying to avoid using iron utensil in tea. Not sure if this is correct or not.
Not to forget that when those were written, people were still preparing tea in a vastly different way... either some sort of grand pa or whisked brew like matcha, so most of what is written there doesn’t really apply to today’s tea.

Tetsubin were also probably not even invented yet, or available in China.
DailyTX

Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:28 am

@karma's post got me looking for a tetsubin again. I have been on and off with my search for one. Some tetsubin has a wax inside, some do not. Anyone wants to chime in if the inner wax is a plus or minus? I found a used one for 150-200 usd range, but the inner bottom may have some mineral built up. Do you think this is cleanable/usable?
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (110.96 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
.m.

Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:01 pm

It looks perfectly good to me, just a bit of rust - it can be blackened by boiling some tea in, but in general some rust is expected and hardly avoidable. :D

Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:53 pm

OCTO wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:47 am
Take some time to practice your pour technique with the tetsubin..... try at best to emulate the goose-neck kettle's stream.....

*TIP: keep watch and experiment with the water level in the tetsubin.

Cheers!!
What, exactly, should I be looking for with regard to the water level?
Victoria
Admin

Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:08 pm

DailyTX wrote:
karma's post got me looking for a tetsubin again. I have been on and off with my search for one. Some tetsubin has a wax inside, some do not. Anyone wants to chime in if the inner wax is a plus or minus? I found a used one for 150-200 usd range, but the inner bottom may have some mineral built up. Do you think this is cleanable/usable?
Looks pretty usable you‘ll just need to boil used or cheap tea leaves a few times to remove some of the rust and reseal the surface. Earlier in another thread I describe the process I’ve used to get a used somewhat rusty tetsubin back into shape. I’ve not heard of any wax being used inside a tetsubin, that sounds counterproductive. Urishi is sometimes used on the outside to seal the exterior surface, and also on the bottom to plug up casting holes. The inside is heat sealed, similar to gun blueing, and should not be raked or brushed with any metal abrasive brush, this will further degrade the seal. Some members have used citric acid to remove mineral deposits. Looking forward to hearing which method you use.
DailyTX

Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:08 pm

Victoria wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:08 pm
DailyTX wrote:
karma's post got me looking for a tetsubin again. I have been on and off with my search for one. Some tetsubin has a wax inside, some do not. Anyone wants to chime in if the inner wax is a plus or minus? I found a used one for 150-200 usd range, but the inner bottom may have some mineral built up. Do you think this is cleanable/usable?
Looks pretty usable you‘ll just need to boil used or cheap tea leaves a few times to remove some of the rust and reseal the surface. Earlier in another thread I describe the process I’ve used to get a used somewhat rusty tetsubin back into shape. I’ve not heard of any wax being used inside a tetsubin, that sounds counterproductive. Urishi is sometimes used on the outside to seal the exterior surface, and also on the bottom to plug up casting holes. The inside is heat sealed, similar to gun blueing, and should not be raked or brushed with any metal abrasive brush, this will further degrade the seal. Some members have used citric acid to remove mineral deposits. Looking forward to hearing which method you use.
@Victoria
Thank you for the link. This looks like a good weekend project. Do you know based on the photo, do you think Urushi was used to treat the inside? I read the info from Hojo that the color of the inside is blue-gray if it’s untreated while treated with Urushi has a black color
Victoria
Admin

Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:22 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:08 pm
Victoria
Thank you for the link. This looks like a good weekend project. Do you know based on the photo, do you think Urushi was used to treat the inside? I read the info from Hojo that the color of the inside is blue-gray if it’s untreated while treated with Urushi has a black color
It’s pretty hard to tell, the inside should be somewhat rough to the touch without urishi inside.