Electric Kettles

Janice

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:23 pm

The brewista is on sale on their site for $78.95 - probably plus shipping. I don’t see it on Amazon anymore. I’m interested because my Bonavita is acting up and I’d like to try something with better electronics. What I love about the gooseneck is the ergonomics of pouring. My sore shoulder healed within a week of shifting from a traditional tea kettle to the gooseneck.

https://www.mybrewista.com/collections/ ... ure-kettle
Tillerman
Vendor

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:31 pm

Janice wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:23 pm
The brewista is on sale on their site for $78.95 - probably plus shipping. I don’t see it on Amazon anymore. I’m interested because my Bonavita is acting up and I’d like to try something with better electronics. What I love about the gooseneck is the ergonomics of pouring. My sore shoulder healed within a week of shifting from a traditional tea kettle to the gooseneck.

https://www.mybrewista.com/collections/ ... ure-kettle
Yes, I too noted the sale price from Brewista. I think the kettle design is better than a goose-neck for it allows for both rapid and slow pouring. On the electronics, the kettle uses a set of "relay switches?" that ease the water up to temperature. For example, if you want boiling water once it approaches boiling the kettle slows down the addition of heat so you do reach full boiling temperature without having the water come to a roiling torrent.

I've used the kettle for two years now and am very pleased.
Youzi

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:46 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:33 pm
This kettle isGREAT! I have been using for my own use and at tea festivals for a couple of years now. It is available online from Amazon or directly from the manufacturer. I see you are in China, do you not have access to these sites? I'll help if I can; PM and we can discuss.
My Problem is, that I cannot find a 230V version of this. In china I only found the "Artistic" type of Brewista, but not this one. And on European sites, I cannot seem to find this model neither.
Tillerman
Vendor

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:51 pm

Youzi wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:46 pm
Tillerman wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:33 pm
This kettle isGREAT! I have been using for my own use and at tea festivals for a couple of years now. It is available online from Amazon or directly from the manufacturer. I see you are in China, do you not have access to these sites? I'll help if I can; PM and we can discuss.
My Problem is, that I cannot find a 230V version of this. In china I only found the "Artistic" type of Brewista, but not this one. And on European sites, I cannot seem to find this model neither.
Try Australia. I know that Tania Stacy has this kettle (which she too loves) so it might still be available there.
Tillerman
Vendor

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:58 pm

@Youzi On this site https://www.mybrewista.com/products/sto ... ure-kettle there is a link to an email address for orders outside North America. I'll see if I can get you Australia ordering information.
Youzi

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:23 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:58 pm
Youzi On this site https://www.mybrewista.com/products/sto ... ure-kettle there is a link to an email address for orders outside North America. I'll see if I can get you Australia ordering information.
I just wrote them an email, thanks, I haven't seen that small text :D
I'll ask them about the details, this kettle could be the dream kettle for Gong Fu, for the reasons you mentioned. Brewista is from the designer of the Bonavita Kettles, so I have high expectations for it. :D
Tillerman
Vendor

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:42 pm

@Youzi, here is an Australian site that carries the kettle in the 230V version.https://alternativebrewing.com.au/produ ... -variable/
Chefman

Thu May 14, 2020 9:28 pm

Hello all! New here.

I LOVE iced tea. Recently I bought a Chefman Tea Kettle at Costco, model # RJ11-17-TI. I like it a lot. I have a few questions though, and the company doesn't seem to be (ahem!) answering their emails.

First, it holds 1.8 liters, but the owner's manual gives no indication at all how much tea to use. I am not going to bother with anything fancy or use loose tea leaves. I started off using one family sized Lipton tea bag, but that did not seem adequate, and most everything I have seen online seems to indicate one is not NEARLY enough for 1.8 liters. So I upgraded to two. That tasted a bit better. Do I go to three? Four? What do you all say is appropriate?

Secondly, the unit comes with an infuser device, which is to be removed before boiling the water and then inserted with the tea bags inside it once the water is boiled. Well, the infuser is somewhat difficult to get into the top, as the kettle cap only bends so far back, so you have to jiggle it in at an angle initially and then flip it downward, all while the boiling water is blowing scalding steam on you. If I'm using tea BAGS, is there any reason I should even bother with the infuser? Or can I just hang the tea bags over the side without it? And since the infuser diameter is limited, I can't really get more than two tea bags in it anyway, which limits my potential infusion. If I end up using 3 or more bags, I really can't even use the infuser. The manual just doesn't give you a whole lot of information, so I'm coming to you, the tea experts.

I appreciate any replies!

Chefman
Last edited by Victoria on Thu May 14, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: moved post
Bok
Vendor

Thu May 14, 2020 9:42 pm

Chefman wrote:
a Chefman Tea Kettle at Costco, model # RJ11-17-TI. I like it a lot.
Chefman
Is that a coincidence that your username is the same as the brand of the kettle, or are you just promoting your own products? :roll:
klepto

Thu May 14, 2020 9:43 pm

Gaaah, my beloved Bonavita Interurban 1L kettle showed some dead pixels on the screen. I'll have to RMA it to Amazon pretty soon. We had great memories and the tea exploration we had I'll never forget.
Chefman

Thu May 14, 2020 9:47 pm

Bok wrote:
Chefman wrote:
Chefman
Is that a coincidence that your username is the same as the brand of the kettle, or are you just promoting your own products? :roll:
Hah! No, no promotion being done here. I just figured it was an easy username since I am not by nature a creative person. It hit me to use that since that was the nature of my question. Good question!
Bok
Vendor

Thu May 14, 2020 10:02 pm

Chefman wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:47 pm
Bok wrote:
Chefman wrote:
Chefman
Hah! No, no promotion being done here. I just figured it was an easy username since I am not by nature a creative person. It hit me to use that since that was the nature of my question. Good question!
ok then... I would consider to at least open up the teabags. Being restrained twice doesn't help the flavour to come out. Not speaking of that taste coming from the bags.
Chefman

Thu May 14, 2020 10:08 pm

So you're saying then that I should pour the bag contents into the infuser and toss the bags? And again, how many bags? I'm not going to get fancy. I just want some basic Lipton tea. I'm just a novice and have no idea what I'm doing here.
Bok
Vendor

Thu May 14, 2020 10:25 pm

Chefman wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:08 pm
So you're saying then that I should pour the bag contents into the infuser and toss the bags? And again, how many bags? I'm not going to get fancy. I just want some basic Lipton tea. I'm just a novice and have no idea what I'm doing here.
Couldn't tell you how many, just try it. The bags are dirt cheap anyways, doesn't cost you much to run a few tests until you find what you like.
Bok
Vendor

Thu May 14, 2020 10:26 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:25 pm
The bags are dirt cheap anyways
Just occurred to me: or are they cheap-dirt? :lol: