Electric Kettles

Victoria
Admin

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:07 pm

Electric Kettles, please share your wares and questions.
debunix

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:25 am

Good topic idea.

Quoting myself to avoid repetitive typing….
debunix wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:19 pm
I've still got one of the three original Pino Digital Kettle Pros that I bought back in 2010: one just stopped heating, and the other one developed a problem with the control pad. They weren't UL-listed, and the company stopped making them, so replacing them was not an option by the time the first one died.

Then I bought two Bonavita gooseneck kettles, one of which works flawlessly, after 3 years of daily use, and another of very similar vintage has a problem with the temp control meaning that I sometimes set it to heat, and return to find an overtemp warning that requires turning it off and on to clear. So one excellent kettle and one semi-lemon out of two.

The Bonavita is much easier to handle, and the preset temps from which I can dial up and down by single degrees are very handy--click to 140°F and bump up to 160 for a first infusion of sencha, and for the 3rd infusion, one click instead of 16 takes me to 176, but the 1.5 L of the Pinos is nice for work, when I often want to heat enough water to fill my 1 quart thermos and make 2 cups of tea before I take the thermos for an afternoon in the workroom, and the temp adjusts by single degrees from 104 to 205 but you have to click & hold to watch it dial up and down degree by degree, no presets.

So I'm always looking out for the next best thing....wishing for a 1.5 L kettle with a gooseneck that lets me set temps by single degree from 110 to 212, and has an option to jump by 10 or 20 degrees at a time as well, and that has very reliable button/dials/keypads/displays.
And a few months later….
debunix wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:44 pm
I just bought a new kettle from Amazon because another Bonavita is having issues. I checked my purchase history and I've bought three Bonavita 1L gooseneck variable temp kettles (BV382510V), in 2013, 2015, and 2017.

The 2013 pot developed a fault where it stopped heating entirely in 2017, after almost 4 years of daily use, before and after work on most weekdays, and for 3-5 individual teas on weekends. Each session may involve touching the keypads at least once for heating water for 3-8 infusion per tea, and with the green teas, resetting temp with nearly every infusion--a lot of use.

The 2015 pot was in a satellite office where I have 2-4 sessions/day 3 days a month--not such heavy use, and soon after I got it—maybe immediately, I can’t recall—it showed the ‘hi-err’ problem which is well known per the manufacturer. I can work around that, so I didn’t replace it right away, but I see now there is a manufacturer replacement program that may deal with that.

But this week I’m starting to see a different glitch in my 2017 pot—seems like it is having trouble recognizing that the pot is connected to the base. I can’t see any buildup of debris around the connections between base and pot, so again I’m thinking maybe fault with the electrics.

One pot glitching after less than 4 years, one almost out of the box, and one more after just under a year, from 3 purchased, seems a bit much. So I decided to try a different item, and found this one that hasn’t been mentioned here yet: Gourmia GPK720 Electric Kettle (Amazon link).

It looks nearly identical to the Bonavita, a gooseneck pot with separate corded base, and in fact the Bonavita pot works on the Gourmia base, and the Gourmia pot works on the Bonavita base. But: the Gourmia has a wider temperature range, 212 down to 104 degrees, and a different but equally rapid way of making larger temp jumps so you can set temps to the exact degree but also can go from 104 to 212 without watching the display go up one degree at a time.

Why do I care about temps below 140 degrees? I like water about 105 degrees for my sinus rinse each morning when the air is dry or my allergies are acting up. So I make sure to heat some water to boil before I go to sleep, and the next AM warm the pre-boiled water to 105, fill the sinus rinse bottle with that plus the salt packet, and comfortable happy nose awaits. That’s really the only use I have for that low but precisely controlled temp.

It’s much to early to say if the Gourmia electrics will prove more lasting than the Bonavita; and I’ve definitely seen one of the reported issues where the Gourmia tends to overshoot the goal temp a few degrees before settling back to that goal temp and holding. But it seems like it might be a reasonable alternative with just a little more temperature flexibility; and for the plastic-phobic, there is no plastic inside the kettle (although that does make me wonder about the durability of the handle-body connection of the pot).
Still very happy with the Gourmia kettle but only have a month invested in it to date.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:45 am

Debunix, Glad you got this thread going with so much info. For what it’s worth my Bonavita is working great after a year. For the price and using everyday I’d say it’s a good deal. Not a Longines Swiss timepiece, but pretty reliable and economical for me so far.
Brent D

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:18 pm

I bought the Bonavita 1 liter and the Brewista smart pour (1.2L?) at about the same time, just a few months ago.
So far so good. I like the Brewista a bit better. Its a hair larger. It has an audible noise when it gets to temp, and it has no plastic on the inside, while the Bonavita does have a small plastic piece at the top of the handle. The Bonavita also has no sound when it gets to temp.
A nice feature that is lost on me is that the Brewista also has a setting so you can have it turn on at a certain time.
Both of these kettles have the unfortunate feature where they shut off when the kettle is removed from the base. You have to push a button after you put it back to make them keep temp. Epic fail IMO.

Overall, id recommend the Brewista. The Bonavita is great, but the Brewista is a little better.
puffbutt

Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:33 am

Still have lots of kamjove questions!
Victoria
Admin

Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:47 am

Brent D wrote:
I bought the Bonavita 1 liter and the Brewista smart pour (1.2L?) at about the same time, just a few months ago.
So far so good. I like the Brewista a bit better. Its a hair larger. It has an audible noise when it gets to temp, and it has no plastic on the inside, while the Bonavita does have a small plastic piece at the top of the handle. The Bonavita also has no sound when it gets to temp.
A nice feature that is lost on me is that the Brewista also has a setting so you can have it turn on at a certain time.
Both of these kettles have the unfortunate feature where they shut off when the kettle is removed from the base. You have to push a button after you put it back to make them keep temp. Epic fail IMO.

Overall, id recommend the Brewista. The Bonavita is great, but the Brewista is a little better.
In the Bonavita, the interior plastic is ‘out of range’ of any heated water ever touching it. The base lets you know actual water temperature after you put kettle back on base. Auto shut-off is a safety feature and conserves electricity, although I guess it could have a sensor to detect water level before shutting off, as an option. When set heating temperature is reached, a subtle clicking sound is activated. Also, Bonavita comes in 1 and 1.7 liter sizes. The larger size is good if you host get togethers and tastings, not necessary for single use though. A design flaw (or intended for thorough drying and protection) is that base unit is not waterproof, so supplied removable plastic sleeve should be kept on at all times and dried when necessary. Plastic sleeve also protects digital push buttons, extending their use.
Brent D

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:21 am

Victoria wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:47 am
Brent D wrote:

In the Bonavita, the interior plastic is ‘out of range’ of any heated water ever touching it. The base lets you know actual water temperature after you put kettle back on base. Auto shut-off is a safety feature and conserves electricity, although I guess it could have a sensor to detect water level before shutting off, as an option. When set heating temperature is reached, a subtle clicking sound is activated. Also, Bonavita comes in 1 and 1.7 liter sizes. The larger size is good if you host get togethers and tastings, not necessary for single use though. A design flaw (or intended for thorough drying and protection) is that base unit is not waterproof, so supplied removable plastic sleeve should be kept on at all times and dried when necessary. Plastic sleeve also protects digital push buttons, extending their use.
Wouldnt the steam get on the plastic, then condense and run back down into the water? Perhaps im nitpicking, but given the option, the less plastic the better.
The brewista also tells the temp of the water after you put it back on the base.
The subtle clicking noise is the internal relay clicking on and off. The brewista does this too.
I did some research and the Brewista is actually made by one of the founders of the company that makes the Bonavita. He apparently broke off and started his own company. It shows in the design. They are almost identical, with the Brewista having a few more refinements IMO.
I also forgot to mention that I find the handle on the Brewista to be much more comfortable.
Janice

Tue May 15, 2018 12:24 pm

Brewista? Bonavita?

I have a Varietea from Adagio that’s working well enough, although I haven’t been double checking the temperature accuracy. The problem is that it’s heavy and awkward and aggravating shoulder/elbow issues. I was thinking that a smaller, gooseneck style kettle would be more ergonomic, especially when I want to keep the kettle on my kitchen table and lift it while I’m sitting.

The NY Times tested variable temp electric kettles and found the 1 liter Bonavita to be the most accurate. I can buy it from Amazon with a 4 year warranty for $69. They didn’t test the Brewista - probably too new. I’m a bit taken aback by the need to cover the controls.

Has anyone who owns the brewista tested its accuracy?
Last edited by Janice on Tue May 15, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OldWaysTea
Vendor

Tue May 15, 2018 12:32 pm

I'm a big fan of using an electric induction cooker with a normal metal kettle. I feel it separates the responsibilities well. There should be no reason to throw out a kettle just because some electronics break. I also enjoy having a selection of lighter and better designed kettles.
Brent D

Mon May 21, 2018 10:53 am

This is my bonavita, 3 months of use
Attachments
E4A11E44-0750-4317-A6D6-105AA090BCFE.jpeg
E4A11E44-0750-4317-A6D6-105AA090BCFE.jpeg (159.03 KiB) Viewed 17998 times
pedant
Admin

Mon May 21, 2018 11:14 am

Brent D wrote:
don't worry, some rust on the inside of your new tetsubin is normal
Brent D

Mon May 21, 2018 11:33 am

pedant wrote:
Brent D wrote:
Huh? I think you may have misread that.
No...rust showing up on the inside of a 3 month old, Stainless steel electric kettle is not normal.
Janice

Mon May 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Brent D wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:33 am
pedant wrote:
Brent D wrote:
Huh? I think you may have misread that.
No...rust showing up on the inside of a 3 month old, Stainless steel electric kettle is not normal.
I agree. Isn’t rust the stain that good stainless is supposed to eliminate? My Varietea is 18 months old and there are some pinpricks of rust on the bottom. I’m not happy even with that, but in my kettle’s defense I often leave water standing in it overnight with the lid closed.
Victoria
Admin

Mon May 21, 2018 12:55 pm

Oh, I leave water in my one year old kettle all the time and have no rust issues. Come to think of it though, maybe I should let it dry out more often, just in case. Brent, are you cleaning the inside of your kettle with something abrasive? Or have a lot of chlorine in water? With water boiling in there, no need to clean inside of kettle. It has a one year warranty, so they will replace it for you. With such low profit margins, the quality of stainless steel isn’t like a Rolex watch, and in a batch of several thousand there will probably be a few duds, like when a handle falls off, or a lid rusts out.
Brent D

Mon May 21, 2018 1:02 pm

Victoria wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 12:55 pm
Oh, I leave water in my one year old kettle all the time and have no rust issues. Come to think of it though, maybe I should let it dry out more often, just in case. Brent, are you cleaning the inside of your kettle with something abrasive? Or have a lot of chlorine in water? It has a one year warranty, so they will replace it for you. With such low profit margins, the quality of stainless steel isn’t like a Rolex watch, and in a batch of several thousand there will probably be a few duds, like when a handle falls off, or a lid rusts out.
Nothing but bottled water has ever been put in it. Never had to clean or descale it.
Warranty claim already filled out. Ill let you know how it goes.