Top electric kettle

debunix

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:40 am

Glad to have been helpful. Enjoying some more of the Floating Dreams Bridge gyokuro from Tsuen, joy, running up through the temperatures as I try to exhaust the tea. I'm thinking one more with water at the boil, long, and then a last cover with cold water to drink this evening.
Denmano

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:09 am

I'm in the market for an variable temperature kettle. I only need the liter size but am open to larger if absolutely necessary. What I don't understand is why the smaller gooseneck kettles are all either 1000 or in a few cases, 1200 watts. My current 1 liter Hamilton Beach glass kettle is 1500 watts. Aren't these smaller gooseneck kettles slow to boil or reach the programmed temperature? I also read a lot about how these kettles really slow down as they hit the target temperature as compared to a kettle without temperature control. Any thoughts? Thank you!
Victoria
Admin

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:27 pm

Denmano wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:09 am
I'm in the market for an variable temperature kettle. I only need the liter size but am open to larger if absolutely necessary. What I don't understand is why the smaller gooseneck kettles are all either 1000 or in a few cases, 1200 watts. My current 1 liter Hamilton Beach glass kettle is 1500 watts. Aren't these smaller gooseneck kettles slow to boil or reach the programmed temperature? I also read a lot about how these kettles really slow down as they hit the target temperature as compared to a kettle without temperature control. Any thoughts? Thank you!
Welcome to TeaForum. I have a 1.6 Liter Bonavita kettle (because I host tea gatherings) and have had no issues with it, except I wish I could preset temperature ranges in-between their own presets of 140/176/185/190/205/208f. Putting 1 liter cold water in the kettle it takes 3min. 35sec to reach 208f. No slowdown as it reaches set temperature. You can hold set temperature. It does a clicking noise a few times as it gets close to the temperature set, which is a nice slightly audible notification.
Denmano

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:31 pm

Thank you, Victoria! That's interesting to know that you can't select other specific temperatures on your kettle. I'm looking now at a Mooka 1 Liter. It is only 1000 watts, but they advertise a boil in 4 to 6 minutes which isn't too bad. I'll keep you posted!
Victoria
Admin

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:26 pm

Denmano wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:31 pm
Thank you, Victoria! That's interesting to know that you can't select other specific temperatures on your kettle. I'm looking now at a Mooka 1 Liter. It is only 1000 watts, but they advertise a boil in 4 to 6 minutes which isn't too bad. I'll keep you posted!
Hi there, just to clarify, you can select any temperature between 140-212 Fahrenheit, you just can’t ‘pre-program’ outside of the kettles pre-set temperatures of 140/176/185/190/205/208f (60/80/85/88/96/98 Celsius).
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:29 am

About pre-sets of the Bonavita: If you have added or subtracted from a pre-set temperature (using + or - buttons) that temperature setting will remain in place until you move to another setting. In my use of my 1 liter pot I often heat water for infusions hours or even days after my first tea session using the same "adjusted" setting, that is temperature above or below a preset temperature, without needing to hit any buttons to set temperature. The kettle works to heat to the last temperature it made. All that matters is that I did not go to another setting. The adjusted setting remains.....Anyway it is not so many seconds to make changes. One can usually + or - a pre-set temperature with just a few presses of a finger.

Time it takes to come to a boil: Why fill the kettle with water to start your day? Half full, the water is heated fully around the time it has taken me to rinse my teaware with hot tap water, put tea leaves into the bowl, gaiwan, or teapot I am using, secure the foil packet of tea leaves or put a tea caddy on a shelf, etc. In other words, my routines don't leave me worrying & waiting for water to boil. (One can add water to the kettle while tea is steeping also or put water into a pitcher from his filter, etc.)

Half a kettle of water does not take half the time to boil as a full kettle; it takes much less time than half (especially, if I am not waiting for the water to boil)!
Victoria
Admin

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:39 am

Ethan Kurland wrote:
About pre-sets of the Bonavita: If you have added or subtracted from a pre-set temperature (using + or - buttons) that temperature setting will remain in place until you move to another setting. In my use of my 1 liter pot I often heat water for infusions hours or even days after my first tea session using the same "adjusted" setting, that is temperature above or below a preset temperature, without needing to hit any buttons to set temperature. The kettle works to heat to the last temperature it made. All that matters is that I did not go to another setting. The adjusted setting remains.....Anyway it is not so many seconds to make changes. One can usually + or - a pre-set temperature with just a few presses of a finger.

Time it takes to come to a boil: Why fill the kettle with water to start your day? Half full, the water is heated fully around the time it has taken me to rinse my teaware with hot tap water, put tea leaves into the bowl, gaiwan, or teapot I am using, secure the foil packet of tea leaves or put a tea caddy on a shelf, etc. In other words, my routines don't leave me worrying & waiting for water to boil. (One can add water to the kettle while tea is steeping also or put water into a pitcher from his filter, etc.)

Half a kettle of water does not take half the time to boil as a full kettle; it takes much less time than half (especially, if I am not waiting for the water to boil)!
Ha, nice narrative and agree with you on all counts :) .
debunix

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:19 am

I heat as little as possible at a time when I'm in a hurry, or in hot weather where I want to minimize the heat in the kitchen. I always want my kettle-filling pitcher full, but rarely fill the kettle itself unless I'm going to set up a thermos for hours or a day away from the kettle.
Denmano

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:54 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:

Thank you all for helping clarify all of this. That's good news to hear that the 1 liter Bonavita with 1000 watts heats water that quickly. I just purchased the Mooka 1 Liter (I really like the black color) and am waiting for it to arrive. I'll keep you posted!
Janice

Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:52 pm

I’m resurrecting this topic because my 1L Bonavita kettle is either dead or dying. I bought it on Amazon Prime Day in July 2018 for $43 + another $6 for a warranty and for 15 months I’ve been happy. At least the warranty company stood behind their product and sent me an amazon e-gift card within minutes of filing a claim. I’m back to using my dependable but unwieldy Adagio Varietea kettle.

Does anyone care to update their experience with their variable temp kettle? Some of the more obscure brands mentioned here are no longer available on Amazon.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:13 pm

Janice wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:52 pm
I’m resurrecting this topic because my 1L Bonavita kettle is either dead or dying. I bought it on Amazon Prime Day in July 2018 for $43 + another $6 for a warranty and for 15 months I’ve been happy. At least the warranty company stood behind their product and sent me an amazon e-gift card within minutes of filing a claim. I’m back to using my dependable but unwieldy Adagio Varietea kettle.

Does anyone care to update their experience with their variable temp kettle? Some of the more obscure brands mentioned here are no longer available on Amazon.
Janice, @pedant is presently conducting a kettle comparison and review of current models on the market. Not sure when he will post his review, but soon I think :). I highly recommend Stagg, it is aesthetically pleasing, fast, quiet, easy to handle... I have both 1.7L Bonavita and .9L Stagg.
Janice

Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:13 pm

I’ve been following that thread and the comparisons will be interesting. I was hoping for some feedback about durability here. My adagio kettle is accurate and sturdy but I miss some of the more refined features of the bonavita such as the ability to set an exact temperature.